"Safari Cab" custom hardtop project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > "Safari Cab" custom hardtop project

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

"Safari Cab" custom hardtop project.

I've never liked the "inverted bathtub" design of many Jeep hardtops, particularly the 04-06 Wrangler Unlimited hardtops, so for a while now I've had this idea that I'd like to design and build a hardtop from scratch. I've built two hardtops aleady, a full-metal half-cab for my "Retro Wrangler" TJ-based pickup project, and a half-cab for my CJ-based "Gaucho" pickup project, modified from a first generation CJ hardtop. Here are some photos of my first two hardtops and the projects they were part of:

But if I'm going to build one from scratch, I don't just want to build another "me too" inverted bathtub design, I want to build something that really enhances the look of the Jeep. I have always liked the Jeep factory design for CJ-8 and CJ-7 hardtops called "World Cabs", sometimes referred to as "Alaskan Postal" tops, so that's been one of my design inspirations as I've been working on the design for my hardtop project.

I've worked out a design for building a hardtop from modular building blocks, which would enable a similar set of components to be assembled into tops ranging from half-cabs to full-length Scrambler tops. I've also been working on the engineering so these components could be used on CJ's, YJ's and TJ's, with minimal modifications during molding.

I call the design the Safari Cab; here's a concept drawing showing what some of the variants of the design might look like. The pickup cabs look very much like the half-cab on my Retro Wrangler. There are two variants of the roof design for the longer cabs, one is "normal" height, and then there's the "x-roof" with a raised rear section. These concept drawings don't show the different modules that get assembled into the finished tops, only the finished tops are shown.

Here's a comparison with the factory top on a Wrangler Unlimited:

I've been working on the engineering necessary to build these tops in a modular fashion, and the details of managing the differences between the TJ and the CJ/YJ so the parts could be used for both.

With my other builds I've always gotten great feedback here that's helped me finalize my design - at this point I'm trying to more or less finalize the overall look of the Safari Cab tops, so I'd like to hear any comments you've got on the tops in the concept drawing above.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I feel lost in the TJ forum... but I will definitely follow this one!

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It will be interesting to watch this one, as it is all of your build threads. Subscribed.

My Youtube Channel

1979 CJ-5 304 V-8, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Sold

Anyways, I wanna go wheelin'!
XJAbuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the invite, Jeff!

(and I'm not completely out of the water... I've been here a time or two before)

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiablejeep View Post
I feel lost in the TJ forum... but I will definitely follow this one!

cb
. My design enables the Safari Cab hardtops to fit CJ-7's, CJ-8's and YJ Wranglers, but if I go ahead and actually build these, the first one will probably be a full length one for my LJ Wrangler, so I thought I should start the thread here. The second one would probably be a CJ half-cab for the Gaucho...

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Douglas S.

I like it! Makes it look really Defenderish
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

OH yes! Crawled

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

any idea on when you can sell me one for my TJ? maybe something that can hold a fair amount of weight on top?
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
Coldfever
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It is definitely a big improvement over stock, I like it.
Coldfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
Fett
Mechanically Declined

1999 TJ Wrangler 

That...is....awesome! I really love the way the upper rear opens to the side with the lower door.

And the side pop out "wing" windows are a very nice touch.

So, it comes off in four pieces (top, two sides and rear door)?

I'd assume you'd include rear wipers too, right?

How about adding built in reverse (back-up) lights?

"When you honestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do". www.despair.com
|_
|T|
Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good. can't wait to see a completed version.
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Did you do those drawings from scratch or what? You must be loaded if you know how to do that stuff.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #13
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post
any idea on when you can sell me one for my TJ? maybe something that can hold a fair amount of weight on top?
I have no plans to offer these commercially myself, but I have had a number of discussions with a company that is in the Jeep aftermarket and is interested in offering these as part of their product line. We have talked about me licensing my design and mold masters to them after I get the masters done, so if I build these, they might actually be offered as commercial products.

One of the design features for the full tops includes a steel reinforcing frame inside the top to allow loads to be carried on a roof rack.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup

Last edited by jscherb; 04-09-2010 at 05:39 AM..
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
Did you do those drawings from scratch or what? You must be loaded if you know how to do that stuff.
Yes, I do these drawings myself, from scratch. I'll post more drawings as this thread progresses. I also built the two pickups shown in the first post in this thread, so I do have the skills necessary to build these hardtops from scratch as well. I don't think being loaded (either "drunk" or "rich", depending on what you mean by loaded ) would have much to do with it...

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #15
unlimited4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a '05 unlimited. I like what you have done compared to the factory hard top. I'd buy one. Any though about some small rectangular windows across the top, running parrallel to the sides, or maybe a sunroof over the passenger area? I think either option may cause a structural problem for the top, but I thought I would throw them out there. Also, what about making the side windows removable? the top could act like a soft top, but for some it would be nice maybe not having to go through the effort of storing the hard top and putting on a soft top. I actually do not take the top down all the way as much as I thought I would. The sun is a scorcher down here in FL. I typically drive with top up and windows off.

good luck and let us know when it goes into production!
unlimited4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardtop

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.