Rubi stuck six inches of snow? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubi stuck six inches of snow?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 07-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
Jaybob7

Rubi stuck six inches of snow?

Hello gentlemen,
So I have a coworker whos son has an 04 Rubi (same as mine). The guy was telling me that his son drove the Jeep to the side of the road onto a somewhat big pile of snow. He got stuck and had to get towed out. This was in a neighborhood and the snow was just on one side of the jeep. The other side was dry. Apparently just a small amount on the front of the house. It was dry everywhere else.

I am confused on something... I understand that with four-wheel drive only one wheel on each axle is doing the actual work and the other one just follows along. (please correct me if I am wrong). In my head that makes sense.

If the left wheel is the one doing the driving, and the left wheel gets stuckI wonít go anywhere because the wheel that does the driving has lost traction, correct??? But why not turn on the rear (or both) lockers on for a split second to get you out? Especially in that small amount of snow?
I had asked my co-worker if his son was in 4-wd and he said yes. I can see not being able to put the jeep in gear because of the Jeep not being level. I have to have the Jeep on even ground before I can put it in 4-lo. But from what he was telling me he had tried all that.

Now that I think about it... I had asked his son if he has taken the Jeep off the highway yet and he said no. He was going to wait sometime before wheeling it. It's too new apparently. WHAT? WTF MATE! Its a Jeep! You are supposed to have fun with it too! Not just drive it on the highway all the time! The guy before you probably wheeled the crap out of it! Its already five years old!

Back on topic, sorry. Maybe the kid didnít know about the lockers, but what do I know, Iím just a neewb and hence the question in the first place!

I would appreciate any suggestions you guys may have on the subject. And thanks for reading.

[LEFT][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f123/"]Colorado Jeep Club Meber #205[/URL][/LEFT]
Jaybob7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Ive had my Rubi through 18" to 2 feet of snow. It was on 33s but, if your stuck, put in it 4LO and lock the axles. Should get you right out. And 6" shouldnt even be up the the bottom of the diff.

I highly reccomend the locker mod to use them in 2 and 4 hi.
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
Jaybob7

That's what I said! I've been considering the mod to turn on the lockers in 4-hi. Is this a pretty simple process?

[LEFT][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f123/"]Colorado Jeep Club Meber #205[/URL][/LEFT]
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

With any axle... open or LSD-equipped, both sides always receive a 50-50 split of the power being sent in via its pinion shaft. Yes, that is true... a 50:50 split. The problem is that the axle can only accept the amount of torque from the engine that it takes before one side starts spinning. Any more than that and the differential will let the side with the least traction spin.

So when in 4x4, all four tires are receiving 25% of the engine's total available torque. Again, the engine can deliver no more torque than it takes to start a tire spinning so once that point is reached, the tires with better traction don't get enough torque to keep you moving.

Here are two stickes in our 4x4 Equipment section I wrote several years ago that may clear things up. Sorry they are a bit wordy but...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/4...nswers-130169/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/w...ad-4wd-242949/

So without knowing to engage the lockers or knowing a few basic offroading techniques on how to get out of that situation, it is entirely possible for even a Rubicon to get stuck in such a deceivingly simple situation that many would consider easy to get out of.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybob7 View Post
That's what I said! I've been considering the mod to turn on the lockers in 4-hi. Is this a pretty simple process?
I used a paper clip at first, then after a while it fell out.
So then I took the dash apart again, not that bad once you do it a couple times, I cut and spliced using the chart(just search Rubi locker mod on gogle) so that I could engage them in 2 and 4 hi under 10 mph(no accidents on the highway) and 4 lo at any speed.
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
DH19922010
2004 LJ Wrangler 

He must have had some crappy bald tires or been mentally challenged to get stuck in 6in of snow. especially if only one side was in the snow i almost got stuck in 3ft of snow up in the mountains (good thing i had friends to get out and push ) but i wouldn't even need to use 4hi in 6ins!
DH19922010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #7
Jaybob7

When I first got my Rubi I had gone up to the mountains and going around a curve to what I thought was the road I started to slide down the side of the mountain. Thankfully the angle wasn't too steep and there were trees to keep the Jeep upright. I was stuck in three feet of snow. There was a rock on my front tire so there was no way I was going to get out of there. I just splipped and slid sideways. With the help of six guys a cherokee towing and lockers I was able to get out. After being stuck in some deep snow twice I had learned my lesson. I bought a winch.

The first time I got stuck I was in my 96 Grand Cherokee. I got stuck "really" good in the mountains. A Rubi had pulled me out and dragged me back down the road. I fell in love with that Jeep. I had always wanted one ever since. That thing was awesome. And now I have one! So its time to return the favor. When the Colorado snow hits I'll be carrying my snow shovel and snatch stap to return the favor when in need and hopefully turn someone else into a Jeeper.

Unread 07-20-2010, 02:08 AM   #8
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've had my Rubi in 4hi with the lockers locked in well over 3ft snow with 33s, pulling snowmobile trailers out of the field and have not been close to being stuck. I did get stuck one time 2 years ago though, but that was in about 1.5" of snow with almost bald tires 4/32nds remaining. Even the lockers couldn't get me out, so I walked back to my house about 200ft and got a shovel, dug around all 4 tires and it climbed right out. I would say the story above is either a lie, a fib, or the kid doesn't know what he is doing, and the jeep doesn't need to be flat to go into 4 low.

Also do the Rubicon Locker mod, I installed mine with a switch, so I don't accidentally hit the wrong buttons going down the road which could be bad, I mounted the switch down near my e-brake handle.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:12 AM   #9
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...I can see not being able to put the jeep in gear because of the Jeep not being level. I have to have the Jeep on even ground before I can put it in 4-lo. ...
What am I missing here? I shift mine in/out of 4Lo all the time in up/down hill situations and when off-camber. Why do you have to be on flat ground to do it?
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:15 AM   #10
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

you have snow in July :shock:
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:47 AM   #11
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Rubi Locker Switch Bypass - 1
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #12
Jaybob7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
What am I missing here? I shift mine in/out of 4Lo all the time in up/down hill situations and when off-camber. Why do you have to be on flat ground to do it?
When I try to shift it it really doesn't like it. it grinds like crazy and sometimes the lever doesn't move at all. I wonder if the previous owner was careless with it. I don't want to break something, so I make sure to be on an even surface before shifting to 4-lo.

Unread 07-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
Jaybob7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Thank you Sir!

Unread 07-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #14
06sportt
2006 TJ Wrangler 

As long as your stopped and in neutral it shouldn't make a difference oratleast to my knowledge it shouldn't.
06sportt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rubicon , locker , tj , wrangler , snow , stuck

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.