Rugged Ridge Tie Rod and Drag Link - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rugged Ridge Tie Rod and Drag Link

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-13-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
jawalterusmc
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Rugged Ridge Tie Rod and Drag Link

I had a new Tie Rod and Drag Link installed to replace my bent stock tie rod. I have had my Jeep aligned by two different shops and still can't get it aligned. It won't stay aligned. The last shop thought they had it aligned and every time they took it out for a drive the front alignment would be off again. They also found that the steering wheel would never stay centered. If you turn the wheel all the way to the right and bring it back to center..it wasn't. And the same goes for all the way to the left. The steering wheel never comes back to the same spot when the wheels are centered. They say there is so much play in the new tie rod ends that they can't keep it aligned. Has anyone else had difficulty with this set up? Was it installed improperly? Is this a defective assembly?

jawalterusmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You will never center the steering wheel however they should be able to get the alignment right. Reason for the nsteering whel issue is the fact that the tierod and drag link rock up and down. Very hard to explane but where the drag link connects to the tierod, the whole thing can rotate some up and down. That will throw off your steering wheel. Nothing you can do about it. The instructions actually tell you that info.
jeep95xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
jawalterusmc
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep95xj View Post
You will never center the steering wheel however they should be able to get the alignment right. Reason for the nsteering whel issue is the fact that the tierod and drag link rock up and down. Very hard to explane but where the drag link connects to the tierod, the whole thing can rotate some up and down. That will throw off your steering wheel. Nothing you can do about it. The instructions actually tell you that info.
I paid Classic City Off Road to install it and get it aligned so I never saw the instructions, nor did they explain any of that to me before or after wards. They said I may need to buy adjustable lower control arms, front and rear to correct the alignment issue.

They will do the right thing in the long run. It just may take some time to correct these issues with alignment shop they use or in dealing with Rugged Ridge. They have not encountered this kind of problem with other installations on TJ's.

Last edited by jawalterusmc; 07-13-2009 at 09:28 AM..
jawalterusmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep95xj View Post
You will never center the steering wheel however
Avoid any shop or product that tells you that. I've aligned and centered the steering wheel on more rigs than should be legal and the only time one won't stay centered is if the steering gear has a problem or something else is trashed.
Unread 07-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawalterusmc View Post
I had a new Tie Rod and Drag Link installed to replace my bent stock tie rod. I have had my Jeep aligned by two different shops and still can't get it aligned. It won't stay aligned. The last shop thought they had it aligned and every time they took it out for a drive the front alignment would be off again. They also found that the steering wheel would never stay centered. If you turn the wheel all the way to the right and bring it back to center..it wasn't. And the same goes for all the way to the left. The steering wheel never comes back to the same spot when the wheels are centered. They say there is so much play in the new tie rod ends that they can't keep it aligned. Has anyone else had difficulty with this set up? Was it installed improperly? Is this a defective assembly?

that's BS...

if there was even a hint of slop in the tre's an alignment shop that knows what they are doing wouldn't even touch it without replacing the worn part...

take it to someone that knows what they are doing and can find the actual problem, which sounds like a loose track bar issue....

O' an not being able to center the wheel....

I love to hear that while I'm cutting the end off to shorten the rod, which will allow the adjustmnet needed to center the wheel with a small lift..

i'ts all about knowing what you're doing, Take it somewhere else, quit messing around.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawalterusmc View Post
I paid Classic City Off Road to install it and get it aligned so I never saw the instructions, nor did they explain any of that to me before or after wards. They said I may need to buy adjustable lower control arms, front and rear to correct the alignment issue.

They will do the right thing in the long run. It just may take some time to correct these issues with alignment shop they use or in dealing with Rugged Ridge. They have not encountered this kind of problem with other installations on TJ's.
I wanna hear what alignment issue the non adjustable rear control arms are causing......

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 07-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

This is why I removed my RR setup. It sucked along with this was wandering, excessive play and bump steer. I'm now back to the stock setup. Someday I'm gonna shorten the RR tierod, rethread it and use this to replace the stock one, but leave the stock draglink. This is one of those "WORST MODS I'VE EVER DONE TO MY TJ"
Unread 07-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
I wanna hear what alignment issue the non adjustable rear control arms are causing......
. No kidding, take it somewhere else or do a bit of research so you understand the alignment factors associated with solid axles....it's pretty simple stuff.

Should have gone with Currie.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
TanTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

shoulda jus went somewhere else
2004 TJ X 5spd, 30-Aussie locker and Chromo'd, 44-lsd & disc brakes, 4" Currie lift, Anti-rock, 1.25" bl, UCF 1" skid & Lo-pro mount, AA SYE, JKS MML, ZJ V8 Tierod, JKS Trackbars, smittybuilt winch w/ synthetic line, Caravan fuel injectors, CAI, TB spacer, flowmaster 44 2.5", 35x12.50x15 km2, 7" fenders, uniden cb
TanTJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
pachary
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just clock the tie rods slightly opposite each other. This will redice the "rolling" effect, just don't do it so much they bind. I put my RR setup on my D30 and it did fine up to 80 MPH with UNBALANCED 37 SSR radials on Eaton 15x10" beadlocks.

That or get dsomething like the JCR disc looking tierod end bushing dohickies. They steering "setup" is not the problem.

2005 TJ Unlimited/I6-M6/Rubi 4:1 Tcase/4.5RESF/1.25JKS BL-1BMML/37"SSRs/WarnM8000/Besttop TireCarrier/Waggy D44/ FR-RR DetroitD44/Cobra Remote CB/custom F&R Bumpers/JeeperMan Skids/York OBA/Rokmen TummyTuck/TNT 3" Fenders and Rear Corners/AA SYE- Carolina Drivelines CV Shaft
pachary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

after a call from mrblaine, I relized what we are dealing with....

in reality the wheel can still be centered but will have kinda a dead spot when the tie rod and drag link roll...

here's how tommyR fixed or at least attempted to take care of it.. hopefully it'll link the thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Here you go. They are basically spacers to put between the tie rod ends and knuckles to prevent the tie rod from rotating as the drag link pushes down on one side of the tie rod.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 07-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
pachary
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
after a call from mrblaine, I relized what we are dealing with....

in reality the wheel can still be centered but will have kinda a dead spot when the tie rod and drag link roll...

here's how tommyR fixed or at least attempted to take care of it.. hopefully it'll link the thread...

YEP, that's the dohickey!

2005 TJ Unlimited/I6-M6/Rubi 4:1 Tcase/4.5RESF/1.25JKS BL-1BMML/37"SSRs/WarnM8000/Besttop TireCarrier/Waggy D44/ FR-RR DetroitD44/Cobra Remote CB/custom F&R Bumpers/JeeperMan Skids/York OBA/Rokmen TummyTuck/TNT 3" Fenders and Rear Corners/AA SYE- Carolina Drivelines CV Shaft
pachary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I have the Rugged Ridge steering on mine as weel. Tomorrow it will go back to stock. My advice is to sell it while it's in good condition and buy something else. It's crap. Not as strong as it looks either, one hit to a rock and mine has a nice big bend in it. That style steering as a nice dead spot in it, which feels terrible on the road, and can't be safe. Killer bump steer too. Buying currie or fabbing hi-steer when the cash is there.
Unread 07-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #14
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGriffith View Post
I have the Rugged Ridge steering on mine as weel. Tomorrow it will go back to stock. My advice is to sell it while it's in good condition and buy something else. It's crap. Not as strong as it looks either, one hit to a rock and mine has a nice big bend in it. That style steering as a nice dead spot in it, which feels terrible on the road, and can't be safe. Killer bump steer too. Buying currie or fabbing hi-steer when the cash is there.
if you have bumpsteer the, RR isn't exactly the cause of that.. you either have a droped pitman arm or droped track bar bracket with a stock pitman..

now that is bumpsteer....

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 07-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #15
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
if you have bumpsteer the, RR isn't exactly the cause of that.. you either have a droped pitman arm or droped track bar bracket with a stock pitman..

now that is bumpsteer....
I don't have either a dropped pitman arm or dropped track bar bracket.
Started as soon as I put the RR on. I'm sure having a steering stab. on would help, but I can't image that curing everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.