Rubicon front axle hub conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon front axle hub conversion

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 09-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
plowe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rubicon front axle hub conversion

I'm trying to find manual locking hubs for my 04 Rubicon, and have had no luck. Is it because of the locker? What gives? Anybody got any suggestions or ideas?

plowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
ej's tj

2005 LJ Wrangler 

What hubs?

TJ's do not have any type of disconnect between the axle and the wheel. When you are in 2wd the front drive shaft is diconnected from engine power at the t-case but it is still spinning when you drive because the axles are connected to the wheel/hub. To my knowledge there is not a hub conversion of any kind for a TJ with out changing a good deal of other things. I believe there may be something from Warn but usually the only mod to the front axle in this respect is heavier duty axle shafts.....hope this helps

Integrity is a rare find!
ej's tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowe
I'm trying to find manual locking hubs for my 04 Rubicon, and have had no luck. Is it because of the locker? What gives? Anybody got any suggestions or ideas?
Why do you want a hub conversion?
Unread 09-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #4
cjheap
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Why do you want a hub conversion?
better fuel mileage
servicable bearings
D44 outer shafts
less wear on front axle parts

the Warn kit runs $1100 but if you need to replace your unit bearings anyway, go for it.
cjheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
plowe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej's tj
TJ's do not have any type of disconnect between the axle and the wheel. When you are in 2wd the front drive shaft is diconnected from engine power at the t-case but it is still spinning when you drive because the axles are connected to the wheel/hub. To my knowledge there is not a hub conversion of any kind for a TJ with out changing a good deal of other things. I believe there may be something from Warn but usually the only mod to the front axle in this respect is heavier duty axle shafts.....hope this helps
I realize they don't, and I know how everything works They make a kit, but it says not for Rubicon and I was wondering why. I tried calling the manuf. but could not get any info as to why, other than D44 axle and wanted to change them out for the less wear, better mileage attributes
plowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjheap
better fuel mileage
servicable bearings
D44 outer shafts

the Warn kit runs $1100 but if you need to replace your unit bearings anyway, go for it.
You won't get better fuel mileage with a front hub conversion kit.
The Mean Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 08:28 AM   #7
[ITA]Tsunami
Italian Wheeler in Mexico

2006 TJ Wrangler 

X2 you wont get any better mileage with a hub. That's just a jeeper legend .
However it is a strange twist in the cosmic thread that will not allow the driver of a Jeep that has experienced air bag deployment off-road to consume beef for 48 hours after the event. You can consume chicken, pork, turkey, or emu.
[ITA]Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
better fuel mileage
You may get better mileage, but the increase is so small that a run down the freeway at 65 will do better due to the massive frontal area and poor aerodynamics of the Jeep.

Quote:
servicable bearings
Your bearings are serviceable now. Remove the stub shaft nut and the 3 knuckle side bolts and pop in a new one.

Quote:
D44 outer shafts
Unless you get the 5.5 hub kit, you aren't getting a 44 outer and if you do, then you have to change rims.
Quote:
Argueably that might be true, but there are thousands who run without the kit and suffer no ill effects.

Quote:
How does 200 dollars worth of unitbearings play into this?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of hub kits and have and have had many of of Warn's very fine products, but you need to get one for the right reasons. That would be the ability to unlock the hubs to get home if you take out a driveshaft and stronger much higher quality axle shafts.
Unread 09-29-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
cjheap
1985 CJ7 

Funny how a bunch of people who have no experience with the conversion are EXPERTS

1st, unlocking the hubs so that you are not turning the axle shafts, diff and front drive shaft reduces friction enough to gain 1-2 MPG, that is my experience. BTW, when the vacume hubs on my superduty failed and would not unlock, the inverse happened and the mileage dropped. Installed warn hubs and mileage went back up.

The bearings are larger and stronger than the POS unit bearings

The outers are the same size and strength as D44 alloy outers

And I am working on a junkyard conversion now that will be more reasonable and will be 5 x5.5 since my alloy rear axles are dual pattern. That will be much more convienent for me since I have multiple sets of beadlocks and tires for my CJ.

And for fitting the Rubi, it should since a Rubi 44 used D30 outer assemblies

Last edited by cjheap; 09-29-2007 at 10:13 PM..
cjheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 10:18 PM   #10
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Funny how a bunch of people who have no experience with the conversion are EXPERTS

1st, unlocking the hubs so that you are not turning the axle shafts, diff and front drive shaft reduces friction enough to gain 1-2 MPG, that is my experience. BTW, when the vacume hubs on my superduty failed and would not unlock, the inverse happened and the mileage dropped. Installed warn hubs and mileage went back up.

And I am working on a junkyard conversion now that will be more reasonable and will be 5 x5.5 since my alloy rear axles are dual pattern. That will be much more convienent for me since I have multiple sets of beadlocks and tires for my CJ.

who are you responding to?

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 11:45 PM   #11
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

You would be the rare exception in a TJ to get 2 miles more per gallon.

Quote:
Bearing assemblies that typically go 100,000 miles as the norm, and have never broken yet that I've ever seen anyone post are Piles of Poo? Try again.

Quote:
Can you be more specific? Which outers are the same size and strength as which Dana 44 alloy outers?

Quote:

Junkyarded 5.5 stuff isn't hard. It's the 4.5 stuff that gets harder to do out of the JY.
Unread 09-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #12
ej's tj

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I realize they don't, and I know how everything works

Oh, sorry, I did not realize your level of knowledge.....just trying to help out....have a nice day......

Integrity is a rare find!
ej's tj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.