Rubicon Unlimited lift with 35" tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon Unlimited lift with 35" tires

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-23-2005, 07:57 AM   #1
todds21

Rubicon Unlimited lift with 35" tires

I am looking at buying the Rubicon Unlimited and need some advice on how big of tires that I can go and keep it safe as a daily driver. My buddy has a wrangler v6 5 speed wiht a skyjacker lifer and 33x12.50 BFG MT and I like it alot. I have driven it on the trails as well on the highway and it is what I would expect for a lifted jeep. The Unlimited has a longer wheel base and the Rubicon provides some beefier components like the axles as well as 4 wheel disc brakes and 4:10 gears. I will be getting the manual transmission. So far I like the Rubicon Express 4.5" long arm kit, from everything I have read it seems the consenus is that the 4.5" is more stable on the road than the 5.5". Can I go to 35" tires and still keep it safe as a daily driver? Will the 35" tires with 4:10 gears on a Rubicon perform like my buddies 33" with 3:73 gears if both are v6 standards? Will the 4 wheel disc brakes on the Rubicon be enough of a brake upgrade to handle the 35's? You guys are a wealth of knowledge and I am hoping you can be my reality check. I don;t want to create a safety hazard as this is my daily driver on the freeways as well as weekend cruiser. I have waited many years to get this jeep and do it up right and plan on keeping it for probably 10 years as a daily driver. On that note with proper maintinence should I be able to get 200,000 miles out of a jeep? I can handle a little less pep at getting up to speed on the highway, its a lifted jeep. Main concern here is it going to be a stopping problem or can I beef up the front brakes any if necessary.

Thanks,
Todd

Last edited by todds21; 07-23-2005 at 10:23 AM..
todds21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2005, 10:27 AM   #2
CJM

Rubicon Unlimited Lifted With 35s

Ebay Listing

Didn't know if you had seen one yet, but they look sweet with 35s. I would assume that the brakes will be allright. Hell, a dealership is trying to sell that one brand new with lift and tires....and under warranty.

I just would not advise putting a 35 on the back tailgate like they did.

i would also guess that with everything the same 3.73 with 33s should be close to 4.11 with 35s.

[URL=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/CJM1/Jeep%20Pictures/43377.jpg]Pic of my Rubi.[/URL]
CJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2005, 10:43 AM   #3
todds21

I had not seen that one on ebay yet thanks. That definately gives me some peace of mind since a dealership is doing the combo off the floor. Not sure how the automatic trans will hold up with those tires. I agree wiht you on putting a 35" tire on the tail, my buddy with 33" BFG MT bad the spare come flying off when the bracket broke. Anyone have any opinion if a manual trans will hold up better long term with the added stress of 35" tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM

Ebay Listing

Didn't know if you had seen one yet, but they look sweet with 35s. I would assume that the brakes will be allright. Hell, a dealership is trying to sell that one brand new with lift and tires....and under warranty.

i would also guess that with everything the same 3.73 with 33s should be close to 4.11 with 35s.
todds21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2005, 10:48 AM   #4
sohmaka36

It's a rubicon, it was born to be lifted. Your Dana 44's can take up to 36' tires, I think so. If your gonna lift, go all out, get a 6 inch and throw 35's, the 4:10 will help that 4.0L HO. Don't go any smaller, you'll regret it later.
sohmaka36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2005, 01:47 PM   #5
got4-Lo

only thhing that rewally nedd to be beefed in the steering

[URL]webwheeling.com[/URL]
got4-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2005, 03:18 PM   #6
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It really doesn't matter if you are modding a Sport, a Rubi, or an Unlimited......you are still basically talking about the same engine and tranny with new 35" tires. Steering, braking, and acceleration is all pretty much going to be the same, regardless of which model you are changing.

That being said, I would not recommend 4.10 gears for 35" tires with a manual tranny. If your buddy is running 3.73 gears w/ 33" tires ( I would not recommend that either) and you like it, then you'll probably like 35" tires on 4.10 gears. Myself, I would not be happy with it. I have 35" tires with 4.56 gears and there are many times I wish I had 4.88 gears.

I run a modified braking system (hydroboost) on my '98 and I would not go back to a stock setup.

As for steering....pushing new 35" rubber on the trails can be hard on stock components and an upgrade in this area would be welcomed as well.

There are plenty of modified 35" tired rigs on the road with less than desirable gear ratios, braking systems, and steering. And lots of their owners will tell you that they get along just fine....and they probably do. I prefer something more than just getting along.....and it took me a number of years to get it all put together.

What you want is up to you.....your $$, your rig, your decision.

One of my friend's that runs Moab with us each spring has an old YJ.....with a little 4 cylinder in it. Last time I checked, the engine had over 250K on it....never had the engine apart. He did some tranny work a couple of years ago. So yes, with good maintenance, it is certainly possible to see 200K miles on a SWB Jeep.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2005, 03:26 PM   #7
Reno4x4.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohmaka36
It's a rubicon, it was born to be lifted. Your Dana 44's can take up to 36' tires, I think so. If your gonna lift, go all out, get a 6 inch and throw 35's, the 4:10 will help that 4.0L HO. Don't go any smaller, you'll regret it later.
I run 35s with true 4" lift and 1" body lift, why would he need 6"?
Unread 07-24-2005, 11:22 PM   #8
Brian4.2

I am runnind 37" MTRs. Off course you need a 4 1/2 long arm and a 1" body lift.
It is an unlimited/rubicon.I did beef up the axle shafts all around with Superior alloy shafts.4:88 gears.
Brian4.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2005, 07:37 AM   #9
RubiconSS

I guess "Safe daily driver" is a matter of opinion. If it were me and I was drivin' my kids around. If you have your heart set on lifting, I wouldn't even consider anything bigger than 35" (and would probably stop at 33" with the appropriate lift). I would do it "Top of the line" with the best of everything I could get.
They do look good lifted. I hate the look stock (just personal opinion, too long)
Unread 07-25-2005, 07:44 AM   #10
DC Plasterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM

Ebay Listing

Anyone know who that lifted Rubicon Unlimited - Sahara belongs to in the link above? Please PM me... I have one also, would like to discuss his lift and tires.
DC Plasterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2005, 08:01 AM   #11
htownjeep
What's that noise?

It's all in the the ad man....Landers Chrysler Dodge Jeep, 7800 Alcoa Rd, Benton AR 72015...501-316-4400
Unread 07-25-2005, 10:10 AM   #12
PB Foot
2008 JK Wrangler 

I use mine as a daily and have no problems loading the kids up for a road trip. the vehicle drives great! it is very stable and I feel it rides better than when it was stock. you can find pics at the link in my sig. the four wheel disc brakes seem more than enough to stop the 35s.
PB Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 09:47 PM   #13
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

what about 35's with an auto? Still 488's?
34" Toyo AT2's

Sold 2005 Red Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics

2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
RedRubiconLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 09:49 PM   #14
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver4banger
what about 35's with an auto? Still 488's?
I'd say so.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 10:57 PM   #15
skates04
2008 JK Wrangler 

As far as going all out and doing 6 inches, I think the 4.5 would be perfect, it does come out to being around 5 inches of lift, it should work fine and not rub, however it may rub just a little, and then a one inch body lift would be fine if needed.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.