Rubicon front axle hub conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon front axle hub conversion

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Reply
Unread 09-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
plowe
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Camas, WA
Posts: 159
Rubicon front axle hub conversion

I'm trying to find manual locking hubs for my 04 Rubicon, and have had no luck. Is it because of the locker? What gives? Anybody got any suggestions or ideas?

plowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
ej's tj
Member
 
ej's tj's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Fairfax County, Virginia
Posts: 159
What hubs?

TJ's do not have any type of disconnect between the axle and the wheel. When you are in 2wd the front drive shaft is diconnected from engine power at the t-case but it is still spinning when you drive because the axles are connected to the wheel/hub. To my knowledge there is not a hub conversion of any kind for a TJ with out changing a good deal of other things. I believe there may be something from Warn but usually the only mod to the front axle in this respect is heavier duty axle shafts.....hope this helps
__________________
2005 Unlimited Rubicon bright red, wet okole, 2 1/2" (more like 3"+) HD OME 1 1/4" JKS BL, JKS Discos, 1" JKS MML,28575R16 BFG MTs, Custom HD rear bumper, 2 year old Akita,
9500 lb. milemarker winch, kilby gas tank skid, home made rear bumper and tire carrier, lite dot taillights, more to come!!!!!!


Integrity is a rare find!
ej's tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowe
I'm trying to find manual locking hubs for my 04 Rubicon, and have had no luck. Is it because of the locker? What gives? Anybody got any suggestions or ideas?
Why do you want a hub conversion?
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #4
cjheap
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: h-town
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Why do you want a hub conversion?
better fuel mileage
servicable bearings
D44 outer shafts
less wear on front axle parts

the Warn kit runs $1100 but if you need to replace your unit bearings anyway, go for it.
cjheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
plowe
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Camas, WA
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej's tj
TJ's do not have any type of disconnect between the axle and the wheel. When you are in 2wd the front drive shaft is diconnected from engine power at the t-case but it is still spinning when you drive because the axles are connected to the wheel/hub. To my knowledge there is not a hub conversion of any kind for a TJ with out changing a good deal of other things. I believe there may be something from Warn but usually the only mod to the front axle in this respect is heavier duty axle shafts.....hope this helps
I realize they don't, and I know how everything works They make a kit, but it says not for Rubicon and I was wondering why. I tried calling the manuf. but could not get any info as to why, other than D44 axle and wanted to change them out for the less wear, better mileage attributes
plowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
The Mean Fish
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northern Mexico (I'm not in Mexico idiots)
Posts: 4,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjheap
better fuel mileage
servicable bearings
D44 outer shafts
less wear on front axle parts

the Warn kit runs $1100 but if you need to replace your unit bearings anyway, go for it.
You won't get better fuel mileage with a front hub conversion kit.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 CJ7 View Post
The Mean Fish you seem to hate big business and love big government. My guess is you are drinking the coolaid that Pelosie, Reid, Barny Frank, Biden, and Obama are serving.
The Mean Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 08:28 AM   #7
[ITA]Tsunami
Italian Wheeler in Mexico
 
[ITA]Tsunami's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tampico, MEXICO
Posts: 1,135
X2 you wont get any better mileage with a hub. That's just a jeeper legend .
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm
However it is a strange twist in the cosmic thread that will not allow the driver of a Jeep that has experienced air bag deployment off-road to consume beef for 48 hours after the event. You can consume chicken, pork, turkey, or emu.
[ITA]Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjheap
better fuel mileage
You may get better mileage, but the increase is so small that a run down the freeway at 65 will do better due to the massive frontal area and poor aerodynamics of the Jeep.

Quote:
servicable bearings
Your bearings are serviceable now. Remove the stub shaft nut and the 3 knuckle side bolts and pop in a new one.

Quote:
D44 outer shafts
Unless you get the 5.5 hub kit, you aren't getting a 44 outer and if you do, then you have to change rims.
Quote:
less wear on front axle parts
Argueably that might be true, but there are thousands who run without the kit and suffer no ill effects.

Quote:
the Warn kit runs $1100 but if you need to replace your unit bearings anyway, go for it.
How does 200 dollars worth of unitbearings play into this?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of hub kits and have and have had many of of Warn's very fine products, but you need to get one for the right reasons. That would be the ability to unlock the hubs to get home if you take out a driveshaft and stronger much higher quality axle shafts.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
cjheap
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: h-town
Posts: 302
Funny how a bunch of people who have no experience with the conversion are EXPERTS

1st, unlocking the hubs so that you are not turning the axle shafts, diff and front drive shaft reduces friction enough to gain 1-2 MPG, that is my experience. BTW, when the vacume hubs on my superduty failed and would not unlock, the inverse happened and the mileage dropped. Installed warn hubs and mileage went back up.

The bearings are larger and stronger than the POS unit bearings

The outers are the same size and strength as D44 alloy outers

And I am working on a junkyard conversion now that will be more reasonable and will be 5 x5.5 since my alloy rear axles are dual pattern. That will be much more convienent for me since I have multiple sets of beadlocks and tires for my CJ.



And for fitting the Rubi, it should since a Rubi 44 used D30 outer assemblies

Last edited by cjheap; 09-29-2007 at 10:13 PM..
cjheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 10:18 PM   #10
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand
 
ErikJordan's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lakewood CA
Posts: 5,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjheap
Funny how a bunch of people who have no experience with the conversion are EXPERTS

1st, unlocking the hubs so that you are not turning the axle shafts, diff and front drive shaft reduces friction enough to gain 1-2 MPG, that is my experience. BTW, when the vacume hubs on my superduty failed and would not unlock, the inverse happened and the mileage dropped. Installed warn hubs and mileage went back up.

The bearings are larger and stronger than the POS unit bearings

The outers are the same size and strength as D44 alloy outers

And I am working on a junkyard conversion now that will be more reasonable and will be 5 x5.5 since my alloy rear axles are dual pattern. That will be much more convienent for me since I have multiple sets of beadlocks and tires for my CJ.



And for fitting the Rubi, it should since a Rubi 44 used D30 outer assemblies
who are you responding to?
__________________
___________________________________________


What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 11:45 PM   #11
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjheap
Funny how a bunch of people who have no experience with the conversion are EXPERTS

1st, unlocking the hubs so that you are not turning the axle shafts, diff and front drive shaft reduces friction enough to gain 1-2 MPG, that is my experience. BTW, when the vacume hubs on my superduty failed and would not unlock, the inverse happened and the mileage dropped. Installed warn hubs and mileage went back up.
You would be the rare exception in a TJ to get 2 miles more per gallon.

Quote:
The bearings are larger and stronger than the POS unit bearings
Bearing assemblies that typically go 100,000 miles as the norm, and have never broken yet that I've ever seen anyone post are Piles of Poo? Try again.

Quote:
The outers are the same size and strength as D44 alloy outers
Can you be more specific? Which outers are the same size and strength as which Dana 44 alloy outers?

Quote:
And I am working on a junkyard conversion now that will be more reasonable and will be 5 x5.5 since my alloy rear axles are dual pattern. That will be much more convienent for me since I have multiple sets of beadlocks and tires for my CJ.



And for fitting the Rubi, it should since a Rubi 44 used D30 outer assemblies
Junkyarded 5.5 stuff isn't hard. It's the 4.5 stuff that gets harder to do out of the JY.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #12
ej's tj
Member
 
ej's tj's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Fairfax County, Virginia
Posts: 159
I realize they don't, and I know how everything works

Oh, sorry, I did not realize your level of knowledge.....just trying to help out....have a nice day......
__________________
2005 Unlimited Rubicon bright red, wet okole, 2 1/2" (more like 3"+) HD OME 1 1/4" JKS BL, JKS Discos, 1" JKS MML,28575R16 BFG MTs, Custom HD rear bumper, 2 year old Akita,
9500 lb. milemarker winch, kilby gas tank skid, home made rear bumper and tire carrier, lite dot taillights, more to come!!!!!!


Integrity is a rare find!
ej's tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.