rubicon with auto trans questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rubicon with auto trans questions

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 07-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #16
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have 5.13's and 33's and this is the perfect gearing. I am in Ouray, Co. right now wheeling for a week. I drove from Dolores to Telluride at 60 mph with cruise on running 2200rpm in OD without it down shifting then to Ouray with cruise on the whole way at altitude. If I go to 35's I will put 5.38's in. 4.1 t-case is way low now but that is why I put in a Rubicrawler in it last month to have 2.72 low which is perfect for most of my wheeling. When I got to Ouray I shot all over the tranny and lines with my IR gun and nothing was hotter than 182 degrees. I just turned 16k on the ticker. Hope this helps. BTW Unlimited 04 I am still going to get to the Rubicrawler right up when I get home from trip.

popeyesides is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #17
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyesides View Post
I have 5.13's and 33's and this is the perfect gearing. I am in Ouray, Co. right now wheeling for a week. I drove from Dolores to Telluride at 60 mph with cruise on running 2200rpm in OD without it down shifting then to Ouray with cruise on the whole way at altitude. If I go to 35's I will put 5.38's in. 4.1 t-case is way low now but that is why I put in a Rubicrawler in it last month to have 2.72 low which is perfect for most of my wheeling. When I got to Ouray I shot all over the tranny and lines with my IR gun and nothing was hotter than 182 degrees. I just turned 16k on the ticker. Hope this helps. BTW Unlimited 04 I am still going to get to the Rubicrawler right up when I get home from trip.
You can't do 5.38 without new lockers, so you might as well go for 5.89.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #18
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I know, I will have Rubi lockers for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
You can't do 5.38 without new lockers, so you might as well go for 5.89.
popeyesides is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #19
cragrat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the replies, sounds like i have some more thinking and research to do. i currently have 4.56 and 33's and have never lost a "battle" unless clearance becomes an issue. this jeep i'm looking at is just so badass i really wnt to grab it up. maybe ill get it and just keep on with 33's.
cragrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #20
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyesides View Post
I know, I will have Rubi lockers for sale.
I may want your front locker when it becomes available and if it is cheap enough, please let me know when that happens if you think about it.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #21
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

ruby gears & auto

Info:
2 rubis autos both have 35s one has 5.13 the other has 4.88. The 5.13 gets better fuel econoimy and flys up the passes to Silverton a lot faster.
Yes. Put the front stock locker in the rear to get rid of the lsd then put manual hubs and a detroit locker in front. Highly recomended by several hard core rub drivers, but to pricy for me. The manual hjubs are supposed to improve highway mileage??
Auto - yes, for sure. I sure think its designed different that any other auto I have had. Seems to work fine. I miss the manual converter lockup that we all use on the GM and Ford autos.
Paul
pwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #22
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So is there any other transmission that any have mated with the 4.0 that works better? With all the conversions going on out there I'd expect someone has been using another tranny other than a Jeep unit.
kuruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #23
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruma View Post
So is there any other transmission that any have mated with the 4.0 that works better? With all the conversions going on out there I'd expect someone has been using another tranny other than a Jeep unit.
AW4 as found in most Cherokees.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #24
fixwithabullet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Not sure what you're saying there but all Jeep automatics have an external automatic transmission cooler including the 42RLE and the 32RH it replaced. And when the axles have been regeared to a more appropriate lower ratio, the 42RLE is fine on the highway. Its overdrive ratio is just so steep that it needs a lower axle ratio to raise the engine rpms up to where the engine runs better.

If I was buying another Rubicon as I did a few months ago, I'd go with the automatic every time.
this comment keeps me relaxed about my rubis auto
fixwithabullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #25
danb303
2005 WK 

OP Keep in mind that Unlimited04 is in Denver...LOL You won't have to deal with the same elevation and mountains that he does.

I have a 05 Rubi auto and with 410 gears it can be somewhat frustrating. I will eventually upgrade to either 488 or 513. Just keep in mind that this tranny has the tallest OD that Jeep ever put in a Wrangler... well I'm not sure about the JK's?
danb303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission , tranny , auto , automatic , sye , drop , gears , rubicon , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.