A salute to our American military and veterans on Memorial Day - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A salute to our American military and veterans on Memorial Day

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A salute to our American military and veterans on Memorial Day

To everyone who is serving and has served, I salute you. Memorial Day is our day of remembrance and reflection and I hope everyone takes a moment today to thank the veterans they may know or see out today.

It is the
VETERAN,
not the preacher,
who has given us freedom of religion.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the campus organizer,
who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the politician,
Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the
VETERAN who
salutes the Flag,

It is
the
VETERAN
who serves
under the Flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
who allows the protester to burn the flag.

ETERNAL
REST GRANT THEM O LORD, AND LET PERPETUAL LIGHT SHINE UPON
THEM.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hear, hear!!!

caskets.jpg

robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your service Jerry, and everyone else that has served!!!
Unread 05-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
Huey
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Agreed. Thanks everyone for the service and a true salute to the fallen. Fair winds and following seas to my fellow sailors. "So other may live."

Dustin W.
Unread 05-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure if you were purposefully paraphrasing the quote but ya skipped the most powerful part of it...

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us the freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protestor to burn the flag."

~ Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Always was my favorite quote I had to memorize.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

For those of us who have lost our friends in combat, every day is Memorial Day. Enjoy the time you have with the loved ones you have and never forget those who died to maintain the freedom we have today.
Unread 05-26-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Not sure if you were purposefully paraphrasing the quote but ya skipped the most powerful part of it...

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us the freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protestor to burn the flag."

~ Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Always was my favorite quote I had to memorize.
Thanks, that was an editing error on my part. It has been revised to include those missing parts.

Unread 05-26-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
77351wcj5
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks to all who have served. Freedom isn't free.
77351wcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
MarioM0one
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My greatest regret in life has been that I did not enlist in the military when I should have, before family, career, etc.,
God bless all of you who served with honor. My deepest respect.
M. Aldape
MarioM0one is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #10
jski701
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks to all who have served
jski701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Went to the Fort Bliss National Cemetery Memorial day event today... Now, Ft. Bliss' cemetery is small compared to Arlington... but it still is the final home for thousands of soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines and CGs, as well as their loved ones...

To see the crowd gathered for the ceremony was awe inspiring...but to see a flag placed in front of every headstone was humbling. I go every year to place flags at random... usually on a headstone that catches my eye as I walk through... I ended up handing flags out to anyone that asked and only getting to place about 5. During my walk around the grounds, I took notice of the people that gathered near graves and what their actions were... everyone pays tribute in their own ways. I noticed many in tears. Some were having a little private talk. Others were gathered hand in hand and just standing in silence.

I noticed one very old Vet taking a drag from a bottle of whiskey and pouring some on top of the headstone. As I walked by, he asked if I wanted some, and I'll tell you... never turn down an offer like that... I don't care if I go to work with a little Beam on the breath...I don't dare insult a man who has been to two wars. I stopped to chat with him and the grave belonged to one of his old privates (as he called him), even though the fallen was buried as a SFC... He said that the private was one of his Basic trainees, and they went to Korea together... after a few minutes he started to ramble on, and a younger woman came to walk him back to the car. Then he did it... Before I could even thank him for his service... he came up to me, and thanked me with a hug. He told me to keep the fight alive and finish off the whiskey...

I served for four years and change...I wanted to stay in but at the time...the cards were not in my favor... this man did over 20 years and saw combat many times...and he thanked me. Words can't really express the feelings that came over me... I turned around to walk away, bottle of whiskey and a flag in hand... and looked at all the headstones that were between me and my Jeep... and wondered if any of them ever were thanked like that.

Sorry for the wall of text... just had to get that out...

Thank you to all that have served...

All gave some...Some gave all.
Unread 05-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #12
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for sharing that really touching event. That veteran was touched by your kindness as was I.

Unread 05-26-2014, 10:30 PM   #13
geroux
2004 TJ Wrangler 

By all means I do not want to take away from the intent of this thread.
But honoring those of us that have served (22 years in my case) on Memorial Day is not what the day is set aside to observe. I will gladly forgo anyone thanking me for my service on this day for them to honor a fallen service member that gave their life. I tear up hearing Taps. Just saying, even as a veteran, the focus should be solely on the fallen.
I have Veterans Day and I'm OK with that.
geroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroux View Post
But honoring those of us that have served (22 years in my case) on Memorial Day is not what the day is set aside to observe. I will gladly forgo anyone thanking me for my service on this day for them to honor a fallen service member that gave their life. I tear up hearing Taps. Just saying, even as a veteran, the focus should be solely on the fallen.
I wholeheartedly agree with this.

We shouldn't forget those who were lost after the war either. Mental health care isn't exactly a primary objective of the government and we lose about 22 soldiers per day to suicide. Just because you can't see the scars doesn't mean the wounds aren't deep and fatal. Let's not forget the ones who made it home as well. I knew a few personally and I had a job in the army caring for those who needed some help dealing with losing their battle buddies.
Unread 05-27-2014, 06:38 AM   #15
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroux View Post
Agreed.

People often confuse and/or mix Memorial Day with Veteran's Day. Veteran's Day is for celebrating those who have and are currently serving.

Memorial Day is a solemn day of remembrance for those who made the ultimate sacrifice and is 'observed'.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.