Rubicon or Sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon or Sport

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
mjbinks
2011 JK Wrangler 

Rubicon or Sport

Hi there, I am in the market for a mid-2000s Jeep. I am wondering: I do some fairly easy/moderate off-roading, live in Northern Ontario with some snow and like the idea of a 2-3 inch lift with 32 or 33 inch tires. I am wondering if the Rubi's features are designed exclusively for off-road performance. I understand the gearing and axles, is there anything else that would make a huge difference to my maily on-road life? Thanks for your advice, it is always appreciated.

mjbinks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
stump1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

well If you can afford it, rubicon is the way to go
dana 44's, 4.10s', no slip yoke, hd xfer case, lockers, skids, etc
you can find good deals
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump1 View Post
well If you can afford it, rubicon is the way to go
dana 44's, 4.10s', no slip yoke, hd xfer case, lockers, skids, etc
you can find good deals
This all day long.
Think of the long term too OP, if you ever go to sell/trade in your Jeep, the Rubicon will always be worth more.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

there is no difference in the skids from a rubi to a non rubi

the rear axle is a LSD when not locked on the rubi, which is not as desired in the snow
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

For fairly easy/moderate off-roading the Rubicon extras while nice are overkill. And really when you break it down the value in a Rubicon is only the 4:1 in the transfer case and the lockers. Everything else is either of little to no value at all (e.g. diamond plate rocker guards), of minimal value for your plans (e.g. no need for slip yoke eliminator (since at 2-3" lift you may not need it anyway)) or potentially going to be changed out based on your plans (e.g. axle gearing (depending on which transmission you get 4.11 may not be deep enough for 32-33s)). If you can afford them the selectable lockers and 241 TC are nice to have, but a Sport in decent shape going to be materially cheaper for you and you could throw in a lunchbox locker and you'd be fine with the 2.72:1 in the 231 TC.
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
gargyle
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Don't forget the Sahara. It has some nice "refinements" for Jeeps that are mainly road vehicles. Plus it is more than capable at mild to moderate off-road. My Sahara has A/C and cruise, with 3.73 gears and four wheel disk brakes. All it needs is a lift for bigger tires, you don't really need to change the wheels, they are good enough stock. Buying a used Rubi or Sahara can save you money in the long run because they come with some good stock stuff.
gargyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargyle View Post
Don't forget the Sahara. It has some nice "refinements" for Jeeps that are mainly road vehicles. Plus it is more than capable at mild to moderate off-road. My Sahara has A/C and cruise, with 3.73 gears and four wheel disk brakes. All it needs is a lift for bigger tires, you don't really need to change the wheels, they are good enough stock.
The Sahara package is only a trim package. All performance related stuff (e.g. D44 rear, 3.73 gearing) are options on the Sahara, the same as a generic Sport. Can't just buy a Sahara and assume it will have those things.

And pretty much all stock wheels will be fine for 32-33s. Suggesting you need to change wheels is a complete red herring. The issue to be sensitive to with stock wheels is that they have a lot of backspacing and so if you want to go to wide tires that can become an issue, but that deep backspacing is an issue for all of them (Sahara included).
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
stump1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
For fairly easy/moderate off-roading the Rubicon extras while nice are overkill. And really when you break it down the value in a Rubicon is only the 4:1 in the transfer case and the lockers. .
don't forget about the dana 44 rear in the rubi though
unless sport has them standard too but not sure about that
and I think its always goodto have lockers reguardless of any terrain
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump1 View Post
don't forget about the dana 44 rear in the rubi though
unless sport has them standard too but not sure about that
and I think its always goodto have lockers reguardless of any terrain
Sports have the D44 as an option so not standard, but if he shops around it shouldn't be hard to find one.

For easy to moderate terrain lockers make a driver lazy IMO. People should drive open diffs for a few years and learn. And as I said in prior post dropping a lunchbox or some other auto locker in the rear of a Sport is not that hard or expensive.
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
dropping a lunchbox or some other auto locker in the rear of a Sport is not that hard or expensive.
would that be a good idea for a mostly street driven jeep that sees snow rather regularly?
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
would that be a good idea for a mostly street driven jeep that sees snow rather regularly?
I think it depends who is driving the jeep. If it is mostly just OP and he has a clue then I don't think it is an issue. Lots of people do it and they get used to how it handles and know what to expect. On the other hand, for somebody like me who has teenage kids who be driving the jeep I didn't feel comfortable with anything other than a selectable. For what OP is talking about doing the premium for a selectable (either stock Rubicon or aftermarket) seems like wasted money to me. If he's worried about the autolocker then just leave it open and drive intelligently on the trail.
Unread 10-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I bought my first jeep several months ago and ended up with a Rubicon. It is a daily driver, though I do get out to the mountain trails pretty often. It's as good of a DD as any other TJ.

While I like having the lockers, I honestly have never used them even on the so-called "advanced" trails I have done. The trail guides are conservative in their ratings and I am working my way up to more difficult things. However, I do really appreciate the 4:1 t-case. In my opinion, the transfer case is where the value is for most people.
Unread 10-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
silver97tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hi all

if you can afford it then get the Rubicon. otherwise the other is just fine for what you do, I run 31s and some lift , stock 2.5, I can do moderate trails easily and it is a DD......................................
Support our Troops!! Thank You!!!
silver97tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
05x

I was in a similar position I had an x with 2" 31s but wanted more and the Rubi was a no brainer for me it had everything I wanted out of the box for dd and trails. It's always nice to have the extras if you need them then to not have them when you want them. Im running 35s both on and off road and have no issues. Granted you have to pay to play to make sure if drives the way it should. Theres good deals out there I drove 3hrs to get mine stock and it was worth every penny. Good luck with whichever one you land on.
05x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

As a Rubicon owner (only because my previous Sport TJ was stolen), I wouldn't buy the Rubicon expecting that its lockers would be useful on your snow or ice-covered streets. Lockers on extremely slick/icy/snow-covered streets are bad news, they cause skidding & if the front locker is also engaged, dicey/iffy steering.

Yes the Rubicon includes a limited slip differential in the rear axle when the rear locker is not engaged but that limited slip differential is also available in far less expensive non-Rubicons like Sports or the fancier Sahara.

Most Rubicon owners seldom, if ever, use their lockers on trails where lockers are actually needed.

So if you plan to do moderately tough or tougher trails, by all means get the Rubicon but keep its lockers off when on slick ice or snow-covered streets. But if your offroading needs are easy to moderate, I don't believe you'd benefit from the lockers & the Rubicon's extra-low geared 4:1 transfer case that is really best on extremely slow-crawling trails like rock crawlers enjoy. The other Wranglers have a 2.7:1 transfer case that isn't oriented towards the ultra low-speed crawling crowd that enjoys very technical and challenging trails.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.