Rubicon Locker Bypass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon Locker Bypass

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 01-11-2005, 09:14 PM   #1
wherndon
What the hell?

Rubicon Locker Bypass

I was just wondering how many Rubi owners has done this bypass?
edit: almost forgot the link http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...pass/index.asp
Since I drive in an area where there is lots of mud and water, I can definately see the advantage of having the lockers in 4WH.
Whattaya think?

'05 Rubi, Patriot Blue, RE SF, Antirock, Warn, Fabtech, Tomken

wherndon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2005, 09:17 PM   #2
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I did for a little while, but ended up shorting out my switch. I never bothered to redo it since I didn't actually use it that much. I try to stay out of the mud because I don't like cleaning much.
SlinkyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2005, 09:54 PM   #3
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Added to the FAQ.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2005, 10:02 PM   #4
rubi-soho

My .02, your just asking for trouble. I have a Rubicon 5 speed and have had to go through some mud-lakes while in TX and I just used 4th and 5th 4LO, the lockers work up to 45 mph then disengage. I think it would be unsafe to lock-up and go any faster than 45, while spinnin' wheels and Evil-Kniveling my way across a mud pit.. I'd rather just muscle my way through, avoid mud all together, or just see how it goes and winch out if needed. But I dont like mud anyway, I'll stick with rocks...they are a lot easier to clean off anyhow
rubi-soho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2005, 10:05 PM   #5
got4-Lo

sondslike if u mess up ur screwed

[URL]webwheeling.com[/URL]
got4-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2005, 10:11 PM   #6
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have not and do not plan to do this. Why? It is just not practical for me Right now my Rubicon is the best and never gets stuck... NOT. I just avoid the mud, and it would be useless on the rocks

If I lived in an area where there is a lot of mud and what not I would do it. Now say I am going to do the bypass. I would wire it so the lockers will only engauge under 10mph in either mode of 4wd. You DO NOT want to engauge any sort of locker going to fast. You are just asking for an axle to explode.
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2005, 10:19 PM   #7
rubi-soho

I agree with 87warrior, I'll never do this mod. and I have only had to use them a few times ( and probally didn't really need to ) but I have really needed them two times....to pull full-size chevys (IFS) out i wish I had pics...they were both stuck at the same spot and lucky for them I came around the corner and saw the poor chevy guys jacking and moving rocks.... they thanked me and turned around and went home.....haven't pulled a hummer yet....but hope i will soon....
rubi-soho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2005, 02:08 AM   #8
Rubicon it

I've done it and used it. But I only use it when I need to. No problems whatsoever. Been happy with it and it's just another mod that doesn't cost over 500 bucks.
Rubicon it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2005, 03:03 AM   #9
TJRubicon

I have also thought about doing something like this, but I had being able to select which locker was on or off in mind. I'd rather be able to just turn on the front locker in most situations I've been in that required them at all instead of both.

Are there any write ups on doing this?
BLUE JEEP CLUB MEMBER #128
TJRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2005, 09:02 AM   #10
PdXmAc

I've done this mod, and I have used it several times. Where you will find a great benefit is in deep snow. I was out snowmojeeping this past weekend, and got stuck 4 low was too low, couldnt get any momentum. And 4 high wasnt getting me there, but when I locked it up in 4 hi..I drove out of there like greased lightning! My buddys were amazed. You do have to be careful, and not abuse your new privledge, but it is definately a useful mod. All things in moderation boys....

"I feel alot more like I do now than I did before"

2005 SWB Rubicon
6-speed
PdXmAc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2005, 11:05 AM   #11
Rubicon it

Quote:
I've done this mod, and I have used it several times. Where you will find a great benefit is in deep snow. I was out snowmojeeping this past weekend, and got stuck 4 low was too low, couldnt get any momentum. And 4 high wasnt getting me there, but when I locked it up in 4 hi..I drove out of there like greased lightning! My buddys were amazed. You do have to be careful, and not abuse your new privledge, but it is definately a useful mod. All things in moderation boys....

Must of been up at TSF?
Rubicon it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2005, 12:08 PM   #12
KD5LEF

I have thought about doing it . But I want to know if I do it, will it void any warranty. More to the point - my electrical warranty. If so, I will wait.

3inch OME, JKS goodies, 1.25BL. 33x12.5 BFG KM2's
KD5LEF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #13
PdXmAc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon it
Must of been up at TSF?
Nope, up above Carson, WA, near Mt. St. Helens. lots of FUN!

2005 SWB Rubicon
6-speed
Unread 01-12-2005, 01:16 PM   #14
PdXmAc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5LEF
I have thought about doing it . But I want to know if I do it, will it void any warranty. More to the point - my electrical warranty. If so, I will wait.
You dont modify the wiring harness at all, and can be reversed without detection in 5 minutes. All you are doing is sliding wires into the back of the plug behind the lockerswitch. Just make a three-wire jumper out of 16ga wire and slide the wires in next to the appropriate wires in the pigtail. Worst case, if you are paranoid, take the 5 minutes and pull the pigtail out before you go to the dealer if you shoudl have warranty problems.

2005 SWB Rubicon
6-speed
Unread 01-12-2005, 07:28 PM   #15
wherndon
What the hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubi-soho
My .02, your just asking for trouble. I have a Rubicon 5 speed and have had to go through some mud-lakes while in TX and I just used 4th and 5th 4LO, the lockers work up to 45 mph then disengage. I think it would be unsafe to lock-up and go any faster than 45, while spinnin' wheels and Evil-Kniveling my way across a mud pit.. I'd rather just muscle my way through, avoid mud all together, or just see how it goes and winch out if needed. But I dont like mud anyway, I'll stick with rocks...they are a lot easier to clean off anyhow
Actually I wouldn't be interested in going fast. 45mph is too much for trail riding imho.
The kind of trail riding I usually do doesn't require 4wl too much, only a constant speed.
'05 Rubi, Patriot Blue, RE SF, Antirock, Warn, Fabtech, Tomken

wherndon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.