Rust behind body armour? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rust behind body armour?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-09-2005, 05:49 AM   #1
Korruptor

Rust behind body armour?

Washed my gf's 2004 TJ yesterday with her and found a few scratches on the body below the door. I think it's from feet hitting it as people climb inside the Jeep.

She said she wanted to get some of that diamond plate body protectors for the side of the Jeep and my dad started saying how he would worry that water could get behind there, and then start to rust out the body.

Anyone have this problem? Is it a big risk? She already has the plastic door jam guards.

Unread 05-09-2005, 06:08 AM   #2
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have scratches on the side from people feet. Really started to scratch away the paint. Its on the drivers side though so its my fault, I figure its no worse than the other scratches. This was with the stock diamond plate rubi rocker guards. They come about half way up.

I do have rocker guards on the side that cover all the way up to the door (thus no more scratches). However I pulled them off today to repaint them since the paint it starting to come off (the paint didn't adheare well in the winter when I put them on). Anyways they have eating through the paint in areas.

Places do sell this plastic striping you can put on the back of the sliders to keep the water from getting in. I had these when I had the rubicon stock guards. They didn't keep the water out, and the paint still got messed up. It is duller and faded where the plastic rubbed against it.

Either way if you put something on the paint well be messed up underneath. Not to mention you have to drill numerous holes to mount these things, so no going back.

Personally I like my rocker guards, but I use them for functionality purposes. Wish I had them to begin with so I wouldn't have this nasty dent in the side.

Some people use silicon caulking, etc to seal them up, not sure how good this works.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
Av Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner85
I have scratches on the side from people feet. Really started to scratch away the paint. Its on the drivers side though so its my fault, I figure its no worse than the other scratches. This was with the stock diamond plate rubi rocker guards. They come about half way up.

I do have rocker guards on the side that cover all the way up to the door (thus no more scratches). However I pulled them off today to repaint them since the paint it starting to come off (the paint didn't adheare well in the winter when I put them on). Anyways they have eating through the paint in areas.

Places do sell this plastic striping you can put on the back of the sliders to keep the water from getting in. I had these when I had the rubicon stock guards. They didn't keep the water out, and the paint still got messed up. It is duller and faded where the plastic rubbed against it.

Either way if you put something on the paint well be messed up underneath. Not to mention you have to drill numerous holes to mount these things, so no going back.

Personally I like my rocker guards, but I use them for functionality purposes. Wish I had them to begin with so I wouldn't have this nasty dent in the side.

Some people use silicon caulking, etc to seal them up, not sure how good this works.
the silicone caulking seems to work good, I havent taken mine off but the silicone seals it real good
JC fab rockers and 1" seat lift
33"BFG MT's
Nth degree adjustable upper arm
Nth degree lower arms
Power trax front locker
Av Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 10:14 AM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The tub's sheet metal is hot-dipped galvanized, I wouldn't sweat it.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 10:39 AM   #5
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av Native
the silicone caulking seems to work good, I havent taken mine off but the silicone seals it real good
I've read that some sealants actually PROMOTE rust. What's good as a sealer AND rust inhibitor? 100% silocone?
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2005, 06:56 AM   #6
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCNY
I've read that some sealants actually PROMOTE rust. What's good as a sealer AND rust inhibitor? 100% silocone?
Winter (and salt) is coming, anyone have a suggestion?
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2005, 09:49 AM   #7
mphudak

I used Locktite "right stuff" when I installed mine. From years of working on watercraft I swear by the stuff. I coated my bolt holes/rocker guard holes as well as a nice thick bead and the top of my rocker before installation. Anything you do, considering it is done right, is only a precaution it's never a guarantee.
mphudak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2005, 10:01 AM   #8
FlatlineCowboy

if your worried about rust behind diamond plate then I would scuff the area down to rough it up, use some good spray on primer and coat over the area with rubberized undercoating, then apply your diamond plate over it.
[CENTER][COLOR=White][B]White Jeep Club Member #513[/B][/COLOR]

[B]2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition[/B]
White / Spice
4.0L, Auto, Soft top, D30-F / D35-R
30x9.50x15 Wrangler GSA
(4) 100watt driving lights & (4) 55watt reverse lights
Silverstar headlights & paint bezels black
[/CENTER]
FlatlineCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2005, 10:20 AM   #9
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner85

I do have rocker guards on the side that cover all the way up to the door (thus no more scratches).
Well, my powdercoated rockers have only been on my Jeep about a month and they are scratched/scuffed up on the sides from everyone getting in and out of them. I imagine that if the rockers weren't there it would've happened to the paint. I thought powdercoating was more resistant than scratching than paint so I'm a bit surprised it happened this quickly. Maybe it's because the black rockers show scratches more readily than the yellow paint. When I had the rockers put on the paint was just fine. Once you drill those holes and put those rockers on then you've pretty much gone down a one-way street.

The scratches on the rockers are cosmetic/superficial. They are from everyone jumping in and out of the Jeep, especially while wheeling. I'm debating whether to paint over the powdercoating so I can touch them up from time to time, especially the bars, which are really scuffed up and will only get worse over time. I'm sure a few rocks will hit 'em eventually too so I like the idea of being able to repray them once in awhile so that rust doesn't start to develop.

As for rust behind the rocker guards, I would think the main problem would be rust forming around any holes that were drilled into the tub so I would think that it's very important to spray paint into the holes when installing the rockers. When I wash the Jeep I make sure to blast water into the rockers top and bottom until the water runs out of them clear and get all dirt/debris out. I plan to do this regularly in the winter time once the snow hits the ground and the salt trucks do their thing.

Anyone paint over their powdercoated rockers to touch them up? If so, how did you do this and how does it look?

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Dirty Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2005, 10:24 AM   #10
Frooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlineCowboy
if your worried about rust behind diamond plate then I would scuff the area down to rough it up, use some good spray on primer and coat over the area with rubberized undercoating, then apply your diamond plate over it.
Why wouldnt you do that over the paint with a self etching primer? Wouldnt you want more coats of protection and not less?
Frooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2005, 10:34 AM   #11
roketman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had mine covered by Line - X. They look great and no more scratches.
02 Yellow TJ Sport. The axles and transfer case are 2004 Rubicon with Solid diff covers. Rubicon Express 5.5 long arm with Rancho 9000 shocks. PSC hydraulic steering. Poison Spyder tube fenders rockers and crusher corners. Blue Torch Fab front stubby, winch plate, and rear bumper. ORF cage with Rockhard harness bar. Corbeau CR-1 seats with Corbeau 4 point harness. 35" Hankook MTs on Raceline Rock Monster beadlocks. Warn M800 winch.
roketman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.