Rumble in front end with slight turn - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-24-2016, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
KrasnoyarDJn
1972 DJ 

Rumble in front end with slight turn

Hi Its been a while since I jumped into one of these so apologize in advance for any goofs. I searched the threads for similar issues and either the thread stalled without resolution or was on a lifted rig with trail tires and different issues.
So I will start another and hope for some ideas.
I have an 04 TJ it is a RHD sport stock hight and tires. My wife delivers Mail in it so the suspension takes a beating. 70 miles a day and 550 stops +30 to 50 shutdown restarts for packages in under 5 hours.
I donít drive it often but today I did put about 40 miles on it and noticed that at 65 in a slight turn or even straight if the steering had to have some input to keep it on track I felt a rumble. Not when going straight, accelerating, or braking unless combined with a slight correction input. The steering wheel stays calm but you can feel it. You can feel it in the gas pedal. Straighten the steering and it quits, turn it a degree or two and it is back. I though wheel bearing but canít feel anything when jacked up. I thought U-joint on front drive shaft thinking it might be just off center and shaking due to that. Both axles have a movement when I pry on them Just a ďclickĒ It seems to be only on the part of the cross connecting to the outer section of axle. The left front diff seal is leaking so should fix that but wondering if I may need axles as well? Can front axle u-joints do something like this?

I Jacked it up and tried to move the tires by hand I canít feel any play in the steering. Prying on any ball joints I can find a way to, I donít see any movement.
I have not rotated the tires, I see suggestions to do that as well as check torque on suspension bolts.
Can someone point me to a link for torque numbers?

Appreciate any ideas or thoughts I may have missed. If I missed the thread with the answer, please point me that way as well.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-25-2016, 06:44 AM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Front axle u joints would be my guess if you start to feel it only when turning.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-25-2016, 09:12 AM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Probably due for a differential fluid change at this point anyway, so I would suggest opening the differentials, inspect everything (especially the gears within the differential itself), and give them some fresh fluid.

Good link: http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/diff-1.htm

post #4 of 14 Old 08-25-2016, 09:40 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_13 View Post
Front axle u joints would be my guess if you start to feel it only when turning.
That'd be what I'd check first too. Look at the u-joints for any dust or rust coming out from under the bearing caps. Then with the tcase in neutral and the front tires off the ground, spin each tire individually with the steering turned to the sides to see if you see any movement on the bearing caps.

If you end up replacing the u-joints, go with a Spicer 5-760x which is a direct replacement that is both stronger and more durable than the Spicer 5-297 u-joint the factory installed.

No guarantees your issue is caused by the u-joints of course but they're a good place to start.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-25-2016, 09:47 AM
grininmonkey
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
go with a Spicer 5-760x which is a direct replacement that is both stronger and more durable than the Spicer 5-297 u-joint the factory installed.
https://amzn.com/B009X1XDZG
post #6 of 14 Old 08-25-2016, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
KrasnoyarDJn
1972 DJ 

Thanks. Yall, I didn't notice anything around, on, or near the axle U-joints. I didn't look really close but I didnt see a way to take them apart either so had expected fixing it would require a complete axle assy. I will grab the light I didnt need 30 years ago and take another look.

Nothing gained without trying & nothing anyone ever built I can't tear up eventually.
Appreciate everyone who replied.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-25-2016, 10:46 AM
grininmonkey
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It might not be something you will see at the caps, nor spot by turning with no resistance. If a few needles have turned to dust creating some play within the cap then you might need to find a way to feel the joint when you slowly turn a wheel... but it might need a touch of pressure or resistance to pop into a needle void. IMO, in a questionable but not obvious case, pulling the shafts is the best option so you can really check them out for smoothness before breaking one down.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-25-2016, 11:29 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrasnoyarDJn View Post
I didn't look really close but I didnt see a way to take them apart
They're replaced by pressing them out with a press, vise, or simply a big hammer smacking on a socket sized just smaller than the u-joint bearing cap.

Here's one way to do it... http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ujoint1/u-joint-1.htm

At the low end of tool availability is how to use the hammer technique in this great (!) video...

https://youtu.be/8jpME2VD1oA. This is one of the better/easier/faster ways to do it as unlikely as it may seem.

Here's another video by the same individual on how to spot a bad u-joint...

https://youtu.be/OVC76dSBNnY

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-25-2016, 11:33 AM
Loukaps
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I've never used anything but a hammer and a vice to replace u joints in an axle shaft. And pliers or a chisel to remove the retainers.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-25-2016, 11:36 AM
grininmonkey
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have the HF press and used it at first, but then discovered how much easier (seems that way) to use vice and sockets. But I keep the HF press in my tool bag in the Jeep.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-25-2016, 11:54 AM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grininmonkey View Post
I have the HF press and used it at first, but then discovered how much easier (seems that way) to use vice and sockets. But I keep the HF press in my tool bag in the Jeep.
HF press is great for removing u-joints, but I switched to a mallet and sockets for installing them, after the HF press was able to put so much force on a u-joint that it broke a cap (a Spicer one!) and launched a piece of it across my garage.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-25-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
KrasnoyarDJn
1972 DJ 

Great, Thanks for the links.
I will take a look when not on company time..

Thanks for all the help.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-27-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
KrasnoyarDJn
1972 DJ 

Hey again. TJ's Dana 30 is apart so near as I can tell the U-joints were mostly ok. But the Left side carrier bearing is shot and the right side discolored. So looks like a bit mroe than anticipated. Setting up the lash and bearing preload on the carrier is a little less familiar to me than U-Joints. Where can I find data for doing that?

Thanks.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-14-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
KrasnoyarDJn
1972 DJ 

I want to thank everyone for the replies. Every comment helped me think through the process.

I couldn’t find a local source for the better U-joint PN's that were recommended so will run the stock for now. Changing them is pretty easy so could upgrade any time with minimal fuss.

Carrier bearing change was pretty straight forward. I couldn’t find a rental puller kit anywhere so ended up buying a puller set at HF that maybe isn't super quality but did the trick. I cut the cage with side cutters and watched the rollers scatter all-over the garage floor then pulled the race off. Cleaned out the diff housing, Lots of silver powder in there from the bearing that was failing. The new cones went on with low fuss with a block of wood and 3lb. hammer. Hardest part was working out how to put the new seals in the housing. TJ feels better on the highway now no rumble in the front end. BTW does anyone know where to buy the U-joint cross parts for the steering shaft? These feel loose so allow some play in the steering which cant be a good thing.

So again Thanks for the help.

Tags
front differential , rumbling , steering , suspension , vibrations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.