Rusty's Control Arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rusty's Control Arms

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 03-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Rusty's Control Arms

I tried doing a search but all the threads about Rusty's CA are either really old or have little actual info about them..

I already have the control arms, got them from a friend who never used them at a good price. This puts me in a tough position because I would love to buy 8 currie CA but the budget doesn't quite allow it now that I'm paying to go to grad school part time....

I have thought about selling the unused arms and saving up for Curries but I'm installing the 3" BDS lift this weekend and it will be hard for me not to install a nice set of beefy perfectly new arms when they're just sitting in my garage. I use this jeep to drive almost everyday to work and class and go wheeling about once a month so I want something that will perform well

Please no crackpot talk about how you're uncle's second brother once removed had a twin that ran them on his jeep and they blew up..I'm looking for guys with first hand experience with their arms. Thanks guy!

Tonellin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
metalhead
2000 WJ 

I have there lowers and adjustable upper arms on my grand cherokee. The lowers work good for me but the uppers were rubbing against the frame so I had to take them off and I bought new ones from iron rock offroad which are made from inch and a quarter tubing instead of 2 inch tubing like the rustys ones. The iron rock arms don't rub on the frame anymore. I know the frames are different between the tj and wj so the rustys arms may work for you better than they did for me.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellin View Post
I tried doing a search but all the threads about Rusty's CA are either really old or have little actual info about them..

I already have the control arms, got them from a friend who never used them at a good price. This puts me in a tough position because I would love to buy 8 currie CA but the budget doesn't quite allow it now that I'm paying to go to grad school part time....

I have thought about selling the unused arms and saving up for Curries but I'm installing the 3" BDS lift this weekend and it will be hard for me not to install a nice set of beefy perfectly new arms when they're just sitting in my garage. I use this jeep to drive almost everyday to work and class and go wheeling about once a month so I want something that will perform well

Please no crackpot talk about how you're uncle's second brother once removed had a twin that ran them on his jeep and they blew up..I'm looking for guys with first hand experience with their arms. Thanks guy!
I love my Rustys short arms. I have fixed lowers and adjustable uppers front and rear with Clevite bushings at both ends. No complaints with the fit and finish. Plenty beefy. They ride great.
Newtons3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rustys uses counterfeit Clevite bushings.....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...73/index4.html
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input guys..it always seems like such a toss up with Rusty products it's hard to pin point the right decision sometimes

Imped - I saw you're replies in a lot of the rusty's CA threads and you almost single handily convinced me to be patient, sell the rusty's and get some currie's haha I'm not worried about the CA's themselves cause they look quality and are super beefy, but the bushings do scare me. The last thing I want is to replace the damn bushings or have them tell me to weld a joint in because of failure. Maybe I'll just be patient and see how the lift goes
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just sell them. You'll get more for them now than you will once they're used.
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
BChance0975
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You bought them, you're on a budget, you're installing your lift.... Just run them and be happy. The bushings will hold up until you can afford whatever arms you decide you may need later, or put new bushings in them down the road a ways.
BChance0975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
willis36

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BChance0975 View Post
You bought them, you're on a budget, you're installing your lift.... Just run them and be happy. The bushings will hold up until you can afford whatever arms you decide you may need later, or put new bushings in them down the road a ways.
The problem is, if he runs them, he will not be happy. The bushings in these things, at least in mine, only last maybe a month, and the flex joints made so much noise i didnt even want to drive my jeep. This is personal experience, not second hand info...
willis36 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I did get a good deal on them and they're sitting in my garage looking all pretty, so I do have an itch to just install. But like Willis said I don't want to deal with rebuilding bushing or having to sell them as used down the line...

Maybe I'll win my fantasy hockey league in a few weeks and combined with the rusty CA's be able to afford curries?? haha
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The bushings will hold up until you can afford whatever arms you decide you may need later
That's debatable.
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
willis36

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you decide to go ahead and run them, you can always upgrade the joints at a later date. A johhny joint will thread right in where the rustys joint was, but the bushing side will have to be cut off and something else welded on. But if you do that, your buying things twice.
willis36 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
BChance0975
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My last rig I ran Rustys stuff for 2 years of daily driving to work, wheeled more than once a month and made a couple large trips a year to places like Ouray, Co. The people I sold it to have run it another 2 years without issues. I did bushings on it once, right before I sold it..That's my personal experience with Rustys, not second hand info.

Tonellin, maybe you would be better off selling them just so you won't have to put up with all the trash talking your rig will get for daring to be seen with anything Rustys. Oh well... at least you didn't buy anything Rough Country.. that could scar you for life.
BChance0975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Your stock arms will be fine with that lift. I say sell them and wait. There's no sense in using subpar parts when you know you want quality ones.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
408jeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No personal experience but was with a guy running rustys suspension and CA's and he said they were really good and he did extensive research
408jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Tonellin, maybe you would be better off selling them just so you won't have to put up with all the trash talking your rig will get for daring to be seen with anything Rustys. Oh well... at least you didn't buy anything Rough Country.. that could scar you for life.
I actually had Rusty springs/shocks on my old TJ I just got rid of before buying my LJ haha...I liked those springs just fine no complaints here. That's one of the reasons I made the thread and was thinking about running the rusty CA's

But I figured since I spend a good chunk of change getting a non abused LJ rubicon I should probably do it right and get currie, I'll probably end up running the stock CA's like tyvanwie for a while until I save the money

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.