rubicon rocker install on non rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rubicon rocker install on non rubicon

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 02-26-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
Columbia TJ
1999 WJ 

rubicon rocker install on non rubicon

Ok so I purchased a set of Rubicon Rockers and then I even purchased the ridiculously priced hardware to properly install them with the Mopar parts.

Went to install, should be simple, but the nut inserts and bolts or whatever dont seem to hold them in at all. I would have thought that the nut insert would mushroom out when you put the bolt/screw in to hold it to the body, but it doesnt.

So there has to be a trick, please let me in on what it is, haha.

Columbia TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 04:54 AM   #2
Mick VT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

just about to do this myself.

I havent bought the rivnut type fasteners yet, but it seems to me that they require hex holes (as opposed to round holes) in order for them to work as you described. They are also horredously expensive from DC - I'm looking to get round rivnuts for the holes I have to drill (the ones on the side). I just need to work out the size first. The downside of round rivnuts is they require a setting to to fit them correctly - although you can buy the tool plus the nuts from a hardware supplier for less than a complete set of the OEM ones.
Mick VT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
robncar
Lets hear it for Gravity!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Were you able to get them to crush? How did you install the nutserts? A homemade tool can be made from a longer bolt, a nut and a couple of washers. Something like this (thanks 4x4explor!) just keep the nut still as you tighten the bolt. The nut, in this example, does NOT thread onto the bolt, it is oversize:
dsc01879web.jpg  

Last edited by robncar; 04-07-2007 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: Added pic
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 07:59 AM   #4
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

My father-in-law helped me install these at his auto body shop last summer.

On the sides, we had to drill the holes. We first pre-drilled a hole using another piece of metal to make sure the drill hole was the perfect size for the nutserts. Then we attached the rocker panels on the bottom (using the pre-drilled holes), took a metal punch and punched a point for the drill holes along the side. Then removed the rocker panel, drilled the side holes, and painted the holes with primer. Then we inserted the nutserts with a sealent. There was a special screw that you screw in that tightens the nutsert (and they were tight!). Then you remove the special screw, put the rocker panel back on, then put the screws in that stay in for good. Something like that!

As far as the screws and nutserts, Mopar did a fabulous job and just threw them loose in the box along with the rocker panels! The box broke open in transport, so half the hardware was missing. My father-in-law contacted a buddy at a dealer, who got us replacement hardware at no cost (yeah, I know their expensive to buy on their own!). Plus since the hardware was loose, it scratched up the rockers, so we ended up taping them off and repainted them.

They look great btw. I wheeled in CO right after the install on some rocky trails around Ouray, and they didn't get any scratches. Funny thing is that I actually got some scratches right above them, below the door frame. I have Rubi flares going on as soon as it warms up.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Last edited by grogie; 04-07-2007 at 08:17 AM..
grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.