Rubicon Flare Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon Flare Question

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rubicon Flare Question

Do any of you know if there are any years Rubicons came with standard size flares? Meaning they are not the wider version everyone speaks of.

Thanks
Tyler

35sUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
PackMan

Location: Home of the Super Bowl XLI Champion Indianapolis Colts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33'sUnlimited
Do any of you know if there are any years Rubicons came with standard size flares? Meaning they are not the wider version everyone speaks of.

Thanks
Tyler
Nope, all TJ Rubicons came with the larger flares to accommodate the 245-75/16 tires.
[SIZE="1"][I]OME 2.5" (930 front, 942 rear), Daystar 3/4" front spacers, OME N66/N67 shocks, JKS adj track bars, JKS BBL, JKS BMML, really cool toddler booster seats,
Jeeperman bumpers and rockers, IPF 968, Cobra 75WX CB, sPod switches, Cheerios under the rear seat, Skid Row engine and steering box, MORE steering
shaft lift, crayon marks on the sport bar, Napa SC2928 steering stabilzer, Warn xd9000i winch, something that smells bad on the passenger side rear
fender that a child probably had something to do with, HiLift jack, a .357 Magnum S&W, and an Indianapolis Colts SBXLI World Champion window sticker. [/I][/SIZE]
PackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the quick reply. Just wanted to make sure as I bought some on e-bay, and they are standard size. They were being sold as Rubicon flares. I just got a confirmation from the Jeeep parts dealer also. As it ends up the guy is going to do a full refund so it is all good.

Thanks again,
Tyler
Unread 05-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Mick VT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

kinda one of the problems with ebay - everything gets listed as a "rubicon" part even when it isnt - unknowing sellers just assume that they are the same.
Mick VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
tales

Rubicon tires

Yes, since the topic of Rubicon flares poped up, along with tire size. How would the Rubicon tire look on a TJ Sport? Would I have to get new rims or would the Rubicon tire fit on my Sport rims, I have the standard 4.0 with I believe the larger size tires, not sure.
tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
Bigbob

The Rubicons use a 16" wheel and the tires are 10 PLY E range load rating brutes. You'd be better to get a 15" tire in a more sensible 6 ply C range load rating as they would give a better ride.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
luk4mud
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Were those the falres that sold for about $60 last week? I tried to bid on them too. Glad to hear the seller is taking care of you.
I did something like this a while back for my corolla. I poked a hole into the ducting and ran a hose to stick into my shorts. It didnt work thew best cause I never plugged up the vents, but it did help.
luk4mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
tales

Rubicon tires

Yes, I understand but does the Rubicon ride rougher then a reg. tread tire, which comes standard on the Sport. In another words if I were to change tires to a more aggresive tread, like the Rubicon tire, would the ride be rougher on my Sport?
Unread 05-12-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennylou1
Were those the falres that sold for about $60 last week? I tried to bid on them too. Glad to hear the seller is taking care of you.
Yes, got 'em for like $62.00. I even ask the guy before I bid as I was skeptical since it had the extensions. He said they came off his Rubicon. Anyhow, he made good on it. They are on the way back to him, and he already paypal'd me the original plus all shipping so I can't really say anything bad.

Tyler
Unread 05-12-2007, 12:13 PM   #10
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tales
Yes, I understand but does the Rubicon ride rougher then a reg. tread tire, which comes standard on the Sport. In another words if I were to change tires to a more aggresive tread, like the Rubicon tire, would the ride be rougher on my Sport?

"but does the Rubicon ride rougher then a reg. tread"

I presume you mean the stock Rubicon tire?

Yes, the stock Rubicon MTR does ride ride rougher because of the tires. The 10 ply MTR's ride a lot rougher than the GSA's or whatever comes on a Sport. It's not the tread, it's the carcass. A street tire or A/T tire in 10 ply will ride rougher than a 6 ply tire. A mud type tread does not ride rougher, it may be noisier, but will ride as smooth as a street tire in the same load rating. Some tread types, like the M/T Baja can be felt at low speeds and some aggressive tread tires are harder to balance. But they can ride very smooth. I swapped to 33/12:50/15 MTR 6 ply tires and they ride much smoother than the 31" 10 ply MTR "Rubicon"tires.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 05-14-2007, 12:23 PM   #11
luk4mud
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33'sUnlimited
Yes, got 'em for like $62.00. I even ask the guy before I bid as I was skeptical since it had the extensions. He said they came off his Rubicon. Anyhow, he made good on it. They are on the way back to him, and he already paypal'd me the original plus all shipping so I can't really say anything bad.

Tyler
I guesss I'll be careful on ebay looking at "rubicon" flares for awhile .... or I'll end up buying his. What was the seller's name?
I did something like this a while back for my corolla. I poked a hole into the ducting and ran a hose to stick into my shorts. It didnt work thew best cause I never plugged up the vents, but it did help.
luk4mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 12:46 PM   #12
tales

Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob
"but does the Rubicon ride rougher then a reg. tread"

I presume you mean the stock Rubicon tire?

Yes, the stock Rubicon MTR does ride ride rougher because of the tires. The 10 ply MTR's ride a lot rougher than the GSA's or whatever comes on a Sport. It's not the tread, it's the carcass. A street tire or A/T tire in 10 ply will ride rougher than a 6 ply tire. A mud type tread does not ride rougher, it may be noisier, but will ride as smooth as a street tire in the same load rating. Some tread types, like the M/T Baja can be felt at low speeds and some aggressive tread tires are harder to balance. But they can ride very smooth. I swapped to 33/12:50/15 MTR 6 ply tires and they ride much smoother than the 31" 10 ply MTR "Rubicon"tires.
Unread 05-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #13
Zar
2006 LJ Wrangler 

FYI, i will be getting wider flares with the next two months. i just need to take the time to deicide on what to switch to.

i have an o6 LJ rubicon

if any of want to wait a little let me know, you can save me the trouble of selling them

any suggestions on who makes oem like flares but wider?
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 01:59 PM   #14
Bishop Creek
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar
FYI, i will be getting wider flares with the next two months. i just need to take the time to deicide on what to switch to.

i have an o6 LJ rubicon

if any of want to wait a little let me know, you can save me the trouble of selling them

Sent you a pm.
Unread 05-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #15
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar

i have an o6 LJ rubicon

A couple companies come to mind. Warn makes them in 6" and 7" units, but they are very pricey. Bestop makes a nice flare, but again, over $300.00.

Look at the EGR units at Quadratec. Or do a search for them. The price is right and most people who buy them like them.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12510_52_07.htm

And here is the Rugged Ridge. I don't know much about these, but for the price I don't see how you can go wrong.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12510_503_07.htm

I have never bought from Quadratec, I just used their site as a search. Bob
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.