Sanity check:Low Center of Gravity Build Plan - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Sanity check:Low Center of Gravity Build Plan

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 07-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #46
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Did you completely miss post #11?

no, you're wrong. the JKS bar (#126) doesn't clear the stock cover either with N66 shocks...needs 2" of bumpstop IIRC.
How about if I add a Riddler Diff Covers? I really don't know anything about it other than it's stronger that stock.

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Currie Control Arms Install Tips
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]
UncleWilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #47
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWilson View Post
How about if I add a Riddler Diff Covers? I really don't know anything about it other than it's stronger that stock.
the stock cover is the lowest profile available.

the riddler cover requires ~3.5" bumpstop extension with the #126 track bar. in other words, it hits on the street with normal pot holes, speed bumps and regular road features.

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #48
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the stock cover is the lowest profile available.

the riddler cover requires ~3.5" bumpstop extension with the #126 track bar. in other words, it hits on the street with normal pot holes, speed bumps and regular road features.

Hmm. Does the curried TB give more clearance? I assume yes but still not ideal.

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #49
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hmm. Does the curried TB give more clearance? I assume yes but still not ideal.
somewhat...the Currie "TJS" TB still needs 2" bumpstops to clear the stock diff cover.

the best combo for a 2.5" lift with 13" collapsed length shocks is one of the following:

1. Crane or Barnett diff cover + stock track bar (drill a new hole & weld reinforcement to bracket)
2. Barnett diff cover, Currie TJS track bar + 2" bumpstop extensions

#2 limits uptravel some, but would allow the use of 15" collapsed length shocks, like OME N66L...which gets a bit more droop out of the front end.
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #50
pdangerp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Or you could try just a diff cover shield for the bottom portion of the d30.
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #51
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well I still haven't figure out what size suspension lif to go with, BUT I have made some progress.

Went to UCF and got the Ultra High Clearance TT with the Lo-Pro rubber transmission mount along with a JKS 1" BL/MML. The BL/MML went in just fine and was pretty simple, just make sure you have vice grips for the MML.

The UCF engine and T-case skid look sweet. Along with the Lo-Pro mount I'm excited to get it installed, but one down side to this setup is the UCF skids require a few modifications to the stock parts and to the UCF t-case skid to get the engine skid mounted. But I'm Stoked!!

Future ideas are still 2.5" OME or 4" Currie and will be going with 35" tires. Also, when $$$ going with Savvy Tank skid.

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]

Last edited by UncleWilson; 08-20-2010 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: Addition
Unread 08-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #52
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
somewhat...the Currie "TJS" TB still needs 2" bumpstops to clear the stock diff cover.

the best combo for a 2.5" lift with 13" collapsed length shocks is one of the following:

1. Crane or Barnett diff cover + stock track bar (drill a new hole & weld reinforcement to bracket)
2. Barnett diff cover, Currie TJS track bar + 2" bumpstop extensions

#2 limits uptravel some, but would allow the use of 15" collapsed length shocks, like OME N66L...which gets a bit more droop out of the front end.
Lets say i go with #2 (mostly) - Stock Cover, Currie CE-9120 TB, 2" Bumpstop extension in front, OME 2.5" HD but with N66L shocks.

Will I be forced to change Rear TB or Steering right away? I plan on doing them but not willing to shell out $$$ all at one time

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]
Unread 08-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #53
ekim

Quote:
Shocks of this length will require extended brake lines too.
ekim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #54
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lets say i go with #2 (mostly) - Stock Cover, Currie CE-9120 TB, 2" Bumpstop extension in front, OME 2.5" HD but with N66L shocks.

Will I be forced to change Rear TB or Steering right away? I plan on doing them but not willing to shell out $$$ all at one time
OME 2.5 HD springs might very likely unseat under full droop with N66L shocks!

Rear TB change not neccessary at all with TB relocation bracket. The bracket is actually recommended for rear full droop situations as well, because stock mount prone to bind under full droop in the rear ... might get bent/ripped off the axle!

Steering upgrade recommended for HEAVY tires >=33" ... 31-32" I donno ... should be OK.
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #55
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the Currie "TJS" track bar is the one you want. their other version is nothing more than JKS under a different name. the track bar and N66L requires 2" bumpstop extensions in front...just make sure you got that. you're loosing some uptravel vs stock TB + N66, but you'll gain a lot of downtravel.

Quote:
rear TB is up to you...do you want the axle centered perfectly? I did. the OME bracket places more stress on the stock mount...but the JKS TB by itself places stress on the mount too. you ultimately need to weld some reinforcement on, or better yet - replace the entire bracket.

stock tie-rod will get you around...but its pretty thin/weak/flemsy. the ZJ V8 tie-rod is an easy, cheap upgrade if you don't want to drop the coin for a Currie steering system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim View Post
Shocks of this length will require extended brake lines too.
Yup they will. YJ front lines work good, and cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
OME 2.5 HD springs might very likely unseat under full droop with N66L shocks!
they do, but just barely. still very usable.

Quote:
Rear TB change not neccessary at all with TB relocation bracket. The bracket is actually recommended for rear full droop situations as well, because stock mount prone to bind under full droop in the rear ... might get bent/ripped off the axle!
the bracket creates a larger lever arm...which eventually rips the stock bracket off the alxe too. pick your poison - either way you need to fabricate reinforcement for the bracket.

Quote:
Steering upgrade recommended for HEAVY tires >=33" ... 31-32" I donno ... should be OK.
the stock tie-rod sucks. upgrading to a ZJ V8 tie-rod is stupid easy, cheap and simple. no reason not to
Unread 08-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #56
madmilitia
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I live in MI, but travel to MN where they require full tire width coverage. So I think as long as I could flare it wide enough I'm good. I'm really only there for 2 weeks out of the year but don't need the attention from the fuzz.
good news MN doesn't require full tire width coverage, i was born and raised in MN.

drove my jeep with stock flares and 31x10.5 's had 4 inchs of tire out and never once got in any trouble.

i was worried about the same thing so i asked a cop and he said 50% needs to be covered, and then said but rarely will anyone get pulled over for that unless they are spraing mud all over on purpose.
RJC #600
colorado jeep club #269

[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wranglicon-my-build-thread-1091056/] [COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="4"]Project Wranglicon my build [/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]

[CENTER][COLOR="DarkRed"]Don't grammer cop me, if you can't understand what i'm trying to say it's you not me that needs to change.[/COLOR][/CENTER]
madmilitia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #57
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmilitia View Post
good news MN doesn't require full tire width coverage, i was born and raised in MN.

drove my jeep with stock flares and 31x10.5 's had 4 inchs of tire out and never once got in any trouble.

i was worried about the same thing so i asked a cop and he said 50% needs to be covered, and then said but rarely will anyone get pulled over for that unless they are spraing mud all over on purpose.
Sorry I've been MIA. Thank is awesome to know. I really don't need something stupid like that to taint the build.

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]

Tags
build , lcog , ome , rokmen , TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.