Rust on the door hinges? ('03 Sport) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rust on the door hinges? ('03 Sport)

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-10-2003, 04:29 PM   #1
AggieTJ

Rust on the door hinges? ('03 Sport)

I took my half doors completely off for the first time last weekend. Funny thing happened: the driver's side came right off with no problem. The passenger side took some work, though. I had to slowly twist the door back and forth until it came off; it was almost like it had no grease on it. I wouldn't have thought much of it, but then a friend of mine who also has an '03 Wrangler decided to take their full doors off and the same thing happened: driver's side, easy; p-side, HARD! What kind of grease can we use on the hinges to make them slide on and off more easily, or does it matter?

On to the real topic here. I don't have a garage, so as fate would have it, sure enough Sunday morning, the rain came a-falling! I woke up and got outside to try to start zipping things up, but of course, the p-side door was being a real pain to get back on. Stupidly, I took a thick towel, placed it over the hinge, and gave it a good whack with a wrench to get some downward force on the door (trust me, when you are half-asleep and standing in the rain, you do some dumb things).

Well, it did work and the door slid on down the hinge with just a little more effort, but I did notice a slight crack in the paint on top of the hinge. Later, I think my socket chewed a very small piece of paint off one of the nuts as well. Should I worry about rust, and what can I put on it to protect it?

Unread 07-10-2003, 04:41 PM   #2
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This is a common problem. Also almost everyone chips the paint on those nuts. Use some lubricant to spray down in the hinges and it should help in the future. Now that you have had them off and back on it will probably not be as hard to do in the future. I suggest getting some touch up paint from the dealership or getting a sharpe pen that matches your paint and coloring in the chip. You will have to touch up with the sharpe every few months but I like it better than the touch up paint. later Brian

My Rig

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1072569/
bbusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2003, 05:57 AM   #3

buy the stainless ones, thats wha i did, mine come off with ease now, but enjoy putting teh hinges on
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2003, 07:06 AM   #4
rookie_sport_03

i don't know about the rust, but i know i have had the same problem getting the door back on. i found it works a little better when i put the tips of the door back in the holes on the jeep, start to close the doors and as it shuts the door should fall right into place. hope that helps!!

p.s. next time its raining like that, don't worry about the top!! (as long as your not driving) your jeep will be ok!!
rookie_sport_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2003, 07:17 AM   #5
lostwire

Head over to your local auto parts store & tell them you need some grease for your door hinges. After you put some on the posts of your doors they'll drop right in with a little wiggle.

Unless your pins are bent you shouldn't have any trouble again... that is, until you need some more grease
[SIZE=1][b]2000 Black TJ Sahara[/b] (manual) - R.E. 4.5 Super-Flex, 35" MT/R's, 15x8 AR767's, Ford 8.8, Dana 30, 4.88s, Eaton E-Locker, Lock Rite, Crane Covers, Nth Degree Shock Shifters, Bilstein 5150's, Atlas 4.3:1, Tom Woods shafts, Skid Row Engine/Oil Pan Plate, Kilby Tank Skid, AtoZ Fab 6-point Cage - Bumper/Tire Carrier - Stinger - Rockers, Line-X'd Interior, Flowmaster Fast Cat & a 40, Cobra 75WXST CB.[/SIZE]
lostwire is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.