Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

safe or deadly?

831 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  evans_tj 
#1 ·
i currently have a performance intake on my
jeep wrangler because long story short my heater was blown and i dont have factory a/c so in order to fif the a/c the factory intake all jeeps have had to be removed, when i bought it i drove it without an intake for about a week or 2 untill the mechanic told me i ABSOLUTELY needed it, friend of mine recently told me the intake sucked and that it would suck in mud water etc.. do i need a snorkel or would i be fine to 4 wheel and daily drive with the performancd intake?

#2 ·
When you say performance intake I'm assuming you mean an underhood cone "CAI". Your post is a little confusing, but it almost sounds like you ran with no filter at all for a few weeks. That is probably the one setup your "performance intake" is better than and not something I think anyone would recommend that you do. As to the value of the "performance intake" there isn't really any (your engine was breathing just fine with the OEM setup) and it is actually a downgrade from OEM since the filter doesn't filter as well in dusty offroad environments. Your post is also a little confusing as you bring up sucking in mud or water. If you are wheeling in water deep enough that mud or water are able to be sucked into your intake it really doesn't matter what filter you have on. But if you are talking about just normal water that gets kicked up under the hood from running down the road I wouldn't worry too much about that. In your situation if going back to the OEM box is not an option, I would do a cowl intake using a Windstar airbox and filter. If you use the search function there are good threads that walk through it. And if for some reason you don't want to do that, I'd at least add a sock pre-filter to the cone filter.

#3 ·
this, my people, is what happens when you legalize marijuana :laugh:

sounds like you are talking about the air intake box, where the air filter is housed......most people assume if you just say intake, you mean intake manifold......well most wrench turners that i know.....

post a pic of what you are referring to or a link to what you currently have and you will get more than enough opinions on it.......

and tell your friend he is correct......intakes suck :rolleyes:

#8 ·
this, my people, is what happens when you legalize marijuana :laugh:
Was it ever illegal? :drool: That would take all the fun out of it. (not that I ever have or know what you're talking about, DUDE!)

Reactions: xxdabroxx
#4 ·
the stock air box is a real good option for most.
will an aftermarket cai kill your engine, no.
it will let in more dust and dirt, that is not good.
anything is better than no filter at all!
on my first jeep i had a k&n cai, i wrapped the k&n filter with ladies stockings, as a pre filter.
if for some reason u cant run a stock box, run what u can.

the windstar box mentioned is a good option to look into.

#7 ·
I ran a AEM dry filter like that years ago. It's fine if you never see water. My brother had that set-up for 8 years. I went back to the stock air box though.

#10 ·
Now that you presumably have the a/c fixed, I would reinstall the OE air intake box.

That filter you showed in your post #5 in no way is a "performance" device, it will not and it cannot improve performance over the TJ's factory air intake system. Such filters can help performance in vehicles with restrictive air intakes, and there are some air intakes which were purposely designed to be restrictive, but they won't help when the air intake is non-restrictive as the TJ's is. The TJ's air intake system was specifically designed to be completely non-restrictive, it can easily flow far more air than the engine can ask for at redline rpms and full-throttle. The paper air filter inside has such a huge surface area that it and the rest of the air intake is totally non-restrictive. Really. :)

#11 ·
Now that you presumably have the a/c fixed, I would reinstall the OE air intake box. :)
i was looking at his pics and is the ac an aftermarket add-on? looks like the ac hoses may be in the way of the the stock airbox??? may just be the angle of the pics.......i wouldn't think they would make an aftermarket ac that would also make you remove the airbox......but i agree, i would get it back to stock if possible.....just my $0.02

also OP.....you can tell your friend yes your intake sucks but his exhaust blows......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.