rubicons - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rubicons

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-16-2003, 09:28 PM   #1
Savage4x4

rubicons

please post likes and dislikes key board broke cut\pasteing letters

Savage4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2003, 09:36 PM   #2
steelerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage4x4
please post likes and dislikes key board broke cut\pasteing letters
Rubicons are okay, I just say save the $6000. Lift it, get lockers, and it will look better. Oh yah, I love pulling my buddy(with a rubi) over the tuff stuff with my Sahara.
Unread 10-16-2003, 11:05 PM   #3
04Willys

The main thing I don't like about it are the lockers. They can only be used in 4Lo and under 10mph. My dad's 94 YJ has lock-rite lockers front and rear, they are locked all the time in the rear and all the time in the front during 4wd, they can be used at any speed, and they unlock when going around turns on dry pavement.

"[COLOR=white]The no-mind no-thinks no-thoughts about no-things.[/COLOR]" - The Buddha
04Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2003, 11:29 PM   #4
blupupher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Willys
The main thing I don't like about it are the lockers. They can only be used in 4Lo and under 10mph. My dad's 94 YJ has lock-rite lockers front and rear, they are locked all the time in the rear and all the time in the front during 4wd, they can be used at any speed, and they unlock when going around turns on dry pavement.
There is an easy fix for that to let you use it anytime. Just a quick re-wire. DC had to do that because too any people who have no clue what a locker is would be locking them all the time on dry pavement and breaking stuff.
And stock, they can be engaged in only 4lo and under 10mph, but stay engaged even if you go faster than 10mph.

But I agree with if you like to tinker and build a Jeep, You could do just as well or better than the Rubi for the same price. But if you want something that is ready out of the box, the rubi is it.
blupupher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2003, 12:22 AM   #5
PrfctAggression
Web Wheeler

My guesstimation ss that if you took a Wrangler X, then bought D44s, lockers, gears, a NV241OR t-case, tires, and wheels, you would spend at least as much as the sticker on the Rubi, and you would have no factory warranty on all these parts. I wanted something very capable from the get-go, and the Rubicon delivers. Plus, all I really need to add is a lift, and maybe do a belly-up and I'll have a very nicely equipped trail rig.
[COLOR=yellow]Yellow Jeep Club and Redneck Jeep Club member #666 [/COLOR]
PrfctAggression is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2003, 07:02 AM   #6
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrfctAggression
My guesstimation ss that if you took a Wrangler X, then bought D44s, lockers, gears, a NV241OR t-case, tires, and wheels, you would spend at least as much as the sticker on the Rubi, and you would have no factory warranty on all these parts. I wanted something very capable from the get-go, and the Rubicon delivers. Plus, all I really need to add is a lift, and maybe do a belly-up and I'll have a very nicely equipped trail rig.
Exactly. There's nothing that says a Rubicon can't be built up. I'm just starting from a higher point. The Rubicon had pretty much everything I was going to add anyway, so I just financed it all together and it's under warranty... well, at least most of it is. I may have voided parts of my warranty.
Unread 10-17-2003, 08:12 AM   #7
DaveFL

I hear this all the time...."For the price you paid for the Rubicon I could build up a better Jeep"

I say to each there own, half the time I think folks try to be arrogant about my Rubi just beacuse they don't have one There will always be attitude good or bad but then again I always say Wheeling is 80% Driver and 20% vehicle.

Okay lets go through a few things.

So you buy your base TJ SE or X model with the 4.0 engine I'll leave out AC just to save you money also leave out a hard top.

Your out the door at 18-20K. You have a 30/35 Axle set up and rear Drum brakes.

Okay we will not take into account suspension since either Jeep will most likely recieve a lift.

To put Dana 44's front and rear, If you do the work your looking at a Min of 1500$ if not more. Hopefully your rear dana Replacement will have disc brakes.

Lockers, front and rear selectable to compare to rubi you have the Electra Trac, and Arb both make units for the 44 axles Min for both and again considering you do the work your self $1500

Side Rocker panels $200

Atlas or NV241 Again you do work yourself $1300

Gears $500

That alone you have at least 5K$ invested and I think I was pretty generous with pricing. So now you have a X or SE model nicely built for 23-25K but you've voided the crap out of your factory waranty.

Now You can buy a base Rubi No AC soft top 5sp with the 1500 Cash back, and if your a current Jeep/Chrysler owner get another 1K in incentives for around 24-25k And even lifted your warranty covers your drivetrain to an extent.

So I personally think the Rubi is the way to go. I am sure you can build cheaper, and its easier to build over time so in cases you get a lower model cheaper with that in mind thats fine as well.

But if you can afford it, get the rubi.

Oh and BTW yes you can buy a slightly used Jeep for cheaper, but you can also buy a used Rubicon, I paid 21K for mine with 4k miles on it So tell me how your gonna build a comparable 03 Jeep to mine for 21K unless your Jesse James and the companies are giving you "FREEBIES"

Dave
Nth 6"LA lift, TT, Stinger/Slider Combo, Superwinch EPI9000, Durango Front & Rear, ORF Tire Carrier, Independent Locker Mod, 15x8 Crager Locks, 35" MT MTZ,Rock Hard Parts trail Cage, AEM Dry Flow, Viking Fastback Top.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2003, 08:14 AM   #8
Savage4x4

ThanX

\The Rubicon had pretty much everything I was going to add anyway\ easy fix for that to let you use it anytime---define \anytime\.......But if you want something that is ready out of the box, the rubi is it.
eXactly everything I want stok And factory warranty gas mil 5spd
only gripe is lockers then
sorry key board broke cut\pasteing letters -not a moron need 25000 dollars
Savage4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2003, 09:58 AM   #9
n2audio

if you can swing it then go for the rubi.
i was shopping for one when i found my sport.
saved about 14 grand so for me it was a no brainer (sport was used)
[color=red]Red Jeep Club #60[/color]

99 TJ
n2audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2003, 11:20 AM   #10
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The $6000 is baloney. The Rubicon package costs $3800 list price above an identically-optioned TJ Sport. Of course, many people do not pay list price, so the actual price premium is less than that. Try to add lockers, HD transfer case, HD front axle, rocker guards, and MT/Rs on alloy wheels to a Sport for $3800 or less - the Rubicon is a bargain, and comes with a warranty.

If you must have the ultimate Jeep, buy a used SE model and give it all new powertrain and suspension and tires. If you want a moderately built Jeep with a factory warranty, wheel a Rubicon in stock or near-stock form.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2003, 03:00 PM   #11
Rogue

Not to mention the cool 16" wheels are standard, and if you were to replace wheels and tires on each, you would get more coin for the Rubi wheels, so it is NOT a wash!

Banks Stinger System - Cat Back
AC,Full Doors,7 Spkr w/ Sub,Deep Tint
Sienna Pearlcoat/Khaki Roof and Guts
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2003, 03:21 PM   #12
Lipstud

noob question incoming....

is Rubicon just a separate company that adds on their own gadgets and modifies jeeps like how Saleen is to a mustang?
'03 Lauracon #0250
Automatic, 16x8 Alcoa wheels, 31" Goodyear MT's, Air Lockers, Light Bar, Riveted Fender Flares

[COLOR=sienna]BigWaylon Fan Club Member #4[/COLOR]
Lipstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2003, 04:01 PM   #13
ncragains

Rubi rewire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher
There is an easy fix for that to let you use it anytime. Just a quick re-wire. DC had to do that because too any people who have no clue what a locker is would be locking them all the time on dry pavement and breaking stuff.
And stock, they can be engaged in only 4lo and under 10mph, but stay engaged even if you go faster than 10mph.

But I agree with if you like to tinker and build a Jeep, You could do just as well or better than the Rubi for the same price. But if you want something that is ready out of the box, the rubi is it.
Any info on that rewire? Love to see it. Are there conversion kits to access the air pump for re-airing the tires and other uses?
ncragains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2003, 04:14 PM   #14
04Willys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipstud
noob question incoming....

is Rubicon just a separate company that adds on their own gadgets and modifies jeeps like how Saleen is to a mustang?
Nope, Rubicon is just the name of an edition, like Sahara or sport.

"[COLOR=white]The no-mind no-thinks no-thoughts about no-things.[/COLOR]" - The Buddha
04Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2003, 09:58 PM   #15
blupupher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncragains
Any info on that rewire? Love to see it. Are there conversion kits to access the air pump for re-airing the tires and other uses?
Here it is:

http://rockcrawler.com/techreports/j...pass/index.asp

Just remember this would probably void alot of warrenty stuff though.

I don't think the compressor would have enough pressure to air tires. The locker on the Rubi activates with like 9 psi of pressure.
blupupher is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.