Rubicon Locker Bypass Switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon Locker Bypass Switch

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 02-14-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
robert92679
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Rubicon Locker Bypass Switch

I was looking at a write-up on how to bypass the Rubicon lockers safety so the lockers can be used in 4W-Hi. Here's a link:

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...pass/index.asp

I like the idea of a switch to enable the bypass. Other write-ups I've seen didn't include the switch and I was concerned that the lockers might be accidentally engaged at the wrong time.

The write-up suggests some aftermarket switch, but I'm looking at my panel and there are three open positions for additional factory switches that I don't have.

Does anyone know that part number of a generic on/off factory switch that I can install in one of those positions? My Jeep is a 2005.

Thank you!

Unread 02-15-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

There are three different ways you can jump the switch to bypass it. The number one and four pole jumper method will let you use the lockers in 2hi and 4hi, but will retain the factory setting of having it not engage at speeds above 10mph. This should eliminate them accidentally being engaged at speeds that would be dangerous. This is also the bypass I used and have had no issues with it.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
jalbs

Do you have a link for the "number one and four pole jumper method"?
jalbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbs
Do you have a link for the "number one and four pole jumper method"?
It's in the o.p.'s link: http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...hoto=chart.gif
Unread 02-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
whitham_wannabe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n
There are three different ways you can jump the switch to bypass it. The number one and four pole jumper method will let you use the lockers in 2hi and 4hi, but will retain the factory setting of having it not engage at speeds above 10mph. This should eliminate them accidentally being engaged at speeds that would be dangerous. This is also the bypass I used and have had no issues with it.
But then they disengage at 10mph .... I bypassed mine completely and instead rely on the big orange lights in the dashboard and common sense to know when I'm locked.
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe
But then they disengage at 10mph .... I bypassed mine completely and instead rely on the big orange lights in the dashboard and common sense to know when I'm locked.
Uhh, seems you may be confused on the operation of the diffs. They have a factory setting that keeps them from being activated above 10mph, but once activated they will stay activated, even at speeds faster than 10mph . You can disable the 10mph activation feature as you have done, but the benefit of the 10 mph activation limit is to keep curious passengers or the driver trying to find another switch from poking the button at higher speeds and sending the vehicle out of control or depositing parts of the TC and diffs onto the highway.
Unread 02-15-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
55willystruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n
Uhh, seems you may be confused on the operation of the diffs. They have a factory setting that keeps them from being activated above 10mph, but once activated they will stay activated, even at speeds faster than 10mph

This is correct. From the factory, the lockers have safety's built in that prevent engagement above 10mph, and will dis-engage at above 45mph-supposedly. Jumping pins 1&4 retain factory safety parameters, so that in 4-low, you still need to be going under 10mph to engage, and they will still (supposedly) cut out at over 45mph. I installed a separate switch in my rig so that with my "safety" switch, lockers can only be engaged in low range, just like factory. However, once I turn "on" my safety switch, I can then engage the rear locker in 2wd, or front and rear both in 4 high. This is especially useful in snow-or at least, that's where I've used it most.

HOWEVER, the original poster is not asking how to do the mod, he's instead asking for generic replacement switches like the factory uses. So-have you checked your dealer? They are probably more expensive I would bet. I got a replacement factory locker switch from someplace called "Jeepsareus" or something similar I think??? I forget exactly what it's called. They had similar switches that looked basically like the factory switch, and fit the factory holes, but were "blank", or blacked out-as in no symbols on them. I'm sorry I forget the exact name of the place-perhaps somebody can make sense of who it is I'm referring too and be more useful than I.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
nicolas-eric
2006 TJ Wrangler 

one other question:

can i modify the swithes somehow? a friend wants to use the front locker without the rear locker.

thanks.
12.000 lbs Winch Synthetic Winch Line 4x 130W Hellas 4x 200W Hellas @ Lightbar E-Fan
Jeep TJ Runicon Pics www.timbercrawler.de
nicolas-eric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #9
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas-eric
one other question:

can i modify the swithes somehow? a friend wants to use the front locker without the rear locker.

thanks.
Yes, you can wire them independently with two switches. Here's a how-to (half way down the page): http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Rubi_2...ker_Defeat.htm
Unread 02-15-2007, 03:40 PM   #10
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck
HOWEVER, the original poster is not asking how to do the mod, he's instead asking for generic replacement switches like the factory uses.
The o.p. stated he wanted a switch because he was concerned that the lockers could be activated at the wrong time, and I was suggesting a method of bypassing the 4-lo only operation and still retaining the safety of not engaging above 10mph which would acheive his goal without using a switch. Hope this clarifies the intention of my post(s).
Unread 02-16-2007, 09:48 AM   #11
robert92679
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you, I appreciate the suggestions for Jeepareus and for the <10 mph by-pass.

I was actually considering wiring the switch to behave like stock in the off position, and activate the <10 mph in all ranges by-pass when on. That might be overkill, but I've already had more than one 'curious passenger' poke at the switch and say, "Axle Lock, what's this do?"

I haven't checked with the dealer, partly because they may not be too interested in helping me defeat their safety system, but also because my FSM says that the stock switches (rear defogger, washer, OD disable) are momentary switches that activate electronic relays in those systems. The by-pass switch is just SPST.
Unread 02-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #12
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

I doubt you'd have any problems with accidental engagement doing the 1-4 jumper. If someone did accidentally poke it below 10mph, you'd feel it immediately and could switch it right back. Also, it's only the cost of a paperclip and five minutes of your time.
Unread 09-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
oracle_man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

tried to do the mod this morning, but for some reason, center dash bazel will not pull out and up, as according to http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...pass/index.asp

Am I doing something wrong? The bezel will pull out about an inch or so, it just won't pull of or out any further. I might add that my dash and stereo are 100% stock in my 04 rubicon
oracle_man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
oracle_man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

nevermind. I got it. It was just a took quite a bit more force to get the lower part of the bezel to free up from the friction tabs.
Unread 09-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
oracle_man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle_man View Post
nevermind. I got it. It was just a took quite a bit more force to get the lower part of the bezel to free up from the friction tabs.
Works like a charm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.