Running 32's with 3.07 gears and 3 speed auto? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Running 32's with 3.07 gears and 3 speed auto?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-07-2005, 08:55 PM   #1
zach1288

Running 32's with 3.07 gears and 3 speed auto?

I have a 99 TJ sport with a 3 speed auto (without OD) and 3.07 gearing and 136,000 miles. I want to install a RE BB, 1"BL with 32" tires. Will that be to hard on my engine and tranny? Some people said it will be to much strain on the tranny/engine etc. With the amount of miles on it i dont want to put strain on anything. Im 16 and dont have the money to regear or fix the tranny if it over heats. Can someone help me out?

Thanks,
Zach

zach1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2005, 09:28 PM   #2
zach1288

Anyone???.
Unread 10-07-2005, 10:00 PM   #3
zach1288

Bump......
Unread 10-07-2005, 10:04 PM   #4
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach1288
Bump......
You won't too many friends with 2 bumps in just over an hour... on a Friday night nearing midnight East Coast time... Be patient... I'm sure somone on here will have an opinion, it just takes a bit... Most people on here are gracious and willing to help out and share the "Jeep Love", but it takes a day or two sometimes, espeically at this hour...

Do you need a decision tonight so you can run out and buy these things right now?

SW2

BTW, per our earlier disucssion, I say go for it myself, although I've never run that config and have quite a bit lower miles on my 99... Sorry...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2005, 10:10 PM   #5
Red Rhino
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hi Zach,

Don't sweat it. My TJ had 3.07's, 32's and a modest lift for 2 years! Everything will be fine. You just need to stay on top of your maintanence schedules for the engine and trans. Fresh oil and filters in both are the key to survival for the drivetrain.

What you will notice is a decrease in acceleration due to the tire change. This also translates into lower RPM's at higher speeds, so if you have a commute that takes you on the highway, or fast roads, you may see an increase in MPG.

Off road you will notice that you have to use the brakes more on steep desents due to the lack of compression braking from the tire/wheel combo. It's not such a big deal as long as you use the middle peddal as little as possible to avoid unsafe slides and overheated brakes.

Take it easy, and get out there and wheel!
RED! 2001 Sport, Auto, Rubicon Dana 44's front and rear, Superior axles, Skyjacker 2.5" and .75" RE spacers with BFG Mud Terrain 32's, Advance Adapters SYE, Airaid TBS, Flowmaster Exhaust, ARB Safari Snorkel, Manik grill guard, 4X Dr. diff guards, RR deep tranny pan, Skid Row engine skid, Warn rock sliders, Truck Master Designs Steering Box skid, Currie tie rod, CB Rack, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Olympic Rock bumper rear, Cobra 148 GTL...and the saga continues...
Red Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2005, 10:32 PM   #6
zach1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rhino
Hi Zach,

Don't sweat it. My TJ had 3.07's, 32's and a modest lift for 2 years! Everything will be fine. You just need to stay on top of your maintanence schedules for the engine and trans. Fresh oil and filters in both are the key to survival for the drivetrain.

What you will notice is a decrease in acceleration due to the tire change. This also translates into lower RPM's at higher speeds, so if you have a commute that takes you on the highway, or fast roads, you may see an increase in MPG.

Off road you will notice that you have to use the brakes more on steep desents due to the lack of compression braking from the tire/wheel combo. It's not such a big deal as long as you use the middle peddal as little as possible to avoid unsafe slides and overheated brakes.

Take it easy, and get out there and wheel!
Do you have a 3 speed auto or a 4 speed, and should i change the tranny fluid and filter often? i thought you only had to change it like every year or so.
Unread 10-07-2005, 10:52 PM   #7
Red Rhino
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 3-speed.

Consult the owner's manual for details about the oil and filter change. I believe the heavy maintanence schedule says change at 30K, and probably every 30K after that.
RED! 2001 Sport, Auto, Rubicon Dana 44's front and rear, Superior axles, Skyjacker 2.5" and .75" RE spacers with BFG Mud Terrain 32's, Advance Adapters SYE, Airaid TBS, Flowmaster Exhaust, ARB Safari Snorkel, Manik grill guard, 4X Dr. diff guards, RR deep tranny pan, Skid Row engine skid, Warn rock sliders, Truck Master Designs Steering Box skid, Currie tie rod, CB Rack, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Olympic Rock bumper rear, Cobra 148 GTL...and the saga continues...
Red Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2005, 11:51 PM   #8
odanny

Lot's of folks here ran 33"s with 3.07 gearing. I did and I had the exact same automatic transmission. It didn't put a noticable strain on my tranny but whether or not that set-up would have led to long term damage I don't know. I do know that it sucked and I had no passing power at all. So I regeared. And it wouldn't hurt to get an extra deep tranny pan like I did from Currie, you can go ahead and change the pan and filter and you not only have an extra deep pan for extra fluid if you wheel but you also have a drain plug if you wish to change the fluid more frequently.
odanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2005, 12:05 AM   #9
bigblackblur

Look, Im gonna give you the bottom line. If your used to driving a fast or moderately fast car, this is not for you. But if your willing to be on the go pedal constantly and forcefully then you can do it. Is it liveable? for some it is. I know your exact situation, Im 18 as are my friends, one has a 98 with 4cyl auto, BB and 32s.
To your question of strain, he killed one transmission with no lift and 31s and then after only 2 months with his 32s he killed his rebuilt transmission. The transmission is probably the only thing that will undergo most of the stress as it takes a pounding with everything.
Take this with a grain of salt however because my freinds driving style is not exactly what i would call condusive to long lasting drivetrain parts.

Couldnt tell you what a new tranny pan would do for you, and since your like me and poor in the way of auto parts money goes I would forget about it.

But look on the brightside, you've got a jeep. If you keep an eye on the transmission ie listen for funny noises and feel for unusually rough shifting then you should be fine.

From one teenager to another, its better to have mods with some trouble than no mods at all. The badass points are definitely worth the trouble.
Unread 10-08-2005, 06:44 AM   #10
zach1288

Well i was thinking i could install a tranny guage to keep an eye on the temp, new pan, and maybe a tranny cooler.
Unread 10-08-2005, 08:57 AM   #11
bigblackblur

you could, if your worried about it, install the tranny temp gauge first. That way you'll be able to tell if you need the other stuff before you spend the money on them.
Unread 10-08-2005, 09:00 AM   #12
zach1288

How much is a guage? Is it easy to install?
Unread 10-08-2005, 09:04 AM   #13
bigblackblur

look on www.summitracing.com

search for Transmission temperature

looks like anywhere between 40 and 60 bucks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.