Rythmic Vibration over 60 mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rythmic Vibration over 60 mph

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 11-18-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
steveinmedford
2014 KL Cherokee 

Rhythmic Vibration over 60 mph

Hey all

Lately I've ben experiencimg a rhythmic vibration when highway driving at speeds over 60mph. Feel vibe at 60, worsens at 65 and starts to get rhythmic there after. Dont really feel in steering wheel. More feel in gas pedal/floor/seat. Can almost hear it too. Not sure though.

By rhythmic I mean I feel a harsh vibration which briefly disapears then returns. At 70 the vibration cycle is harsh vibe for 3-4 seconds, smooth for 1-2 and repeats...etc..

Have new tires with <10K and have had them re-balanced. Shop said that they were out-of-balance but are alright now. I agree...don't feel out-of-balance shake in steering wheel as I did before re-balance. Also have new shocks.

Could the tires have started to wear funny since they were out-of-balance for awhile? No visible uneven wear. What else should I look for/check-out?

Have 2" bb, 1" bl and 1" mml. 100k miles. Need more info? Please ask away.

Thanks Steve

Unread 11-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
steveinmedford
2014 KL Cherokee 

btt on one?
Unread 11-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
00jeepsahara
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ive had a similar vibration for a while now, mine starts earlier though at about 35 mph, wasnt a bad u joint or tire, still trying to figure it out, ill let you know if i get it, or will check here to see if anybody has a solution.
17" Allied Beadlocks
D60/14BFF
00jeepsahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
DevEmp
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Fill out your profile... that way no one will have to ask about stuff like the year of the Jeep, lack of a SYE, etc etc.
DevEmp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2007, 05:16 AM   #5
Saubaer
2003 TJ Wrangler 

We had a similar vibration problem on one of our Vans a while back. Shop replaced the driveshaft and the vibe was gone.
Maybe there is something going on with the u-joints or centering ball.... Check the Control arm bearings too, maybe a worn bearing brings the driveshaft angles out of whack.

'03 Rubi

Just cuz you got the power, that don't mean you got the right!
Saubaer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2007, 07:24 AM   #6
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

To help you narrow it down and start the process of elimination, remove the driveshafts one at a time and drive it.

That will tell you real quick if its the front or rear driveshaft that is causing the problem.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
00jeepsahara
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
To help you narrow it down and start the process of elimination, remove the driveshafts one at a time and drive it.

That will tell you real quick if its the front or rear driveshaft that is causing the problem.
yeah thats a good idea.
17" Allied Beadlocks
D60/14BFF
00jeepsahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
Jerky bump
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinmedford

By rhythmic I mean I feel a harsh vibration which briefly disapears then returns. At 70 the vibration cycle is harsh vibe for 3-4 seconds, smooth for 1-2 and repeats...etc..
I have had a similar experience with mine- from new. The cycles are more like 1sec. on 1sec. off, though- around 70+ most noticeable too. I think it's actually body shudder because of its' poor aerodynamics.
Jerky bump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #9
05tjx

did it start out of the blue did you go wheeling then came home and it started up. i bent my skid plate a little so now mine vibrates at about 35 top 45 mph. i got a new skid plate just to lazy to put it on
05 tj x, 4in procomp stage 2, aem intake, tbs, jet chip, 3312.50 15 on 15x10 weld supersingles, quick discos, 4.56s, detroit truetrac in the front and super 35 kit with a detroit in the rear,and other stuff
05tjx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2007, 11:25 AM   #10
steveinmedford
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05tjx
did it start out of the blue did you go wheeling then came home and it started up. i bent my skid plate a little so now mine vibrates at about 35 top 45 mph. i got a new skid plate just to lazy to put it on
Sort of out of the blue. Don't usually drive that fast so not sure how long it may have been there. Not from wheeling or any rough stuff.

Like previously noted, knew there was a tire balance problem that was taken care of.

Drive shaft balance, hmmm, I'll check into that. U joints? Ball joints?

Sounds like there could be a number of causes. Exploring.....

Thanks all respondents, past and future?

Steve
Unread 11-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #11
FrankGG
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have that rhythmic vibration too!!! (2005 Rubicon)

It happens pretty suddenly once I hit ~73 mph, sometimes it moves up or down a few miles per hour, but yeah, I get about 1 second of vibration I can feel through the lower 1/2 of the cab, then 1 second of no vibration. No real vibrations on the steering wheel.

Its happened ever since I got my Jeep (I bought it used around July)

I was actually meaning to call Jeep and get it looked at, but I keep putting it off, though I should do it soon.

I asked a while ago about it and people seemed to think it was the driveshaft.
FrankGG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #12
Diz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have been having the same deal, mines about a 1 second on 1 second off kind of thing.

But i dont understand how a driveshaft can be causing this pulse. If the driveshaft is always moving at the same speed, or relatively the same speed, how can the pulse completely stop and start like this, constantly?

I thought it had something to do with the belts or some other engine parts, but i really have no idea.

03' Rubicon
Diz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #13
Dravintoad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diz
I have been having the same deal, mines about a 1 second on 1 second off kind of thing.

But i dont understand how a driveshaft can be causing this pulse. If the driveshaft is always moving at the same speed, or relatively the same speed, how can the pulse completely stop and start like this, constantly?

I thought it had something to do with the belts or some other engine parts, but i really have no idea.

03' Rubicon
Just so you know, the driveshaft doesn't constantly move at the same speed.
Unread 11-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #14
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diz

03' Rubicon
It's pulsing because there must be two slightly different frequency vibrations going on that are causing "beats," where they alternate between cancelling eachother out and amplifying one another- the result is a slow and rhythmic "WHIRR...... WHIRR....WHIRR.... WHIRR....". Probably has to do with a vibration in the driveshaft that is not supposed to be there, interacting with some other normally negligable vibration, coming from somewhere else in the drivetrain or from the tires.

-C

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #15
hoseclamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had the harmonic cycing vibes too. Did a 3.5" lift, 1" BL/MML, rear CV DS, no TC drop. I read somewhere it could be the thin metal skid emitting vibes, so I built a 1/4" thick steel one, even with a bit more clearance, smooth as silk.

JEEPS ARE NOT CARS, STOP CALLING YOUR JEEP A CAR!!!!!!!!
hoseclamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.