Rubicon Diff Fluid Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon Diff Fluid Question

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
skinpin
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rubicon Diff Fluid Question

well - the more I read, the more confused I seem to get - Its an 04 Rubicon, I have both 80W90 and 75W140 here at my shop- what do you recommend?

skinpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

DC recommends synthetic 75W140 for the Rubicon per the user's manual.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
BlackAura
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just went through this myself, and I found a few posts that specifically said use 75W-140 synthetic for the Rubicon Dana 44's w/ lockers.

So rather than possibly damaging my Jeep, I decided to just accept the extra cost and put in the synthetic fluid. Seems to be running good so far (changed it on Sunday though, so it's only been in there for 2 days).

If you want sources I can point you to a few articles / posts regarding the fluids.
BlackAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
skinpin
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Also, when the covers are off, should you do any cleaning? like hose everything down with brake clean, or is fluid change enough?
Unread 07-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
BlackAura
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had to pull the front cover off because it was leaking (or I guess "seeping"). I quickly learned why:

Quote:
Didn't snap a "before" picture of the cover, but here's the diff itself:

The cover was really rusty at the bottom there as well. Thankfully most of the rust in the picture was on the old RTV liquid gasket, so the main case wasn't too bad.

After some cleanup:

The cover, after cleanup, you can still see some pitted areas where there was rust:

I've heard that some people will spray brake clean in...to be honest I didn't, just used a wire brush and some sandpaper to clean up the rusted areas that would seat up against the cover.

The back diff didn't have any issues, so I was lazy and didn't even pull the cover. Just drained the old fluid from the drain hole (on the right side of the diff at the bottom, when you're looking at the cover / fill hole) and put in the new stuff.
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
skinpin
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Black Aura - thanks for the info - I'm a service writer at a German car repair shop, so I know how critical fluid/processes are - fairly new to the Jeep world - we worked on land rovers for quite awhile - i'm kinda into using factory products/oem parts as much as possible, even though i know most of the stuff is quite generic anyways - im probably going to use a BG product/ their diff fluid (75/140) - its what bmw dealerships put in the 3 and 5 series M cars - although what i really hear is it doesnt make too much a difference..... i just want my **** to last - from what the maintenance records look like, my rubicon has 53k and no diff fluid change - doesnt seem to be offroaded though - no mud/etc inside the framerails - im pretty sure it wasnt much more than a daily driver before i bought it last week
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #7
BlackAura
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No problem, glad I could help! Congratulations on the purchase! I'm also a fairly new owner...I've only had my Rubicon for a month now, but I'm loving it so far. On that note, you may want to check into more information, or let other people chime in on this thread as well, I'm just going by the information I've researched myself (and I'm fairly new to this).

On the break-clean thing, I have heard of other people who will spray a lot in there, but I never did find out if that was only for the stock diffs. I was worried it may damage the lockers on the Rubicon, so I decided to just change it out.
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:53 AM   #8
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

According to my FSM it says for the Rubicon D44s 80w90. Or if towing 75W140 Synthetic.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
According to my FSM it says for the Rubicon D44s 80w90. Or if towing 75W140 Synthetic.
Did you look at the specs for the rear axle, or just the front?
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:39 AM   #10
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
Correct. As stated in the 2004 FSM. I believe the 2005 may state this different. I have both FSM's, I will check the 05 when I get home.

For the record, I run synthetic Mobil One front and rear. Just makes it easier.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #11
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm. In the 2005 FSM, it says 80w90 or 75W140 Synthetic, if towing, for Rubicon D44s for the front. For the rear Rubi D44, is only says 75W140 Synthetic.
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #12
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey dirt, that makes sense. I remember a slight difference between the 2 FSM's, I just couldn't remember the difference.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just buy the 75W140 synthetic so that it's the same, but the live axles in our Jeeps are not too picky so the fluid choice is not that critical as long as you use quality stuff and keep the junk/water out.

I only use brake cleaner if I'm taking stuff apart (I like to stay clean...) or if it's really nasty inside (only happens when i work on other peoples rigs ).

BTW Dirt, the I'd bet the diference in spec between the front and rear have to do with loads and forces on the gears. Every time the Jeep moves the rear diff is under stress. 95% of the time you're in 2WD so the front simply spins freely so it needs less protection. The service interval on the front and rear is the same even though the front fluid should last much longer. My rear fluid always smells/looks worse than the front fluid when I swap.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_j00 View Post
Hmm. In the 2005 FSM, it says 80w90 or 75W140 Synthetic, if towing, for Rubicon D44s for the front. For the rear Rubi D44, is only says 75W140 Synthetic.
The front diff's viscosity doesn't need to change for towing because the front axle is not engaged when towing. The Rubicon's rear diff's recommended viscosity is 80W-90 unless you are towing, then the recommended viscosity becomes 75W-140.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #15
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The Rubicon's rear diff's recommended viscosity is 80W-90 unless you are towing, then the recommended viscosity becomes 75W-140.
That's not what the 2005 FSM or user's manual says. Its says 75W140 synthetic regardless:
pages-2005_tj_wrangler.jpg   pages-2005_tj_fsm.jpg  

Tags
rubicon , differential , gear oil , recommendation , help , advice , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.