Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Safari Bikini?

979 views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  LoneJeeper 
#1 ·
Don't you basically create a Safari Bikini if you remove the side windows and rear window?

#4 ·
At slow speeds, mine wasn't bad with windows removed. But on the freeways, I did not like the fact that my top was flaping around in the wind. I went out and purchased a safari top do to the fact that it is cheaper to replace than the OEM soft top. Also, if you plan on wheeling with the windows off, there is less of a chance of trees doing damage to your top with the Safari.

I picked up my header on Ebay for $25 shipped. You can find the whole set up this time of year on Ebay if you have time to wait.

#5 ·
I removed my windows and tucked the flaps under the side/top rollbars and then wrapped/strung a couple of bungies to keep them in place. Then I attached a bungy to each rear corner of the soft top frame, then tightened and wrapped them around the 'v' bar before finally hooking the bungy end to one of the holes drilled into the tub where the hardtop bolts on.

It looked pretty much like a bikini, it held the back end of the soft top down snug- avoiding ballooning and the flaps never..well.. flapped.

I often got asked where I bought my custom softop :)

#6 ·
Awshux said:
Yes, and you don't get the incessant flapping and constant retightening that comes with a safari top either. If I still had my soft top, that's exacty what I'd do.
once I had somebody here point out I installed mine incorrectly (I mean come on, it's a Safari top, who needs to read the instructions? :D ) I haven't had to retighten it and it flaps a LOT less than my wife's soft top...

what I had done incorrectly was not run the rear straps under the bolt where the seat belt attaches...I don't even have a rear seat or seatbelts anymore, but I do have the bolt screwed in on each side, just for the Safari top...

Greg

#7 ·
BigWaylon said:
once I had somebody here point out I installed mine incorrectly (I mean come on, it's a Safari top, who needs to read the instructions? :D ) I haven't had to retighten it and it flaps a LOT less than my wife's soft top...

what I had done incorrectly was not run the rear straps under the bolt where the seat belt attaches...I don't even have a rear seat or seatbelts anymore, but I do have the bolt screwed in on each side, just for the Safari top...

Greg
There were directions? :confused: ;) Excellent tip, thanks! :thumbsup:

#10 ·
i once asked myself why i had a safari rather than just use my soft top without windows. The answer was clear and convincing the first time i wanted to go totally topless and i could just roll up my safari and toss it in the trunk, a lot easier than a soft top! i really don't like having my soft top on unless i think it is going to stay up. and it sure makes it harder to throw things or people in and out of the jeep. the other thing is that for a soft top to be strapped down fully you need to have you door surrounds in and who wants that all the time?

So far my favorite set up for all around driving in my Rubi UnLtd: Safari, Duster, No Doors

#11 ·
LoneJeeper said:
I would like to have a safari top with a window in the top, so that if it were rainy/cold/miserable, i could bend the top over my sound bar roll bar and hook it up like my windjammer. Bestop says its a good idea, but i've never seen one. lj
How about having a clear panel that rolled up real snug to the top and was secured by velcro and then could roll down and strap into place? It would be easier if you could leave the sound bars on the outside, but must be possible either way. I will look at mocking something up, it is a great idea.

Rivka

#12 ·
LoneJeeper said:
I would like to have a safari top with a window in the top, so that if it were rainy/cold/miserable, i could bend the top over my sound bar roll bar and hook it up like my windjammer. Bestop says its a good idea, but i've never seen one.

lj
This is a great idea! You better save this thread as proof that you thought of it first! :thumbsup:

#14 ·
LoneJeeper said:
it might not work for everyone, my soundbar is inside the cab, over my head, not behind the bar. I've tried it out, (with no window :eek: ) but it should work.

lj
it would work better the way I'm thinking about it on a rig like yours that what it could close down and you would have the speakers inside, were as if i put it on mine and strapped it to the b-pillar it would isolate me from my speakers. I will work in this idea, i like it

rivka

#15 ·
it's super easy to move the soundbar inside the cab (for my 99 anyway), simply unscrew from the roll cage, and move it forward. You can spin it around, so it's like a mirror of where it used to be, but then you have to rewire the soundbar to keep right/left speakers where they belong.... which is also a cakewalk.

lj

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.