rubicon express or teraflex??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rubicon express or teraflex???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
biggreen
1995 ZJ 

rubicon express or teraflex???

my dad and i were searching for a lift for his 99 tj and these two looked pretty good...which kit is a better buy?? i was looking at a 4.5" rubicon express superflex kit or the 4" teraflex kit...also what about shocks???

biggreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey neighbor, I'm going with the Rubicon express 4.5" superflex with 3.5" springs. Don't know anything about Teraflex.

If you decide to go with rubicon express let me know. My shop of choice in Ontario has great pricing on RE.

Good Luck.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My own recommendation between those two brands is Rubicon Express. I used to run Teraflex when they were about the only brand made for the then-new TJ when I bought it in '96 but I quickly lost faith in their junk within a few years. I even had a Teraflex sticker on my windshield before my personal feelings switched to feeling their designs are just crappy.... especially their REALLY crappy first-generation control arms that they still sell. They flex so poorly that those that try to use them on tough trails end up having problems like torn-off control arm mounts which happened to me personally. I'll never run more Tera junk. Of course all this is strictly my personal opinion.

What do I run now? Rubicon Express. And very happily so 99% of the time.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2009, 02:56 AM   #4
miguelitojeep97

RE x2

been tested through some SERIOUS conditions and really has held up quite well. An example of the punishment Jerry and I put it through:

you wont be disappointed with Rubicon express
1997 TJ 4.0 5 spd. rock track 4:1, 3.5 inch Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k, D44/30 locked with 4:88s, Vanco BIG BRAKES!!and more...
miguelitojeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

From my experience and what I've heard of other's experiences, RE is far superior to Teraflex.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
RE x2

been tested through some SERIOUS conditions and really has held up quite well. An example of the punishment Jerry and I put it through:

you wont be disappointed with Rubicon express
What trail is that? Is that up near Big Bear, like maybe John Bull?

Unread 04-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Tim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I used to run Teraflex when they were about the only brand made for the then-new TJ when I bought it in '96 but I quickly lost faith in their junk within a few years. I even had a Teraflex sticker on my windshield before my personal feelings switched to feeling their designs are just crappy.... especially their REALLY crappy first-generation control arms that they still sell.
i share the same experience with teraflex suspensions... i had one of their crappy long arm kits. just cause it costs less doesnt mean its going to be cheaper.

i have been systematically removing tera junk from my 97 jeep for years.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
miguelitojeep97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
What trail is that? Is that up near Big Bear, like maybe John Bull?
good ol' Rubicon trail
1997 TJ 4.0 5 spd. rock track 4:1, 3.5 inch Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k, D44/30 locked with 4:88s, Vanco BIG BRAKES!!and more...
Unread 04-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
good ol' Rubicon trail
Thanks, I'd love to do that trail some day. However, it'd be hard to convince the wife to go camping without showers/toilets and without her, she would have a fit if I took my rare vacation time to do the Rubicon without her. Oh well.

Unread 04-24-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
miguelitojeep97

showers: Buck Lake, Spider Lake, Rubicon Springs,
toilets: there are porta=poties out there, or wag bags

most definitely the most looked forward to trip of the YEAR!
Unread 04-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
biggreen
1995 ZJ 

thanks for all the suggestions...we decided on the rubicon express and it should be installed within the next week or so..just waiting for my brother to pick up his new jeep so we can actually work on my dads and get his going
biggreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.