rubicon dana 44 front axle part number!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rubicon dana 44 front axle part number!!!

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
mustgooverit

rubicon dana 44 front axle part number!!!

So guys and gals but I amtrying to get a d44 under the front of my 1998 wrangler. Does anyone have the mopar factory part number of the 02-06 rubicon d44 front axle housing??? I have been surching like crazy and cant find it. I want to be able to go to the dealer with the part number and try to get a good deal on one!!! thanks!!!

mustgooverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

What benefit(s) are you looking to gain with the Rubicon D44 front axle?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgooverit View Post
So guys and gals but I amtrying to get a d44 under the front of my 1998 wrangler. Does anyone have the mopar factory part number of the 02-06 rubicon d44 front axle housing??? I have been surching like crazy and cant find it. I want to be able to go to the dealer with the part number and try to get a good deal on one!!! thanks!!!
the rubicon TJ front axle (from the factory) was probably discontinued when the JK came out.

and a good deal - HA!

you do realize the D30 is very closely related to the TJ D44 front right? Same outter axle shafts, same knuckles, same ball joints, same brakes, only difference is at the pumpkin: inner shafts and ring/pinion gears.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
you do realize the D30 is very closely related to the TJ D44 front right? Same outter axle shafts, same knuckles, same ball joints, same brakes, only difference is at the pumpkin: inner shafts and ring/pinion gears.
Which is exactly why I asked my question above.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Which is exactly why I asked my question above.
the OP clearly doesn't realize that they are almost the same axle.
Unread 10-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'll have to agree with the other guys here... the Rubicon D44 isn't worth the money to swap in.

4WheelDriveHardware and Quadratec have direct bolt-in D44 assemblies available that are all-around stronger, and cheaper than a factory TJ D44 from Mopar. Another good option I've seen a lot of talk about lately (if you have fab skills) is to swap in a JK D44. Even stronger yet, wider, cross-over style steering, and they're relatively cheap even direct from Mopar.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
mustgooverit

I know that the housing is pretty comparable to the dana 30. I am going to be running 37s and want the strength of the bigger dana 44 ring and pinion. All I want is the bare housing with no internals. I have heard of people getting just the housing from jeep for just under $600. I plan on building it myself and fabbing my own truss and everything. The jeep parts people are dumb and keep giving me d30 part numbers. I just want to go to them with the right part number. I did think about the jk axle from jeep but I dont want to mess with all of the steering changes, track bar, lug pattern and also lets not forget the 4" or so track width difference of it.
mustgooverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
Zennashton
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You can find what your looking for here. http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/...Code=Wrangler1 Looks like $799 for the front dana housing.
Zennashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know that the housing is pretty comparable to the dana 30. I am going to be running 37s and want the strength of the bigger dana 44 ring and pinion. All I want is the bare housing with no internals. I have heard of people getting just the housing from jeep for just under $600. I plan on building it myself and fabbing my own truss and everything. The jeep parts people are dumb and keep giving me d30 part numbers. I just want to go to them with the right part number. I did think about the jk axle from jeep but I dont want to mess with all of the steering changes, track bar, lug pattern and also lets not forget the 4" or so track width difference of it.
the 4" difference would be a good thing...means you get a more stable rig, especially when on 37s.

personally, i'd search for HPD44 / 9" from a 78-79 Ford before I'd swap in a Rubi D44.
Unread 10-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I certainly didn't forget about the differences... but I count them as reasons FOR the JK version. Well, besides the lug-pattern anyway.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #11
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

if you search my threads, the D44 wont hold up to hard abuse with 37s

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2008, 06:48 AM   #12
sportcoupe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The parts list for 2006 has two numbers for LHD front axle housings and one part number for RHD front axle hosing. It doesn't say which one is a D35 or D44. Here's the two numbers for the LHD housings.

4864840ab
5083660ab

Further research says the 4864840AB is for '97-02 TJ's and the 5083660AB number is for '03-04 w/Trulok.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #13
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, 5083660AB is the part number for the 2006 D44 housing alone.

5083662AC is the part number for the 2006 D44 housing, 4.10 gears, and trulock.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2008, 08:03 AM   #14
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
For 37" tires, the ring and pinion is not the problem.

Its the ball joints and hub bearings that will give you problems.

The D44 will not upgrade either of these weak links. If you want to upgrade the front axle, you need to step up to a D60, 9", or D60/9" hybrid.

The only good reason to swap in a D44 front is so you can gear lower than 4.88.

A cheap ring and pinion strength upgrade is to swap in a high pinion D30 from an XJ. It will bolt right up and it gives you a 20-30% stronger ring and pinion because it rides on the stronger drive side of the gear set.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #15
Kip03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I know it's been 2 years since last post but I'd like to see where you can get a bare bones front TJ rubicon D44 assembly for $600. I really want to do a 5.13 gear D44 combo with the rear locker up front and rear but it's hard finding decent prices!
2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition fully loaded 5 speed manual. Brown dog 1" motor mounts, Currie 1" body lift, jks front disconnects, 31" Goodyear Wrangler duratracs, 8 adjustable control arms, Advance Adapters HD SYE, Tom woods premium driveshaft, driver & passenger heated seats
Kip03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.