Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rust Problems!

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Dodger60 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have recently noticed that my 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara is beginning to have some rust problems. Specifically, on the passenger-side torque box. The rear body mount is basically not even held on except by a few scraps of paint. I know that Classic Enterprises makes a quality replacement for this section. Seeing as though the Jeep is my daily driver, I have a couple concerns...

1) Can I still drive it without messing anything else up in the process? At least until the torque box comes in.
2) Should I get the full torque box or the section? It seems as though the front body mount is fine, but if anyone has done this job in the past then I am curious to know if it's easier to just install a whole one.
3) How much of a pain in the *** is this job?

I have access to a hydraulic lift; thus, I should not have an issue supporting the body.

I would like to keep my jeep running and driving as long as possible. Any responses are appreciated. Thank you in advance:smile2:

Sorry if the pictures are a little messed up. I'm new here.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah I did this..best to not drive it as you work on it.
Driving it until you get the parts is probably not going to cause more problems.
While you are at it check the other side as it may be starting problems and I would replace the body mounts with good urethane versions at the same time. Two reasons, one they are stiffer and better quality than original, two and more importantly replacing all of them forces you to inspect all of the body mounting points.
Classic Enterprises has reat good parts and I would strongly suggest replacing the whole thing I did on one side and used the partial on the other..wish I had used full replacement both sides.
Good luck and you will love the results the as your TJ will sit at full height and feel more stable when you are done.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I had underestimated the actual damage that had been done by the PO through lack of maintenance and ignorance. Of the 3 mounts attached to each torque box 5 of them were nearly completely rusted through and the 6th was indented. I figured I could repair or work around the issue and I did, but I have a full fabrication shop I can use as backup. I basically fabricated a plate that reinforced that whole front portion of the box it would have been easier and a better repair to use the whole box.
Also leaving an old piece of steel there instead of using a nice new part? False economy and that front part is not available on its own..
I lost a lot of my pictures taken as I worked on the job which took me months as I also had to replace 4 parts of the floor pan ...mine was a project and still is but has been my daily driver since I got it on the road.
I wish my frame was anywhere close to as clean as yours!! Northern climate and salt is hard on frames!
However if the PO had just done some basic maintenance like an occasional underwash drive through carwash? Popular up here to oil the inside of the frame and inside body cavities etc which is a huge deterrent to rot.

#5 ·
The frame didn't always look like that. I swapped it with one from down south a couple years ago because it was rotted all the way through. I have decided to order the full box for the passenger side and will be replacing it as soon as possible! If I got through a frame swap, this shouldn't be too horrible. Thanks for the information!

#6 ·
Frame swap? Wow I am impressed!
I probably won't go that far unless things change as not only is this a daily driver through our atrocious but beautiful Winter it also runs through bush trails in our endless supply of Crown land (public lands) up here in Northern Ontario. One of my last forays ripped my antenna off, not a great loss but a repair nonetheless, so I primarily work towards durability not beauty! If it works and is solid? Perfect!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.