Rubicon D44 Rear Axle Into TJ Sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubicon D44 Rear Axle Into TJ Sport

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 02-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
shay4au
2010 JK Wrangler 

Rubicon D44 Rear Axle Into TJ Sport

I will soon be swapping out my D35 rear axle in my '01 Sport with a Rubicon D44 that I'm buying from a friend. Besides having to get a 1310/1330 U-Joint and possibly having to shorten the driveshaft, does anyone know of any other issues that could arise? In particular, will I have any transfer case issues? It's my understanding that the Rubicons have different transfer cases so I was just curious. I've read where this thing should bolt right in with the possible DS problem, but nothing else other than possibly a new e-brake cable. Just trying to make sure I'm aware of all potential "surprises" before getting started! What about the difference in brakes from these models? Will this require new axle shafts or should it be good to go as-is? Any input will be appreciated!!!! Lift: 2.5" OME with 3/4" spacers and JKS 1.25" BL. Just throwing that out there. Thanks!

shay4au is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Fett
Mechanically Declined

1999 TJ Wrangler 

It won't work...just give me the D44 since it's junk to you now.

Just kidding. Bump to top because I'm interested in knowing these answers too. Your D35 has drum and the D44 should be disk. I wonder if you'll need different brake lines? The shafts should be just fine though.

"When you honestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do". www.despair.com
|_
|T|
Fett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i belive the rubicons transfer case has a fixed yoke out put, if you dont have a SYE on your jeep now then you will have issue with the drive shaft.
jaminb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Are you going to re-gear your front D30 to 4.10? Because 4 wheel drive isnt going to work unless your axles are geared the same

Other than the issue with the driveshaft and e-brake cables it is my understanding that the axle will bolt right up. You just have to take care of gearing your front axle to match
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shay4au View Post
I will soon be swapping out my D35 rear axle in my '01 Sport with a Rubicon D44 that I'm buying from a friend. Besides having to get a 1310/1330 U-Joint and possibly having to shorten the driveshaft, does anyone know of any other issues that could arise? In particular, will I have any transfer case issues? It's my understanding that the Rubicons have different transfer cases so I was just curious. I've read where this thing should bolt right in with the possible DS problem, but nothing else other than possibly a new e-brake cable. Just trying to make sure I'm aware of all potential "surprises" before getting started! What about the difference in brakes from these models? Will this require new axle shafts or should it be good to go as-is? Any input will be appreciated!!!! Lift: 2.5" OME with 3/4" spacers and JKS 1.25" BL. Just throwing that out there. Thanks!
Slip yoke or a drive shaft mod. a regear if you do not have 4.10 gears in the front.

Air compressor for the locker if the locker is in the d44. and maybe a track bar swaybar relocate.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
loaderopp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

It sounds like you have it figured out already. Like you said you will need parking brake cables if they don't come with the axle. The regular brake lines are the same. You might have to shorten your drive shaft, and you will need the U joint you mentioned. I would get the axle under then see if it needs to be shortend. It is a direct bolt in. The only thing you might look at is the sway bar nuts. They rust out easy. I had to fix them on my swap. Get the air pump for the locker if you can also.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...e-swap-901419/
Benderff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Are you going to re-gear your front D30 to 4.10? Because 4 wheel drive isnt going to work unless your axles are geared the same

Other than the issue with the driveshaft and e-brake cables it is my understanding that the axle will bolt right up. You just have to take care of gearing your front axle to match
That's depends on what gears are in the D44, he didn't say it was stock?...
Unread 02-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
shay4au
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks everyone!! I will be re-gearing the front D30 to match this D44 that I'm putting in, so gears won't be an issue. I don't have a SYE and had hoped I could avoid having to get one. Sure hope thing thing goes right in with minimum issues other than the DS!! I appreciate all of the input!!
shay4au is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
jdhallissey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You can use your drum ebrake cables still too. Your driveshaft will be a little tight. I did the same swap. You will be fine for a while but save up for a SYE and driveshaft.
jdhallissey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #10
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shay4au View Post
Thanks everyone!! I will be re-gearing the front D30 to match this D44 that I'm putting in, so gears won't be an issue. I don't have a SYE and had hoped I could avoid having to get one. Sure hope thing thing goes right in with minimum issues other than the DS!! I appreciate all of the input!!
Well i wish you the very best for your upgraded axle. good luck!
2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
loaderopp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #11
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sure if you want to make up some way to clamp them on. It is not a direct swap from drum to disc brakes. Personally I wouldn't trust the clamp method I have seen people do. I live on a hill and need my parking brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhallissey View Post
You can use your drum ebrake cables still too. Your driveshaft will be a little tight. I did the same swap. You will be fine for a while but save up for a SYE and driveshaft.
Maybe you could share with him how they will work since he will be asking that now.
Benderff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
That's depends on what gears are in the D44, he didn't say it was stock?...
Unless some knucklehead re-geared their rubi to 3.07 then a re-gear in the front is still needed in this situation....
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
1SlowPoke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you go with the CV DS you will also need adjustable upper control arms...
1SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.