Rubicon Locker Sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon Locker Sensor

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 12-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
McChillen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Rubicon Locker Sensor

I have a rubicon locker and a rubicon housing that I am piecing together to put under my TJ. However the little black sensor on the pumpkin is beyond saving. I can't seem to find the part number for it either...I can find the ones for JKs just not TJs. Is this sensor even necessary? If I just run a switch for the pump will I be fine? I feel like I will, obviously I won't have a confirmation via the sensor that the locker is engage. Is my best bet to just plug the hole and forget about the sensor?

McChillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd just plug the hole and forget it.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
CanadianTJguy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

its a good thing to have the sensor to indicate "locked" or "unlocked"

it can take a little movement to fully lock the lockers.
i always make sure my lights are [ON] before i stand on the gas up a hill.

sorry, i do not have a part number for the sensor. maybe try and find a d44 blown up view schematic somewhere, i have seen them for D60s(when i searched)

Good luck.
CanadianTJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
laddie
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The wires to my front locker broke right at the sensor about a year ago, the only place I could find a replacement was at the dealer. I don't have the part number but it was about $90 for the sensor and attached wiring and connector. I've just been running without it, it works fine the light just flashes.
laddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I completely rewired my Rubicon's lockers with a simple on-off switch for both and it works great as is. That sensor isn't needed to tell you when the axles are locked.

All each compressor needs is a simple source of switched 12 volts to work fine. Each compressor has a built-in pressure switch to shut itself off once the correct pressure is reached.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
McChillen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah sounds like trying to track down the sensor isn't worth it. Thanks everyone, I'll just run an on/off switch to the pump like most of you suggested. Thanks everyone!
Unread 12-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
geroux
2004 TJ Wrangler 

With a 2000 TJ you don't even have the dashboard indicators to tell you if you're locked or not. Not really an issue. Plug it up and hope they're locked.

I may have missed it, just a warning, don't try and lock Rubi lockers with an ARB compressor or anything else. They only require 5lbs of pressure.
geroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Testykalz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You can use an onboard air compressor or ARB compressor, just make sure a regulator is used!
Testykalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testykalz View Post
You can use an onboard air compressor or ARB compressor, just make sure a regulator is used!
I don't know that I'd trust a regulator to consistently and reliably reduce the air pressure from the usual 80-120 psi all the way down to the 5 psi required by the Rubicon locker's air bladder. That bladder isn't exactly robust & once it blows out or develops a leak as I have already had in my rear locker, you'd have a very difficult time finding a replacement. I got very lucky on finding a used bladder replacement for my rear locker, they are as rare and hard to find as hen's teeth.

I certainly would not go that route, one bad air pressure regulator could prove very expensive if not fatal for the Rubicon's locker. For the Rubicon's locker, I'd go to a lot of effort to only use an OE air compressor to give that locker every chance of remaining operative and reliable.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
Testykalz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post

I certainly would not go that route, one bad air pressure regulator could prove very expensive if not fatal for the Rubicon's locker.

Makes sense... That would be a major bummer.
Testykalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
nmj48
2005 TJ Wrangler 

McChillen, if you are still looking for the axle lock sensor P/N it is 52104610AA for an 04/05 TJ Rubicon front/rear axle from chrysler
nmj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #12
geroux
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Even with the sensor, which is a little plunger that senses the position of the actuator, your 2000 TJ has nowhere to plug it into. I may be wrong because I haven't looked at my FSM but I'm guessing sensor signal goes to the PCM and then from the PCM to the dashboard indicators. Neither of which your 2000 TJ is equipped for.
Plug the sensor hole and hope they're locked.
Unread 12-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
McChillen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmj48 View Post
McChillen, if you are still looking for the axle lock sensor P/N it is 52104610AA for an 04/05 TJ Rubicon front/rear axle from chrysler
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroux View Post
Even with the sensor, which is a little plunger that senses the position of the actuator, your 2000 TJ has nowhere to plug it into. I may be wrong because I haven't looked at my FSM but I'm guessing sensor signal goes to the PCM and then from the PCM to the dashboard indicators. Neither of which your 2000 TJ is equipped for.
Plug the sensor hole and hope they're locked.
It doesn't seem that the signal goes to the PCM...
This write up:http://www.links4jeeps.com/forum/ind...?topic=11630.0 shows the wiring into a non-rubicon and he didn't touch the PCM and still had a signal light to show the locker was engaged. But I still think I'll just plug the hole, just doesn't seem worth it to pay $80 for a sensor.
Unread 12-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #14
geroux
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McChillen View Post
Thanks!

It doesn't seem that the signal goes to the PCM...
This write up:http://www.links4jeeps.com/forum/ind...?topic=11630.0 shows the wiring into a non-rubicon and he didn't touch the PCM and still had a signal light to show the locker was engaged. But I still think I'll just plug the hole, just doesn't seem worth it to pay $80 for a sensor.
I see what you're looking at in that install write up. That's new info. An added aftermarket dash indicator.

I was saying you wouldn't have the OEM dashboard indicators. Which, more than likely but as I said I haven't looked at the schematics, the sensor signal goes to the PCM then to the dash assy indicator on the factory Rubi dash.
Unread 12-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #15
McChillen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroux View Post
I was saying you wouldn't have the OEM dashboard indicators. Which, more than likely but as I said I haven't looked at the schematics, the sensor signal goes to the PCM then to the dash assy indicator on the factory Rubi dash.
Good point

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.