"Safari Cab" custom hardtop project - Page 359 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > "Safari Cab" custom hardtop project

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #5371
unlimited06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
if people are interested in this project, I may start a new thread on it, since it's off-topic for the Safari Cab thread.
I'd be watching that one. I will be selling my pickup after I finish building my LJ . I'll be needing a trailer when that's gone. Probably a 4x8 so I can transport sheetrock/plywood.

Quote:
As you know, I've been trying to decide which project I want to take on next, one of these four:

1. Safari Cab low profile modular roof.
Big Fan.

Quote:
There is also one somewhat custom Safari Cab project possibly getting started (not by me) that could cause me to need to build the one-piece barn door mold sooner rather than later but I won't know until that situation develops a little more
Would the one piece barn door completely replace the OEM steel door ?

unlimited06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #5372
tcmault

I am all for the One Piece Barn Door.
Unread 09-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #5373
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited06 View Post
Would the one piece barn door completely replace the OEM steel door ?
Yes, to install the one-piece barn door you'd remove the factory tailgate. The one-piece barn door would bolt up to either the factory hinges or of course you could use the heavy duty hinges I've designed (and are about to become a commercial product).

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #5374
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The company will soon be notifying people of the availability of the first production run of the tailgate reinforcement/heavy duty hinges, and we've realized that due to the limitations of forum private messages, the notification will best be done via email.

I've got a list of all those people who PM'd me wanting to be notified when the company is ready to offer the product for sale, but in many cases I don't have an email address to go along with the person's forum id. So last night I sent PM's to everyone whose email address I didn't have asking for the address - and I'm making this post in case I missed someone.

If you're on the list, and haven't sent me your email address yet, please pm me with the address.

Thanks and sorry for the change in plans.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 09-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #5375
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Jeff I didnt PM you about the "list" before hand. I posted it in this thread somewhere...I did send you a PM tonight though.

I'm really watching for the trailer tub to start up. My old man gave me a 4'x6' utility trailer that he bought at TSC. I really want to do a SOA on it and run 33's so it will set level to the bumper on my Tj and will realy have the clearance I want. I'd like to be able to run a lockable top to it too.

As you can see I'm really excited about the trailer idea!!
Unread 09-13-2011, 01:50 AM   #5376
ndnbrav
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I love the trailer tub! I bought a harbor freight 4'x8' "heavy duty" model last year and never really decided on what to do for the sides. I temporarily stuck in some old 2x4 posts and and cut some sheets of plywood for the sides just to use it to haul some furniture and some jeep parts. So how far have you gotten to making a product to sell?
ndnbrav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 05:46 AM   #5377
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnbrav View Post
I love the trailer tub! I bought a harbor freight 4'x8' "heavy duty" model last year and never really decided on what to do for the sides. I temporarily stuck in some old 2x4 posts and and cut some sheets of plywood for the sides just to use it to haul some furniture and some jeep parts. So how far have you gotten to making a product to sell?
I'm in the process of making the mold master patterns. The tailgate master patterns are ready to have the molds made, and now I'm working on the tub tailgate end panel master pattern. Once all the master patterns (still have to do the tub solid end panel and the side panel), I'll make the molds, and once the molds are done, I'll make a proof-of-concept tub. I don't know if the tub kit will ever become a commercial product, that will depend on if there's a company that interested in marketing the kits after I finish the mold work.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 09-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #5378
unlimited06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The company will soon be notifying people of the availability of the first production run of the tailgate reinforcement/heavy duty hinges.
WOO HOO !

Jeff, it's got to be a good feeling to go from a concept in your head to bringing that idea to life and then to see it available to the masses right ? I fabricate one-off stuff when I need to but I never attempted to market anything. Gongrats

Yet another thing I have learned from this thread. I never could have realized just how wuch work and time it could take to start with a tested prototype product and actually get it to market fully packaged and ready to sell. No where else that I know of coule I experience somewhat "behind the scenes" view on the process. Like someone earlier in the thread posted, What we normally see is the finished product ready to buy. Here, we get insight on the actual process. Kind of frustrating to wait if you really want the product but worth the wait with the knowlege that the company thoroughly tested the it and didn't rush it out unfinished.
unlimited06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #5379
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
WOO HOO !

Jeff, it's got to be a good feeling to go from a concept in your head to bringing that idea to life and then to see it available to the masses right ? I fabricate one-off stuff when I need to but I never attempted to market anything. Gongrats
Mostly I'm just glad my role in it is over .

Quote:
Yet another thing I have learned from this thread. I never could have realized just how much work and time it could take to start with a tested prototype product and actually get it to market fully packaged and ready to sell. No where else that I know of could I experience somewhat "behind the scenes" view on the process. Like someone earlier in the thread posted, What we normally see is the finished product ready to buy. Here, we get insight on the actual process. Kind of frustrating to wait if you really want the product but worth the wait with the knowlege that the company thoroughly tested the it and didn't rush it out unfinished.
The tailgate reinforcement was a relatively easy product, and I didn't post most of the behind-the-scenes work I did with the manufacturing guys in the thread. It was more work and time than you might imagine.

Which makes me want to say something about the Safari Cab hardtop itself... you guys saw every step of me building my first Safari Cab, but you're not seeing the work that's going into the company's production version. It's one thing to build a one-off custom like I did, but it's an entirely different project to build something like that in production. One-off customs are quick and easy compared to a production product. Molds and processes need to be perfected so that each part as it comes out of the mold is ready to go with no fitting, adjustments or tweaking required. The parts have to fit right, they've got to seal well, and the entire manufacturing process has to be repeatable so that quality is consistent and high.

Bob, you've seen the company's LJ full Safari Cab, and I think you'll agree it's really nice, but you can't imagine the work it takes to get from one-off parts to repeatable high quality production. The one you saw was still a preproduction prototype requiring a lot more process refinement before it's ready to be mass-produced. The work at the company continues...

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 09-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #5380
gr8tops
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2006 LJ Wrangler 

First, we want to thank Jeff for his continued support of the efforts to bring the Safari Cab and Exogate to market. It's not lost on us at all about how instrumental he and this thread have been in getting to where we are.

Second, we are still working on the Safari Cab and making progress. Trust us when we say that we are more anxious and excited than anyone out there to bring this to market, but the innovative modular construction that makes this such a cool top is presenting challenges we are still working through in production. We are totally confident we will overcome them, but we are doing this right, not fast.

They say all good things come to those who wait, we're working to make that wait as minimal as possible, but won't cut corners to do it. We apologize for any frustration the timing has caused but know it will be worth it in the end. We thank everyone for their patience, including Jeff!
gr8tops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #5381
parrotparty
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Right on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tops View Post
First, we want to thank Jeff for his continued support of the efforts to bring the Safari Cab and Exogate to market. It's not lost on us at all about how instrumental he and this thread have been in getting to where we are.

Second, we are still working on the Safari Cab and making progress. Trust us when we say that we are more anxious and excited than anyone out there to bring this to market, but the innovative modular construction that makes this such a cool top is presenting challenges we are still working through in production. We are totally confident we will overcome them, but we are doing this right, not fast.

They say all good things come to those who wait, we're working to make that wait as minimal as possible, but won't cut corners to do it. We apologize for any frustration the timing has caused but know it will be worth it in the end. We thank everyone for their patience, including Jeff!

Thats pretty awsome of you guys to take on such tasks as take a custom project and make into a production run. And with the Exogate product you have a lot of TJ owners support and probably will continue to grow.. personally I'm waiting for both

Keep up the good work and progess

[QUOTE=freedommachine;12840223]If it makes you paranoid and requires forum discussions it belongs on a Jeep.[/QUOTE]

"Well boss, a diesel needs its oil like a sailor needs his rum."- Capt. Ron
parrotparty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #5382
gr8tops
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the words of support and encouragement. We do get on here (when time permits) and its always good to hear encouragement when your trudging through the details.

Press onward..!!!
gr8tops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #5383
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tops View Post
First, we want to thank Jeff for his continued support of the efforts to bring the Safari Cab and Exogate to market...
Now there's a piece of good news, we can now refer to the product as the "Exogate" instead of always typing "tailgate reinforcement/large spare carrier/heavy duty hinges."

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #5384
tiger-bailey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well it turns out the wind noise was in the factory plastic door jamb piece that screws vertically along the back edge of the windshield, where the upper front part of the door frame seals. It turns out the factory design doesn't seal very well at the top of that piece, and that's where my wind noise was coming from, so I fixed that and the problem was solved.
I have the same wind noise. What did you do to the vertical piece to fix it?

Thank you.

Australian Cattle Dogs
tiger-bailey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #5385
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger-bailey View Post
I have the same wind noise. What did you do to the vertical piece to fix it?

Thank you.
That plastic door jamb piece is hollow, so I used some thick, soft weatherstrip (I think 3/4" x 1/2"), and put a few layers in the hollow until it "overfilled" the hollow, think of how a loaf of break overfills the pan it's baked in; then when the piece is put back on, the weatherstrip compresses and fills any gap that might be causing a wind noise. Absolutely no wind leak noise issues in my Safari Cab now, very silent.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup

Tags
hardtop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.