Saving up for a lift. Suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Saving up for a lift. Suggestions?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 10-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Stickzz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Saving up for a lift. Suggestions?

So, I'm saving up for a nice lift on my '03 TJ. Read good things about Old Man Emu and Rubicon Express. RE seems a little expensive, OME seems like a nice choice.

Current Specs:
Tire/Wheel -29 x 9.5 R15
Axle - Dana 44 / 3.73 Ratio
Trans - 5 Speed (fyi -shrug-)

Wanting -
Tires - 32s or 33s (suggestions?)
Lift - Suspension, 2-3" (suggestions/tips?)
Able to have the 32/33s a good look while being functional.
Don't want a body lift.

I'm going to be doing some offroading, but nothing extreme. It's my daily driver, use it on highways (55mph). Also live in PA, so I'll be dealing with some snow if it matters. Max budget is $1k.

Friend is going to be teaching me how to install it, he's lifted 2 YJs, but I thought I'd get the forums view.

If you guys need more info from me, feel free to ask.

Stickzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
Davf24
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickzz
So, I'm saving up for a nice lift on my '03 TJ. Read good things about Old Man Emu and Rubicon Express. RE seems a little expensive, OME seems like a nice choice.

Current Specs:
Tire/Wheel -29 x 9.5 R15
Axle - Dana 44 / 3.73 Ratio
Trans - 5 Speed (fyi -shrug-)

Wanting -
Tires - 32s or 33s (suggestions?)
Lift - Suspension, 2-3" (suggestions/tips?)
Able to have the 32/33s a good look while being functional.
Don't want a body lift.

I'm going to be doing some offroading, but nothing extreme. It's my daily driver, use it on highways (55mph). Also live in PA, so I'll be dealing with some snow if it matters. Max budget is $1k.

Friend is going to be teaching me how to install it, he's lifted 2 YJs, but I thought I'd get the forums view.

If you guys need more info from me, feel free to ask.
I would suggest that when you get the lift make sure it comes with new lower four links the stock ones get very noisy and lose
Davf24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
austeezy
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Metal Cloaks. Or some kind of tube fenders. They look awesome, you'll easily clear 33's, and you won't have to deal with all the issues that come w/ a lift. Cloaks will be my next mod but I wish I would've started w/ them instead.
austeezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Stickzz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davf24 View Post
I would suggest that when you get the lift make sure it comes with new lower four links the stock ones get very noisy and lose
Sorry, a bit new to to Jeeps (mechanics in general, lol). I don't know what part you're talking about, will it be listed in the parts of the lift, are they cheap/easy to find/buy?
Unread 10-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Davf24
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickzz

Sorry, a bit new to to Jeeps (mechanics in general, lol). I don't know what part you're talking about, will it be listed in the parts of the lift, are they cheap/easy to find/buy?
some lifts will include them, they are the lower links, when you look under your jeep they are the bars that connect from the frame to the axel (there are two top and two bottom per axel). I did a 3" lift and that did not come with new links and mine are lose and make lots of noise, I have also seen stock links fail. The key thing to do is figure out what kind of wheeling you plan on doing, do you want to go every weekend, once a month, what kind of wheeling will you be dong, lots of rocks, mud sand dirt trails combo of all. start small and figure out what you like to do then build your rig, I would keep it stock or start with a 2" easy lift add 31x10.5x15 A/T's or Mud tires that way you can get a sense of what type of wheeling you want to do, then built your dream rig.
Davf24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
Bills03tj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I did the Zone 3" lift and I'm very, very happy with it. Mine rides better than stock and it does very well off road. The people at Zone were very helpful when I had questions. They are an advertiser here and I would recommend checking out the feedback here also. The kit I got is very affordable and I did add their sway bar disconnects.
Bills03tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
Stickzz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davf24 View Post
some lifts will include them, they are the lower links, when you look under your jeep they are the bars that connect from the frame to the axel (there are two top and two bottom per axel). I did a 3" lift and that did not come with new links and mine are lose and make lots of noise, I have also seen stock links fail. The key thing to do is figure out what kind of wheeling you plan on doing, do you want to go every weekend, once a month, what kind of wheeling will you be dong, lots of rocks, mud sand dirt trails combo of all. start small and figure out what you like to do then build your rig, I would keep it stock or start with a 2" easy lift add 31x10.5x15 A/T's or Mud tires that way you can get a sense of what type of wheeling you want to do, then built your dream rig.
Really can't find what item you mean. Is it also known as a stabilizer or control arm? Or is it, for example, part of the Rubicon Express kit with "Tri-Link"?
Unread 10-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
Cavasar
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard nothing but good things about the Zone 4.25" kit (3" SL 1.25" BL and 1"MML). Why don't you want a body lift? I'll be getting the 4.25" kit in a few weeks hopefully, or you could just order the 3" SL from Zone Offroad for $459.99 http://zoneoffroad.com/prod-display?ca=1&ma=6&mo=56
Unread 10-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
Stickzz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavasar View Post
I've heard nothing but good things about the Zone 4.25" kit (3" SL 1.25" BL and 1"MML). Why don't you want a body lift? I'll be getting the 4.25" kit in a few weeks hopefully, or you could just order the 3" SL from Zone Offroad for $459.99 http://zoneoffroad.com/prod-display?ca=1&ma=6&mo=56
I've heard of mixed feelings about body lift, I don't think i'll need that BL with a 3" suspension/ Don't want to go too big for fear of death-wobble on the highway.

Edit: Does that kit include lower four links that Davf was talking about?
Unread 10-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickzz View Post
I've heard of mixed feelings about body lift, I don't think i'll need that BL with a 3" suspension/ Don't want to go too big for fear of death-wobble on the highway.

Edit: Does that kit include lower four links that Davf was talking about?
Why would you think you can get a death wobble with a lift over 3inch?
ctorres018 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
Stickzz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorres018 View Post
Why would you think you can get a death wobble with a lift over 3inch?
Not really sure, lol, it was my understanding that after 4" or so it happens at high speeds.
Unread 10-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickzz View Post
Not really sure, lol, it was my understanding that after 4" or so it happens at high speeds.
Not at all
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
Stickzz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post
Not at all
Hmm...
Unread 10-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

There is plenty of misinformation here already. Here are some suggestions. Call dpg and order an ome kit, add a 1.25" body lift and 1" motor mount lift. There is nothing wrong with a small body lift, it's when you get over the 1.25" mark problems seem to persist . If your factory lower control arms aren't wore out then don't bother change them until you can afford to buy a set with johnny joints at both ends. The cheap arms offered in kits like zone offer use polyurethane bushings in a tube design that doesn't flex and puts unnecessary stress on mounts causing them to crack, or even fail completely.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #15
Stickzz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
There is plenty of misinformation here already. Here are some suggestions. Call dpg and order an ome kit, add a 1.25" body lift and 1" motor mount lift. There is nothing wrong with a small body lift, it's when you get over the 1.25" mark problems seem to persist . If your factory lower control arms aren't wore out then don't bother change them until you can afford to buy a set with johnny joints at both ends. The cheap arms offered in kits like zone offer use polyurethane bushings in a tube design that doesn't flex and puts unnecessary stress on mounts causing them to crack, or even fail completely.
http://dpgoffroad.com/products/old-m...-wrangler-kit/ -- Correct? This is the kit I've seen. (but this is on the DPG site)

Mind me asking why you prefer DPG?

Edit: Also why would I need motor mounts?

Tags
lift , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.