Rubicon: Lifted or not? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon: Lifted or not?

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
centerfireman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Rubicon: Lifted or not?

Hello: I know this is a rookie question...I am trying to find an unlifted Rubicon. What (and where) do I look to determine if the suspension or body has been lifted or modified? Thank you.

centerfireman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Its pretty obvious to see. Take a look at the difference here between a stock to a modified:

slightly modified:

WILLY348 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
stuntjumper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Many lifts come with tcase lowering bars, that would be a dead givaway. Some come with new LCA's and bumpstop extensions. Why unlifted?
stuntjumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Unlifted, Im assuming you want to install your own lift. Just ask the person selling if there are any modifications, such as lift etc.
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
OneLoud
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Measure from the ground to the bottom of the door. Somone should be able to give you a quick inch range within a few inches of where a stock Jeep sits. What size tires does the one you are looking at have?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pay-forward-1091342/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pay-forward-1091342/[/URL]
^Check this thread out!!!^

"What is this? It's my car, it's a Prius. It literally feels like I'm riding around in a vigina right now!"
OneLoud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For suspension lifts: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fa...7/#post6077636

For body lifts:

Without -- http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/PA-BL/BL-02.jpg
With -- http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/PA-BL/BL-06.jpg
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
stuntjumper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDAVE View Post
Unlifted, Im assuming you want to install your own lift. Just ask the person selling if there are any modifications, such as lift etc.
Even if they want to install their own lift, you can just replace the existing lift with what they want.
stuntjumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
Rubicon_Rob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

19.5" ground to the bottom of the diamond plate rocker guard should be stock height, plus or minus a half inch.

Look at the frame inside the rear wheel well, if there is any gap it has a body lift.

After you look at a couple of them you can spot a modified one pretty easy as stated before.
Rubicon_Rob04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I can't stand driving a stock TJ... way to stiff and they handle like crap compared to a properly modified, Lifted TJ. Why would you wanna go around a corner with one of the front tires off the ground anyhow?

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #10
lukesdp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Great idea to buy an unlifted Jeep. I bought mine in pretty much new condition with 18K miles. Some Florida resident gave it up without ever taking it off-road. Can't blame him/her, not a great choice if you do not use it as intended.

As far as identifying a lifted Jeep... I would just look for signs of (ab)use, basically at the chassis. Scratched differentials, skid-plates, bracketry, or even bent items are a dead give away. If a Jeep was lifted and not off-roaded I do not see a reason to not buy it. I know that I for one would not be interested in my Jeep in the condition it is now.
You can always replace a lift if you want to put one in.
lukesdp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 11:09 PM   #11
Brazos609
2005 LJ Wrangler 

We just bought a completely stock 05 Unlimited because for one I want to make changes my way and if it is stock it is much more likely to have less wear and tear.
Brazos609 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.