Sanity check before I spend all my money - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Sanity check before I spend all my money

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
gmanlax06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sanity check before I spend all my money

I'm looking to lift my LJ with a BB and BL to fit 33's. This is the plan:

-Rubicon Express 2" economy with monotubes
-Daystar 1" body
-Mickey Thomson 15x8 Classic II's
-BF Goodrich KM2 33x10.5

The obvious question is whats the best BB for the money, and what BB is best for the extra weight of a LJ?

I like the idea of the 1" bl combined with the bb instead of going straight suspension lift.

And I'm fairly set on the look and reviews of both the Classic II's and the KM2, although I am shopping around for the best prices.

Lastly, with the LJ do you think I'll need to regear? My thought was that the 33x10.5 would be lighter than the 12.5 and therefore keep me from having to regear.

Thanks

gmanlax06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
PurpleTJ
Consistently Inconsistent

1998 TJ Wrangler 

A BB is a BB is a BB. They're all plastic spacers. Shocks are what matter.

What axles do you have and with what gears? If you have a rubi, you won't have to regear, otherwise, you'll probably want to eventually.

How do you / do you plan to wheel your Jeep?

Great choice on the KM2's
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

My Purple People Eater Build
PurpleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

In my opinion, an 8" wheel on a 10.5" tire is too wide. Typically, a 12.5" tire is mounted on an 8" wide wheel. Were it me....I would opt for the 12.5" wide tire if I were springing for new wheels.

What is your current gear ratio? Re-gearing depends a lot on what you currently have....with some setups being better or worse than others. That being said, 4.56 gears are a good setup for 33" wheels. It is what I would recommend to anyone looking to mount 33" tires.

A poly spring spacer is a poly spring spacer. I don't see some extra weight factoring in the equation. I've never ran across any "squished" poly spring spacers.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Olson View Post
What is your current gear ratio? Re-gearing depends a lot on what you currently have....with some setups being better or worse than others. That being said, 4.56 gears are a good setup for 33" wheels. It is what I would recommend to anyone looking to mount 33" tires.
We would benefit from knowing what transmission he has.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

IMO, Jeep doesn't offer a stock transmission that is setup to drive 33" tires with the stock axle ratios available. They are all compromises. Now, if a person doesn't mind a compromise, that is fine.
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Olson View Post
IMO, Jeep doesn't offer a stock transmission that is setup to drive 33" tires with the stock axle ratios available. They are all compromises. Now, if a person doesn't mind a compromise, that is fine.
I disagree, Stu. I've found that the NSG370 equiped Rubi (4.10) turns 33's very well. If it has the 42RLE, I wouldn't hesitate to run a 4.88 gear with a 33" tire. No one knows what the OP has.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
MulletHunter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just don't put chrome/ silver aluminum wheels on a jeep! Black belongs on a jeep. Silver is for sissys!
MulletHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayRoll View Post
I disagree, Stu. I've found that the NSG370 equiped Rubi (4.10) turns 33's very well. If it has the 42RLE, I wouldn't hesitate to run a 4.88 gear with a 33" tire. No one knows what the OP has.
It's fine that you disagree. It doesn't change my mind and I still stand by my statement.....and I consider using 4.10 gears on 33" tires to be a compromise....it's just not as much of a compromise as running 33" tires on 3.73 gears. Everyone has different tolerance levels as to what they can put up with. I run 4.56 gears and 35" tires....and that is a compromise as well....and I put up with it.

Edit: And now that I read it....#7 is a compromise too. But that is a different issue for a different day.
Unread 08-15-2012, 05:28 AM   #9
gmanlax06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Its not the Rubi, so I'm working with the 3.73 and a manual trans. Thanks for the help fellas... I think I'm gonna start ordering parts, and plan on a regear to 4.56.

As far as wheeling... Im in the military and will be moving 3 times in the next year, TX to FL to Cali (I hope). I want her to be able to be a jack of all trades... on a very basic level.
Unread 08-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #10
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fi...ofiles-402432/

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

And thanks for your service.
Unread 08-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
gmanlax06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry bout the profile... just finished it.

Tags
33's , bb , lj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.