Sanity check:Low Center of Gravity Build Plan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Sanity check:Low Center of Gravity Build Plan

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sanity check:Low Center of Gravity Build Plan

I would like to run this plan by to see what holes are there and what I maybe missing. My end goal is to have: a small lift, adjustable control arms with Johnny Joints, and an underbody tummy tuck on 33's (much larger soon after).

So far this is what I have planned:

Rokmen
-High Clearance Belly Pan
-Engine/Transmission Skid Plate,
-High Clearance Gas Tank
-Front Upper Adjustable Control Arms (JJ on one end)
-Rear Upper Adjustable Control Arms (JJ's on both ends)
-Front and Rear Adjustable Control Arms (JJ's on both ends)

OME
-2.5" HD Suspension Kit (Coils, Shocks, Rear Trackbar Bracket, Bumpstops)

JKS
-Front Adjustable Trackbar (JJ on frame end)
-Rear Adjustable Trackbar (JJ on frame end)
-Quicker Disconnects
-1.25" BL
-1" Budget MML

-CV driveshaft (not sure where to go)

So, how am I doing? What am I missing?

When I first started out I was looking MUCH cheaper to set it up, but then I read "Do it right, the first time" and it has become a little $$$$. I hate to ask the question, without loosing function and quality, can it be done cheaper through different parts (i.e. Currie…)?

Also, any other thought or critics are more than welcome. Thank you

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Currie Control Arms Install Tips
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]

Last edited by UncleWilson; 07-20-2010 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: clarification
UncleWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
cmgorman94
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well unfortunately 3.75" of lift for 33s doesn't really fit the bill for LCOG build. I think your plan sounds solid though. Nice parts, and well thought out. I think that you'll enjoy it.

One thing worth looking into would be the JKS front track bar compatibility with the 2.5" lift. I believe I've read on here that there may be an issue with it hitting the front diff. I would also look at some steering upgrades. The Currie system is quite popular on this forum. Hope that helps.
cmgorman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgorman94 View Post
One thing worth looking into would be the JKS front track bar compatibility with the 2.5" lift. I believe I've read on here that there may be an issue with it hitting the front diff. I would also look at some steering upgrades. The Currie system is quite popular on this forum. Hope that helps.
The trackbar was one of the things that I was curious about. I had heard a few of those same comments as well, but was looking for that extra voice.

This is the start of my low COG build. In the future I'm planning on larger tires (35-37's) and all the other goodies that goes along with them (gears, axle shafts, brakes, etc.). I guess I am just making sure I have a good base to start from.

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

My 2.5" RC lift worked fine with the stock track bar, less than 1/4" shift.
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
RUkered
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have the OME lift with a 3/4" spacer up front and my Currie trackbar doesn't hit.
RUkered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
ROLLTIDEtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a nice set up. As others said, not really a lcg build but quality parts. Just remember that the front upper CA mount cant accept a JJ so you are going to have to do the currie jj axle bracket if you want a jj on the axle end.

As said earlier, steering is really the only thing that you might want to address to have a pretty solid foundation to wheel on. What rear axle do you have? If it's the d35, wheel it till it breaks and throw a built 8.8 of d44 on and you'll be nicely set up for 35's.

Nice build plans!!

Edit: I'd stay away from the rc 2.5 springs if I were you. Not trying to bash the company, but I'm not exactly satisfied with my 2.5 kit. Springs are sagging, 1" spacers up front to get it to sit level, and rear shocks are too long (yes I have the newer shorter ones). Some people seem very happy with theirs but those are my experiences. Back to the the original topic!
2004 Rubicon - 4.0 - 5 speed manual - Rough Country 4" Stage II lift, RC front adjustable track bar, 2.2 shocks, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR with Kevlar on Crager soft 8's, 4 Hella Black Magics, Edge Trail Jammer with Intake, JL TR 2-ways in the pods, Kenwood Excelon deck in the dash, Rough Country Stinger & Winch Plate, Trail Gear rear bumper w/ tire carrier, HiLift, Rock Krawler X Factor Plus Steering
ROLLTIDEtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLTIDEtj View Post
Sounds like a nice set up. As others said, not really a lcg build but quality parts. Just remember that the front upper CA mount cant accept a JJ so you are going to have to do the currie jj axle bracket if you want a jj on the axle end.

As said earlier, steering is really the only thing that you might want to address to have a pretty solid foundation to wheel on. What rear axle do you have? If it's the d35, wheel it till it breaks and throw a built 8.8 of d44 on and you'll be nicely set up for 35's.

Nice build plans!!

Edit: I'd stay away from the rc 2.5 springs if I were you. Not trying to bash the company, but I'm not exactly satisfied with my 2.5 kit. Springs are sagging, 1" spacers up front to get it to sit level, and rear shocks are too long (yes I have the newer shorter ones). Some people seem very happy with theirs but those are my experiences. Back to the the original topic!
I did not know about the upper CA mount. Thank you very much for the info. It's those type of things I need to make sure and plan for ahead of time.

I've got an 06' rubi TJ so I think I'm good till the large tires push for gears and axle shafts.

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]
Unread 07-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
and rear shocks are too long (yes I have the newer shorter ones). Some people seem very happy with theirs but those are my experiences. Back to the the original topic!
I cut the "bump stop" off the shocks and use bumpstops on the axle like it should be and mine work much better now.
Unread 07-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
ROLLTIDEtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I cut the rubber bumpers off the shocks too because they serve no purpose but I sill don't have the uptravel I'd like
2004 Rubicon - 4.0 - 5 speed manual - Rough Country 4" Stage II lift, RC front adjustable track bar, 2.2 shocks, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR with Kevlar on Crager soft 8's, 4 Hella Black Magics, Edge Trail Jammer with Intake, JL TR 2-ways in the pods, Kenwood Excelon deck in the dash, Rough Country Stinger & Winch Plate, Trail Gear rear bumper w/ tire carrier, HiLift, Rock Krawler X Factor Plus Steering
Unread 07-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Gotcha, if you swap to a different shock let me know what you go with and how you like it.
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

well you're missing that the JKS front track bar is going to be smashing into your diff cover at about 3" uptravel, so its pretty much worthless. stick with the stock one....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...it-fit-738948/

otherwise your build looks a lot like this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...-build-778715/
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tube fenders are a good idea. Metalcloak makes insanely awesome fenders that give you the most clearance you can get without trimming. They are pricey, but they are fully bolt on, come with inner wells and mounting hardware for the battery and intake. Plus you can sell you old fenders for some dough.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:57 AM   #13
ROLLTIDEtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'll be going with either rancho rs9000xl's or bilstein 5100's. But first I have to finish school and get an adult job which may be easier said than done with the economy. Either way, I'm done with cheap parts from here on out. And I cannot wait to get this stupid body lift replaced that the PO installed.
Unread 07-21-2010, 03:24 AM   #14
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWilson View Post

Rokmen
-High Clearance Belly Pan
-Engine/Transmission Skid Plate,
-High Clearance Gas Tank
-Front Upper Adjustable Control Arms (JJ on one end)
-Rear Upper Adjustable Control Arms (JJ's on both ends)
-Front and Rear Adjustable Control Arms (JJ's on both ends)

OME
-2.5" HD Suspension Kit (Coils, Shocks, Rear Trackbar Bracket, Bumpstops)

JKS
-Front Adjustable Trackbar (JJ on frame end)
-Rear Adjustable Trackbar (JJ on frame end)
-Quicker Disconnects
-1.25" BL
-1" Budget MML

-CV driveshaft (not sure where to go)

So, how am I doing? What am I missing?
To preserve max possible articulation/uptravel in the front with least necessary bump stop I would NOT go with the JKS track bar in the front.
With N66 shocks in the front (compressed only 13.3) you only need bump stops to clear tires if any. (The JKS TB needs 2" (!) BS to clear the diff!)

For 2.5 suspension and N66 shocks and 1.25 BL and 33" tires you are fine with 1" Bump Stop to clear the fenders! I did not even have to relocate the stock TB with this suspension height and I did not have to think about BS and clearance for diff cover with the stock TB!

The front JKS sway bar disconnects are not bad but there are better and skinnier (more tire clearance) alternatives ... I would consider the TeraFlex Quick Discos which are not adjustable but extended and fine for this height!

In the rear though I would think about the adjustable JKS sway bar links, especially if you go with a SYE/CV and rotate your pinion angle slightly upwards ... the stock ones are short and would eventually bind at full axle droop. (I have not put them on yet as well )

((
To be on the safe side not to dent your rear shocks at the spring perches with the CV/SYE setup I would think about rear shock mount mod/relocation (TeraFlex/Currie) ... you have to bump stop the rear anyway with 1.25" min to avoid the TB bracket not hitting the tub/body ... (for CV/SYE go with an angled TB relocation bracket! helps keeping the TB far from gas tank!)

I had to use a SYE/CV (AA/TW) because of vibes despite OME TC drop (D44 rear) at the beginning!
)) EDIT : OOOPS YOU HAVE A RUBICON ... EVENTUALLY forget the SYE/CV related fixes.

I did NOT have to go with after market TBs whatsoever.

otherwise cool ... the OME springs and shocks ...
for the other components I would check alternatives: there are better and cheaper ones for the same purpose ...
BL 1.25": check Savvy ! (alloy)
MML 1": checke M.O.R.E (or get the savvy under armor TT with the right MML)
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:10 AM   #15
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Okay, I'll switch my TB plan to the Currie TB

Quote:
I'll be going with either rancho rs9000xl's or bilstein 5100's. But first I have to finish school and get an adult job which may be easier said than done with the economy. Either way, I'm done with cheap parts from here on out. And I cannot wait to get this stupid body lift replaced that the PO installed.
Earlier you mentioned front upper CA not compatible with JJ's. Could you elaborate a little more. I take your word for it, but just like knowing how things do/don't work.

I know plenty of people in your situation. Good Luck with school and the career search.

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]

Tags
build , lcog , ome , rokmen , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.