Rubi Owners: Where do your wheels go? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubi Owners: Where do your wheels go?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-19-2003, 03:58 PM   #1
04JeepTJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Rubi Owners: Where do your wheels go?

I notice that a lot of Rubi owners are putting new wheels on their modified rigs. What do you do with your MOAB wheels and MTR's?

I would get a set for my up and coming TJ but they're so damn overpriced - even on eBay! I could understand the MT/R's but I can't comprehend the rims.

Unread 12-19-2003, 04:23 PM   #2
AgentTJ

I have a set of 5 for sale for $1000 plus shipping.

Why do you think that is over priced? A set of somewhat rare aluminum wheels, and a set of tires with less than 3000 miles.

Rob
AgentTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2003, 04:29 PM   #3
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine went to Scootr.
Unread 12-19-2003, 04:32 PM   #4
stonethrowertj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04JeepTJ
I notice that a lot of Rubi owners are putting new wheels on their modified rigs. What do you do with your MOAB wheels and MTR's?

I would get a set for my up and coming TJ but they're so damn overpriced - even on eBay! I could understand the MT/R's but I can't comprehend the rims.

It's all about supply and demand.

There are some for sale for $650 in the FS section

Ebay tends to exaggerate prices on alot of things.
stonethrowertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2003, 06:28 PM   #5
04JeepTJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Personally I think AEV rims are nicer. And I'll be willing to be that I see less of them than the mass-market-but-rare Moab's.
Unread 12-19-2003, 06:52 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I can't figure out why anyone would want to buy factory wheels on the aftermarket for their Jeep when you can buy superb quality aftermarket wheels for less $$$ that at least make your Jeep look a bit different from what the factory ships.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 12-19-2003 at 07:00 PM..
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2003, 07:16 PM   #7
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Just get some AR 767 they are under $50 and look great..

Unread 12-19-2003, 11:48 PM   #8
Scootr
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyTJ
Mine went to Scootr.

Yep and thanks again Slinky!!!!!

[B] 2007 JK "X" 2dr [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Jeep Green[/COLOR],auto, 4.10's, 6 disc Infinity system with sub, 32's w/Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Series 8179 wheels, Smittybilt SRC side bars,Sirius 1 unit, Magellan Maestro 3100 GPS . Former Jeeps...02 and 05 TJ Sports
[COLOR="Red"]SEMPER FI ![/COLOR]
[/B]
Scootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2003, 12:39 PM   #9
xyz123
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
I can't figure out why anyone would want to buy factory wheels on the aftermarket for their Jeep when you can buy superb quality aftermarket wheels for less $$$ that at least make your Jeep look a bit different from what the factory ships.
Mine came with the "Gambler" style wheels. I like the look ok, but their a PITA when it comes to cleaning time, trying to clean around every "rivet", which is kinda why I'd LOVE to have either the "Canyons" or "Moab" style factory wheels.

Aftermarket wheels are very nice, but the lugnuts usually stick out, creating more work to clean them, unlike the canyons, which have an easy to clean smooth surface; And I don't think the Moabs would have to even be polished... but I haven't looked at them close enough to be sure about that statement.

I also like keeping the tire under the fender with the proper backspacing, which aids in clean-up time after a wheeling trip.

I love to use my jeep just as much a I love to keep it looking good; anything to make it easier is A-OK with me. If I wheel one day, I usually wax and clean the next. (I know, it's kinda a sickness)

But anyway, for me, that is why I want to buy some different factory wheels vs. aftermarket.
xyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2003, 04:40 PM   #10
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ah-hah, Scootr; that 'splains the rims on your truly sharp Replicon!
Damn, I like that blue.
Moon
'07 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD-da kid's ride
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2003, 07:58 PM   #11
Scootr
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
Ah-hah, Scootr; that 'splains the rims on your truly sharp Replicon!
Damn, I like that blue.
Moon

Yep,SlinkyTJ and I worked out a great deal...I love the "Replicon"...If I'd thought of that when I was getting the hood decal done that's exactly the word I woulda put on there. I think it's hilarious!! Yeah I really like the intense blue color. I don't see very many around here on the road at all in that color

[B] 2007 JK "X" 2dr [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Jeep Green[/COLOR],auto, 4.10's, 6 disc Infinity system with sub, 32's w/Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Series 8179 wheels, Smittybilt SRC side bars,Sirius 1 unit, Magellan Maestro 3100 GPS . Former Jeeps...02 and 05 TJ Sports
[/B]
Unread 12-20-2003, 08:03 PM   #12
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Scoot- Tell me about your exhaust system.
BTW; do you do a five tire rotation?
I had promised to put the vernier back on mine after I rotated and post it here.
Moon
'07 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD-da kid's ride
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2003, 08:10 PM   #13
Scootr
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
Scoot- Tell me about your exhaust system.
BTW; do you do a five tire rotation?
I had promised to put the vernier back on mine after I rotated and post it here.
Moon
I do a 4 tire rotation front to back.My thinking on this is that the next set of MT/R's I get I'll only need to get 3 since the 4th(spare will still be new. I'll use one of the old ones as a spare (since I'll only need in emergency situations anyhow). It'll save me a little coin. As for my exhaust...it was recommended to me by a little ole muffler shop down the street...It hasn't been a disappointment one bit.Shoot me your email address and I'll send over the sound clip I made of it in my driveway

[/B]
Unread 12-20-2003, 10:05 PM   #14
PrfctAggression
Web Wheeler

One thing I'm not a big fan of about the Moab wheels is that they tend to get snow and ice(presumably gumbo mud would do the same thing) built up in them when I go out to play, and if I don't do a careful job of cleaning them out, the weight of the buildup is enough to unblance the wheels and cause severe vibrations above 60 mph. I never had this problem with the factory wheels on my Ram or Dakota.
[COLOR=yellow]Yellow Jeep Club and Redneck Jeep Club member #666 [/COLOR]
PrfctAggression is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2003, 12:45 AM   #15
Scootr
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrfctAggression
One thing I'm not a big fan of about the Moab wheels is that they tend to get snow and ice(presumably gumbo mud would do the same thing) built up in them when I go out to play, and if I don't do a careful job of cleaning them out, the weight of the buildup is enough to unblance the wheels and cause severe vibrations above 60 mph. I never had this problem with the factory wheels on my Ram or Dakota.

I had mine loaded with snow the last few days here in NE Ohio and drove 18 miles to work on I-77 with no balance problems at all. They don't seem to collect anymore snow than my 01 Dakota's factory rims did. Hell I try and get into as much snow as I possible can

[/B]

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.