Rubicon TJ vs. Sahara TJ -- Rubicon owners chime in! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon TJ vs. Sahara TJ -- Rubicon owners chime in!

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 12-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
retromag123
2007 JK Wrangler 

Rubicon TJ vs. Sahara TJ -- Rubicon owners chime in!

Ok so planning for the future....

I currently have a 99 Sahara 5spd with a 4" suspension lift running 33x12.50s, and stock gears and axles. I bought the jeep this way and I know running the 33s makes my rear end a potential ticking time bomb... What my question is, and trying to get advice is should I invest the money into beefing up my 99 with 108k to dana 44s and whatnot or buy a newer model rubicon with the gears and axles already there...

Opinions please! Thanks in advance

retromag123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
mcg311TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Buy the rubi, turn your Sahara into a trail rig The only thing better then 1 Jeep is 2
mcg311TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
rob78
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by retromag123 View Post
Ok so planning for the future....

I currently have a 99 Sahara 5spd with a 4" suspension lift running 33x12.50s, and stock gears and axles. I bought the jeep this way and I know running the 33s makes my rear end a potential ticking time bomb... What my question is, and trying to get advice is should I invest the money into beefing up my 99 with 108k to dana 44s and whatnot or buy a newer model rubicon with the gears and axles already there...

Opinions please! Thanks in advance
There's a low mileage (40k and change) 04 Rubicon around here priced at $13.8.

I'd get a rubi, but I'm a little biased...
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Sobie
Bolt-on Maniac

Might want to check your rear axel. Saharas has a dana 44 option. But the 35 is fine on 33s.
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
BadJeep2006
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It really depends on how far you are going. If you want a rig that is offroad ready and can handle 35's, go Rubicon. If you plan on going bigger than that, invest the cash into axles on your old TJ. The Rubicon is a great out of the box Jeep. The front and rear lockers are hard to beat and you get the D44's. The Rubicion is not the be all rig though. It has limitations and becomes just another Jeep if you expect to exceed them in the future. So if you are going mild to moderate, go Rubicon. If you see extreme in your future, build your current Jeep.

Joe
BadJeep Build: D60 front W/ARB and 5.38 gears, Sterling 10.5 rear W/ARB and 5.38, 3 Link front, 4 link rear, 14" ORI Struts, Atlas II transfer case, A to Z Fab full cage, Genright fenders, A to Z Fab front bumper, and Warn M8000 winch. Thinking stroker in the future.
BadJeep2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
kuebelwagen
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Buy the Rubi, D44's and lockers!

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

2004 Rubicon
1995 Cherokee
kuebelwagen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJeep2006 View Post
It really depends on how far you are going. If you want a rig that is offroad ready and can handle 35's, go Rubicon. If you plan on going bigger than that, invest the cash into axles on your old TJ. The Rubicon is a great out of the box Jeep. The front and rear lockers are hard to beat and you get the D44's. The Rubicion is not the be all rig though. It has limitations and becomes just another Jeep if you expect to exceed them in the future. So if you are going mild to moderate, go Rubicon. If you see extreme in your future, build your current Jeep.

Joe
Very well said.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
mcg311TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuebelwagen View Post
Buy the Rubi, D44's and lockers!
That would make no sense what so ever if his current Jeep has a 44 in the rear... D44 Front vs. d30 front, is a zero point. If it has a 44 in the rear, get a Aussie up front and a selectable in the rear. besides a TC he'll have him self a rubi.
mcg311TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How big of tires are you planning on running?

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg311TJ View Post
That would make no sense what so ever if his current Jeep has a 44 in the rear... D44 Front vs. d30 front, is a zero point. If it has a 44 in the rear, get a Aussie up front and a selectable in the rear. besides a TC he'll have him self a rubi.
Lower gears in the axles and limited slip/locked rear moot point yes

And the fact the rubi would be atleast 4 years newer.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Buy it. Better yet get an LJ Rubi. Its what I did.

What part of the SS are you from?
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #12
msiefer
Eat, Sleep, Jeep...

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I faced the same delima with my 2000 TJ. Ended up picking up a 2005 Rubicon w/37k for $15k, best move I could have made. Look for a Rubi...
msiefer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #13
retromag123
2007 JK Wrangler 

I do want to beef it up quite a bit, at least run 35's... but the benefits of the rubicon are really just the lockers, 44s, gearing... anything else???

I appreciate the fast responses guys
retromag123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #14
blkbetty02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Depends on what you want to do with it. A D35 can handle 33's. Especially if you gear up. But if you want to go any bigger you would need the D44. You can build you Sahara up to have everything the Rubi has, it's just up to you whether you want to do the wrench time or if you want to spend the money on the Rubi and get the lower miles. I wouldn't do it just for the rear axel though. Just my
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #15
MisterO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg311TJ View Post
the OP claims to have the 35, so buying Rubi axles Will actually make a difference as far as his main concern (running 33's)
yes you are correct about the fact that a rubi44 front has the same inners but as of now he has no locker or 4.11's up front..
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.