Rubicon super flex vs standard lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon super flex vs standard lift?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #1
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Rubicon super flex vs standard lift?

I see a $300 price difference between the superflex and the stanard 3 1/2" lift kit. What's the main difference and should it be something to consider?

BChamberlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
red99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchamberlin
I see a $300 price difference between the superflex and the stanard 3 1/2" lift kit. What's the main difference and should it be something to consider?
if you would look at the website they will tell you the extras you get with the superflex.

www.rubiconexpress.com
Unread 03-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #3
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I did..just didn't know if it was worth the extra cash at this time. I was reading how it could be upgraded with components purchased later.
BChamberlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
Bulldoze95
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The only real difference between the 2 kits seems to be that the superflex comes with some fixed lower control arms and longer brake lines.

Personally, I would grab the standard kit and an adjustable front track bar, slap it on and then save up for adjustable control arms in the future. The reason I suggest an adjustable front track bar is because drilling a new hole so close to the old hole (for the trackbar) is sketchy at best imho.

This of course is if you are on a budget.
Unread 03-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
Loser1
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The Superlfex kits come with rebuildable joints at one end of each control arm. What does that mean.....That I can rebuild them if they get worn out....rather than pressing in new rubber ones? Flexes more than the standard kit? I don't really know, someone should be around shortly to define the reason for it. I did however go with the 4.5" SF kit because it had more components for the build.

HTH????

L1
Loser1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2006, 06:22 PM   #6
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

The adjustable super-ride will be better for a Jeep that is driven on the street. The super-flex joints can be quite harsh. New rubber bushings are cheap and are not any harder to replace than the SF joint. You will not notice any difference in offroad performance between the two adjustable arms.

HTH

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #7
redrock4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTimZJ
You will not notice any difference in offroad performance between the two adjustable arms.

HTH
NO that's far from the truth (no offense).

You will notice increased bushing wear, and it is possible overtime for your control arm brackets to fatigue and eventually the welds could fail. This happens all the time with solid arms with poly bushings, granted the rubber bushings are a little softer but still there's just no flex to the Super Ride arms.

The Super Ride arms are far stiffer than stock. The stock arms themselves twist/rotate when the suspension is flexing. Replacing that with a solid tube, and re-using the stock bushings is a bad idea for a trail rig IMO.

There is really little to no difference in on road ride quality between the Super Flex and Super Ride arms either, since you're still keeping rubber at one end of the control arm.

With that said, the Super Ride kits are only available for XJ/ZJ, so this has no bearing on a TJ lift discussion.

In regards to this thread, the Super Flex kit adds lower control arms front and rear, sway bar disconnect, and extended front brake lines. Off road it will easily outperform the Standard kit due to the addition of the disconnects. It also includes the Super Flex control arms which will flex a little easier than the stock arms.

The Super Flex arms can be upgraded to adjustable arms too. As is they're a little longer than stock which helps to correct your front caster angle and rear pinion angle after installing the lift. If you upgrade to adjustable arms, you gain full control over your caster and rear pinion angle which can be useful for dialing in the on road ride.

Personally I don't like the Standard kit, there's just not enough parts there in my opinion. My recommended minimum starting point would be the 3.5" Super Flex kit w/ adjustable front track bar, and adjustable lower control arms. With this setup you can adjust everything just right to make for a nice street driven Jeep, and it will perform very well off road. Things to add later would be adjustable upper control arms, an adjustable rear track bar, and a SYE/CV conversion.

If you want to do things right and be done from the start, I would recommend the 4.5" Super Flex kit (w/ 3.5" coils if you want to run 33"s) with upgraded adj. lower arms, and a rear track bar. This completely replaces the stock suspension, and it gives you everything you need to add a SYE/CV.

If all of this is starting to sound like it's outside of your budget, personally I'd say go with the 2" Budget Boost kit and a 1" body lift and motor mount lift. If you want a cheap lift that you don't need to worry about, the budget boost is really your best bet. With the 3.5"+ kits, ideally you want to do a SYE/CV and that's where things start to get expensive.
redrock4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2006, 06:35 PM   #8
redrock4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldoze95
The only real difference between the 2 kits seems to be that the superflex comes with some fixed lower control arms and longer brake lines.
And disconnects
Unread 03-10-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
redrock4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser1
The Superlfex kits come with rebuildable joints at one end of each control arm. What does that mean.....That I can rebuild them if they get worn out....rather than pressing in new rubber ones? Flexes more than the standard kit? I don't really know, someone should be around shortly to define the reason for it. I did however go with the 4.5" SF kit because it had more components for the build.

HTH????

L1
You're not paying for the rebuildable feature, what you're after is the flex joint. This allows the suspension to flex more w/o bind. Basically the suspension will flex easier than with a solid arm with rigid bushings at each end.
Unread 03-10-2006, 06:38 PM   #10
redrock4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchamberlin
Yeah I did..just didn't know if it was worth the extra cash at this time. I was reading how it could be upgraded with components purchased later.
You can upgrade later, but add up the cost of those items separately and you'll find a big difference. The Super Flex kit is easily worth the extra cost.
Unread 03-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #11
Bulldoze95
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Jason,

regarding << My recommended minimum starting point would be the 3.5" Super Flex kit w/ adjustable front track bar, and adjustable lower control arms.>>

When you say lower control arms, you are talking front and rear correct?
Unread 03-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #12
redrock4x4

Yep.

You can upgrade them for a minimal fee and I would recommend upgrading both front and rear to adjustable arms. That gives you control over your front caster angle, as well as your rear pinion angle which is useful to minimize driveline vibration.
Unread 03-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #13
foreman1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock4x4
If you want to do things right and be done from the start, I would recommend the 4.5" Super Flex kit (w/ 3.5" coils if you want to run 33"s) with upgraded adj. lower arms, and a rear track bar. This completely replaces the stock suspension, and it gives you everything you need to add a SYE/CV.

I have this exact set up and Jason is right, it's great. Got my pinion and caster set up with no problem and performance is awesome on and off road.
foreman1063 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.