Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Running In Hot Temps

982 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Wildcat83 
#1 ·
I live in Arizona, lately the daytime temps have been hitting 105° and higher.
My TJ has been running at slightly higher RPMs and when I stop at a light the RPMs will rev up 500-1000 above idle, then drop back to normal. Also, there also seems to be more engine noise. Can anyone tell me if this is just a jeep thing or do I need to address something. Thanks

#11 ·
I've found on the forum here that the NV3550 is a noisy transmission by nature, and from the day I got the Jeep it has made a bit of noise - a growling to be exact (but goes away with the clutch pedal pressed in). Ever since summer hit and I use the AC constantly, the growl has gotten a bit worse.

Around February I changed the transmission fluid to Penzoil Synchromesh and it helped smooth it out a bit but did nothing to the noise. I'm not sure if the heat is making it worse, but in the next week or so I plan on changing the fluid again with the Mopar stuff to see if it affects the noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.