Rubicon Front LSD? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon Front LSD?

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle Truss

Unread 07-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
SantaAnaSlim
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Rubicon Front LSD?

Is the Rubicon FRONT differential a limited slip? I know the rear is, but I wasn't sure about the front. I put in a set of Rubicon axles in my TJ a year ago or so and everything's fine. I did notice that when making turns the tires tend to chirp. I know it's not the lockers being engaged, because when they're engaged you KNOW IT. It drives and turns smooth otherwise, just a little chirpy.

I only bring this up now because I noticed my front tires are wearing pretty fast. They are 35x12x15 Goodyear MTRs and I don't have a problem getting new ones, but I don't want them to wear fast if there's some other problem I'm not seeing.

Thanks,
Slim

SantaAnaSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The front is not a limited slip. Jerry Bransford (and others) have mentioned that since it is not, it is actually a bit stronger than the rear.

Check your tire wear pattern and see what's going on with it. You shouldn't have chirping, I think...mine doesn't chirp at all.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
SantaAnaSlim
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That's the funny thing. I brought the chirping up a year ago and half the people said it was normal, the other half said they don't have any chirping. I figured because of the large tires and the short wheel base it wasn't a big deal.

There's no alignment to speak of on a solid axle. They're both worn more on the outer section. Though it's not like there's any adjustment for that. What would even cause that? I figured it's just cause that's where the tire rides when turning and the chirping is obviously the tires dragging and wearing down faster.

I wish I knew WHY they chirped. If I flip my locker switch, you KNOW the lockers are engaged. It doesn't want to turn, it'll buck and it'll make some NOISE. My noise is just like tires squeaking you go around a corner. I should make a video.
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
cragrat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

would you consider yourself a speedy driver? if so it migt be the way you drive. ie taking sharp turns in parking lots.
cragrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
SantaAnaSlim
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cragrat View Post
would you consider yourself a speedy driver? if so it migt be the way you drive. ie taking sharp turns in parking lots.
That's probably part of the cause. I honestly didn't think there was anything was WRONG. It doesn't feel weird, it's just the sound, though I've noticed my front tires are wearing a lot faster than the rears, which lead to think perhaps there's something I'm missing. If it's all just because of my leadfoot then I'm ok knowing that's the issue. I just wanted to make sure there isn't something else that COULD be the issue, since I know it's not the locker engaged.
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Our rubicon didnt do that. And like you said, when the lockers were on, YOU KNEW IT.
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaAnaSlim View Post
There's no alignment to speak of on a solid axle.
You mean beyond its normal toe-in, caster, and camber angles that are adjustable? The toe-in is adjustable by simply rotating the tie rod, the camber angle does require aftermarket adjustable ball joints but it is adjustable, and the caster angle is adjustable with adjustable length control arms or the cam bolts that were on early TJ axles.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
SantaAnaSlim
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
You mean beyond its normal toe-in, caster, and camber angles that are adjustable? The toe-in is adjustable by simply rotating the tie rod, the camber angle does require aftermarket adjustable ball joints but it is adjustable, and the caster angle is adjustable with adjustable length control arms or the cam bolts that were on early TJ axles.
Haha... yes, other than those adjustments. I was referring to the camber, which in my case is still the factory ball joints, and I, perhaps wrongly, assumed that that would be the only thing effecting outer edge wear on the tires. Would toe-in effect the wear of the outer edges? Then again, could caster effect that sort of wear?
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Caster would not cause that type of wear but certainly a bad toe-in could. A bad toe-in adjustment is probably most responsible for accelerated tire wear.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

X2 on the toe-in adjustment causing the wear. Take it and get it aligned.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
SantaAnaSlim
2001 TJ Wrangler 

While I have everyone's attention, not to jack my own thread, but is there any reason I shouldn't use different tires on the front, provided they are the same size? (35x12.5x15 just like the rears) I have a friend with a bunch of slightly used Mickey Thompsons that he's selling for cheap, though I currently have Goodyears. 35" tires aren't cheap and since I use this MOSTLY for offroading, I don't really care too much how it looks or drives on the highway, so much as it won't be a problem. I don't want to align it with worn tires, and I didn't want to spend 500+ bucks on new tires only to tear them up on the trails.
Unread 07-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
SantaAnaSlim
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I just thought I'd post this little video of me taking a turn from a stop. This is under acceleration, but it's not like I'm drifting around the corner.

YouTube - Jeep Tire Chirping
Unread 09-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #13
SantaAnaSlim
2001 TJ Wrangler 

FYI to those that are interested, my TOE IN was all jacked up. I got some new tires and had it aligned and they said the toe was really out of whack. It's actually my fault. I never thought about getting an alignment when I swapped out the axle. I kept all the linkage attached, so I never thought about aligning it. Though looking back, the original axles probably had stock tires which are a smaller diameter, which would have a different toe.

Tags
lsd , limited slip , rubicon , d44 , dana 44 , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.