Rubicon Rear Diff Gear Oil Change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon Rear Diff Gear Oil Change

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
parcours
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rubicon Rear Diff Gear Oil Change

OK guys, I just changed my rear diff gear oil to 75W140 Synthetic after running 80W90 dino for ~1500 miles and the magnet(s) (both) had more metal dust that I expected.

I purchased the Rubicon about a month ago and have been going through systematically changing maintenance items, (coolant, belt, hoses, spark plugs, oils). The Jeep has 58K and since I don't like being stranded, changing all the fluids was required.

My main concern is the rear diff oil. I drained the 58K miles oil and it had metal dust on the magnet as I expected. I put in dino 80W90 just becuase I didn't have the 75W140 Synthetic. I ran the Jeep for 2K miles and changed the rear diff oil again. The amount of metal dust on the magnet was a lot less than the 58K drain, but more than I expected.

How much metal dust is normal in a D44?

Thanks.

parcours is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
RubiconBlack
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did you "clean" aka use brake clean or degreaser to clean the inside of the diff? If you try cleaning the diff with some good brake you will see the clean carrier, ring, pinion,etc. The newer oil will clean too. Like a good synthetic should. Maybe go half of the recommened mileage with the synthetic and see what you find.
RubiconBlack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
parcours
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't remove the diff cover thinking 58K miles shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe I'll check it again in 1K or so miles. If the synthetic has a similar amount of metal dust, I'll take it apart and clean the diff.

BTW, the front diff didn't have as much metal dust as the rear. I'm hoping it's not a drive line alignment issue.

Thanks.
Unread 07-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

SO the drain plugs in the rubi d44's have magnets on them? I learn something everyday I tell ya. I've never removed them, I always remove the covers and use brake cleaner to flush them out and take a look around while I'm in there.

Probaly will use the drain plugs next time tholugh as I've never had a problem.

Probably just some residual metal shavings in there from the original juice.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
parcours
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockster View Post
SO the drain plugs in the rubi d44's have magnets on them? I learn something everyday I tell ya. I've never removed them, I always remove the covers and use brake cleaner to flush them out and take a look around while I'm in there.

Probaly will use the drain plugs next time tholugh as I've never had a problem.

Probably just some residual metal shavings in there from the original juice.
Actually, both the fill and drain plugs have magnets. This is a nice feature.

I drained and refilled the transfer case also, no magnet on the drain plug.
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
RubiconChris
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 05 Rubicon with 60k and mine had a decent amount of metal also. I hope its not a big deal.
RubiconChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcours View Post

I knew about the fill plug magnet as I re-used it when I went with the SOLID covers. I'm sure I blew the crap off the drain plug magnet when I hit it with the brake cleaner.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 12:50 AM   #8
bojang
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcours View Post

There is a magnet just on the inside of the case, behind the drain plug.

Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that I ask for.

Never trust a lumpy fart.
bojang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
axle , metal , rear , rubicon , shaving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.