Rusty's FLCA's Rattling - replace with Currie or rebuild? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rusty's FLCA's Rattling - replace with Currie or rebuild?

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
GilpinTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Rusty's FLCA's Rattling - replace with Currie or rebuild?

One of my Rusty's adjustable front lower control arms is rattling like mad. When I grease it, the rattle goes away for a day or two. It feels like the threads are just worn and moving a little when I yank on it. They've been in there for 5+ years and I've greased them almost every oil change.

Can these be rebuilt or should I just drop the dough on Currie CA's?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #494

www.thepokerfloorman.com
GilpinTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It has nothing to do with the shank being loose in the tube. It has to do with the fact that rustys makes the trashiest joint on the market. The Currie JJ is a complete 180* swap.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
GilpinTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
It has nothing to do with the shank being loose in the tube. It has to do with the fact that rustys makes the trashiest joint on the market. The Currie JJ is a complete 180* swap.
Yeah, I know a lot more now than I did 5 years ago when I bought Rusty's and I'd go Currie instantly now if I did it all over. It sure "feels" like the shank is loose in the tube, but either way something's shot.

I figured if I could get away with a $50 rebuild instead of $300 for new Currie, I'd just rebuild for now.

www.thepokerfloorman.com
Unread 07-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Savvyoffroad.com

Do it right, do it once.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #5
GilpinTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiman View Post
Savvyoffroad.com

Do it right, do it once.
That's a nice advertisement, but I found the exact same CA's cheaper elsewhere. Plus I'm wondering if I can just rebuild for MUCH less. My budget makes me ask. I've never tried to rebuild CA's before...

www.thepokerfloorman.com
Unread 07-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilpinTJ View Post
That's a nice advertisement, but I found the exact same CA's cheaper elsewhere. Plus I'm wondering if I can just rebuild for MUCH less. My budget makes me ask. I've never tried to rebuild CA's before...
At least speak to Gerald at Savvy before deciding which is cheaper. For instance he often runs a 10% JF discount, so the website price may not be the right price to compare.
Unread 07-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilpinTJ
I found the exact same CA's cheaper elsewhere.
I'm sure this would be an interesting conversation starter with MrBlaine and/or Gerald.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
I'm sure this would be an interesting conversation starter with MrBlaine and/or Gerald.
Are you referring to the new Savvy aluminum arms? Are those available yet for lowers (which is what OP is looking for)?
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
GrapeApe
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Call or email Rusty's. You would be amazed at there customer service.
GrapeApe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeApe View Post
Call or email Rusty's. You would be amazed at there customer service.
Amazed? I don't think thats the word that many on here would use. If you do a search there are plenty of threads which discuss their "amazing" customer service. And even if it did turn out well, you are still stuck with their crappy product.
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #11
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How long has it been since they've started to rattle? I'm guessing it wouldn't be that hard to rebuild, but wouldn't you end up with the same problem a few years down the road? And which arms did you find cheaper elsewhere? They're aluminum lower CAs aren't on the site so I'm not sure if they're come out with those or not (they're nice because they can be adjusted on the vehicle), but they're Currie pricing is always competitive, especially with the JF10 discount. Show Gerald where you can get the stuff for cheaper and see what he says; if you think Rusty's has great customer service you'll be blown away by Savvy.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiman View Post
if you think Rusty's has great customer service you'll be blown away by Savvy.
^ This!!!

When was the last time you saw Rusty on JF openly discussing product issues with customers and making things right? Blaine doesn't seem to accept failure and Gerald works his butt off to give us what we ask for at a price we can't complain about so give him a call and get the Rusty's stuff out of there.
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rustys joints don't take a matter of years to start clunking and causing an otherwise good jeep to drive like crap.....it literally takes a matter of weeks. The bushings are even worse. Rustys is at the top of the list of "worst companies in the industry." Just look at their products first-hand and you won't dispute that.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Gerald @ Savvy guarantees the lowest price on currie products. Check out the vendors section for his thread on prices.

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #15
SpeedJeep
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm confused. What threads feel loose?

Sent from the Internet. duh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.