Rubicon Locker Air Pump question (how to wire your Rubicon air pump) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon Locker Air Pump question (how to wire your Rubicon air pump)

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-17-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Rubicon Locker Air Pump question (how to wire your Rubicon air pump)

Edit: Go to Post #21 on page two to see how I wired the pumps

I transplated Rubicon Axles under my YJ. I am in the process of hooking up an air source to the lockers. I have access to a set of the stock locker air pumps that come on the Rubicon. I know the lockers work on low pressure 6-8 psi.

I have two questions: (1) Do the air pumps themselves have a pressure switch that turns the pump off when the proper PSI is reached or is that controlled by computer?

(2) When the pumps are turned off, do they have an automatic pressure release valve or is that too handled by the computer?

Obviously I do not have the Rubicon computer so I am hoping the air pumps are self contained in that they have their own pressure switches, etc.

By the way: If you know the answers to these two questions, you know waaaayyy too much about Jeeps!

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
2fastlx

we put a rubicon front d44 in my buddy's tj, he had an arb in the rear. we used an arb pump and solenoid for the front, however we had to install a regulator to get the pressure down to around 5 psi for the ruby locker.
[CENTER][COLOR="Green"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #44[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[QUOTE]I couldn't really understand what you were saying or asking, but I think you need a bigger hammer.[/QUOTE]
2fastlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
greendozer

If you still have access to the donor jeep you should pull the little pumps off of it there really small probably 3" x 3" If I remember right thewre located on the skid plate by the oil pan and all the wiring it is not contolled by the computer. You are not the first to do this I have seen it on other forums I think Rubicon unlimite or Jeeps unlimited I can't remember. If you dont have access to the donor just use an air compressor regulator.
[QUOTE] JEEP - Just Empty Every Pocket[/QUOTE] 97' TJ 5.5 RE LA, 1" bl, 37" MTR, D-44's, chrome alloy axles, ARB's, Atlas II, Anti-rock, U-turn steering, full cage, custom bumpers and skids, Ramsey 9000
greendozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
cincytj

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler
I transplated Rubicon Axles under my YJ. I am in the process of hooking up an air source to the lockers. I have access to a set of the stock locker air pumps that come on the Rubicon. I know the lockers work on low pressure 6-8 psi.

I have two questions: (1) Do the air pumps themselves have a pressure switch that turns the pump off when the proper PSI is reached or is that controlled by computer?

(2) When the pumps are turned off, do they have an automatic pressure release valve or is that too handled by the computer?

Obviously I do not have the Rubicon computer so I am hoping the air pumps are self contained in that they have their own pressure switches, etc.

By the way: If you know the answers to these two questions, you know waaaayyy too much about Jeeps!

1. yes they are self regulated. they pump just as hard as they can (5 or 6 PSI) until the power is cut 2. then they just bleed down very quickly

I researched this to go the regulator route but a bad regulator = blown locker seals so I opted to use the rubi set.
knoblock rear bumper, OBA in process,
bestop tire carrier, 35-12.5-16 trXus MT's on MOABs with 1.25 spidertrax
Currie HD steering
Nth Degree 6" LA kit. Garvin Wilderness Rack w/hi-lift mnt
HEMI & 5spd Auto
cincytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincytj
1. yes they are self regulated. they pump just as hard as they can (5 or 6 PSI) until the power is cut 2. then they just bleed down very quickly

I researched this to go the regulator route but a bad regulator = blown locker seals so I opted to use the rubi set.
So basically if I hook them up with a separate switch for the front and the rear, when I turn one on, it will pressurize to 6-8 PSI and then turn itself off? Even if the power switch stays on?

Then when I turn the switch off the air is vented?

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Unread 04-17-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
loudog3114

They will pump til you turn them off.

A very KISS design; Keep It Simple Stupid.
loudog3114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2006, 08:42 PM   #7
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog3114

A very KISS design; Keep It Simple Stupid.
That seems nuts. What keeps it from building up too much pressure? I was going to mount them under my seat. Are they noisy?

My Jeep in the Snow

Quote:
Unread 04-17-2006, 08:50 PM   #8
cincytj

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler
That seems nuts. What keeps it from building up too much pressure? I was going to mount them under my seat. Are they noisy?

the motors cant push any harder than 5-6 psi. when you have a leak or a bad pump you hear them pump one or two beats every so often othwise they stop. When you turn off the switch they release. You can just hook 12v through a relay for front and back independant. Thats what I did on mine.
Currie HD steering
HEMI & 5spd Auto
Unread 04-17-2006, 08:52 PM   #9
cincytj

I moved mine under the hood here:
File Type: jpg pumps-s.JPG (43.1 KB, 54 views)
Currie HD steering
HEMI & 5spd Auto
Unread 04-17-2006, 09:00 PM   #10
cjflyrod25
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Rubi locker axle pumps...

Did a transplant to my TJ, any good sources for alternative pressure sources ?? Tempted to try the air tank & regulator method with a 8 PSI blow-off, have not located any yet...thx
cjflyrod25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2006, 09:46 PM   #11
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the motors cant push any harder than 5-6 psi. when you have a leak or a bad pump you hear them pump one or two beats every so often othwise they stop. When you turn off the switch they release. You can just hook 12v through a relay for front and back independant. Thats what I did on mine.
OK. That is what I will do. From what you are saying it sounds like they "turn off" simply because they can't push anymore pressure into the line after 6 psi.

My Jeep in the Snow

Quote:
Unread 04-17-2006, 09:46 PM   #12
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I moved mine under the hood here:
Thanks for the picture!

My Jeep in the Snow

Quote:
Unread 04-18-2006, 06:17 PM   #13
JerryC
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog3114
Sorry, that's not right. The pumps have a built in pressure switch.

Apply power with the air line disconnected and they will run continuously. Plug the air line and the pump will stop when the line is pressurized to ~5 psi.

This is a handy feature when troubleshooting. If your locker isn't working and the pump is running continuously, remove the line at the diff. If it doesn't shut off when you plug the line, the problem is upstream, in the line or the switch in the pump. If the pump shuts off, you have a problem at the fitting or inside the diff, most likely the cheesey air line from the fitting to the diaphragm. Otherwise it's the diaphragm that's bad.
JerryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 08:17 PM   #14
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryC
Sorry, that's not right. The pumps have a built in pressure switch.

Apply power with the air line disconnected and they will run continuously. Plug the air line and the pump will stop when the line is pressurized to ~5 psi.

This is a handy feature when troubleshooting. If your locker isn't working and the pump is running continuously, remove the line at the diff. If it doesn't shut off when you plug the line, the problem is upstream, in the line or the switch in the pump. If the pump shuts off, you have a problem at the fitting or inside the diff, most likely the cheesey air line from the fitting to the diaphragm. Otherwise it's the diaphragm that's bad.

Great. That is an even better set up. That is what I was hoping for.

My Jeep in the Snow

Quote:
Unread 10-12-2006, 07:12 AM   #15
tjrunner

Hey Paul, how did this end up working out?

I have installed a front Rubi D44 in my jeep. I wired up the factory pump and put a pressure gauge on it. It pumped up to beyond 10 psi but did not turn off. The gauge I used only went to 10 psi.

There are three wires coming from the pump. Red, pink, and black.
There are two wires coming from the differencial.

Can you give me a rundown of how you wired your up?

Thanks,
Eric B.
Rubicon 44 front w/factory air locker
8.8 rear w/full Detroit
5.13 gears, SYE, etc, etc, etc..........
tjrunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.