Rubi D44 for $1400 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubi D44 for $1400

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
jays-tj
When is it enough?

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rubi D44 for $1400

I was just looking through my Peterson 4 wheel and off road magazine and it has an article on the JK Rubi D44 Axle for $1,400. E-locker, 4.10 gears, disc brakes and the front one is high pinion. That sounds like a screaming deal!! It's not a direct bolt in swap to a tj, but the article makes it sound like the swap isn't too bad. Has anyone heard of this or done this swap? I'm not looking into it for me, but a buddy is looking at upgrading. Any thoughts?

Unread 02-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
TJW909
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I read the same info let's hear some info if anyone has done this. I'am getting ready to do an axle swap rebuild of some sort with the 35 thread going and then seeing this I'am trying to make my mind up and get rolling.
TJW909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The bolt pattern is different for the rim. 5x5.5 I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
TJW909
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't like that part but you are right the pattern is different
Unread 02-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
CCrew
2006 LJ Wrangler 

And the axle is 5" wider. If you search it's been pretty much beaten to death here and I haven't seen anyone sucessfully do an install.

-R
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
TJW909
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
And the axle is 5" wider. If you search it's been pretty much beaten to death here and I haven't seen anyone sucessfully do an install.

-R
OUCH. I did not check on the length thats a lot. Thaks for the info
Unread 02-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

Could you not get some spacers for the frontend and also get the 5 on 5 lug pattern? Problem solved if that a viable options.
Unread 02-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think you misunderstood...the JK axle is 5" wider. That in itself is a big problem. Spacers will make it even worse, so you have to buy new wheels with a lot of backspacing, and it still wouldn't be desirable. I'm sure it can be done, but you'd have to do both axles.
Unread 02-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
newbs
Jeepaholic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

JK axle is wider and that would not be a problem, IE wheels with less backspacing. JK axle is actually 5x5 not 5x5.5 like old cj's either use adapters which you can already buy or just buy new wheels, brackettry is where your main problems are. The JK 44's also are stronger than TJ 44's thicker tubes higher spline count and maybe more.
newbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbs View Post
JK axle is wider and that would not be a problem, IE wheels with less backspacing. JK axle is actually 5x5 not 5x5.5 like old cj's either use adapters which you can already buy or just buy new wheels, brackettry is where your main problems are. The JK 44's also are stronger than TJ 44's thicker tubes higher spline count and maybe more.
Wheels with less backspacing will make them stick out even farther. You'd need wheels with more backspacing to tuck them under. Unless you find/use a wheel with a 6" +/- backspace, it's going to be a pretty wide track. Which may not be a problem, but you'd have to be willing to accept that.
Unread 02-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
badassr1
1995 XJ Cherokee 

haha I did this swap front and rear... I did it under my xj though. Front all you have to do is move the spring perches in 1 3/4's... Rear is simple as well... Just a little cutting and welding. And yes your right its tube is much thicker and axle shaft are much larger. And the witch is alwsome. Wider is a good thing, keeps you right side up. Best money spent for sure.
badassr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #12
CCrew
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassr1 View Post
haha I did this swap front and rear... I did it under my xj though. Front all you have to do is move the spring perches in 1 3/4's... Rear is simple as well... Just a little cutting and welding. And yes your right its tube is much thicker and axle shaft are much larger. And the witch is alwsome. Wider is a good thing, keeps you right side up. Best money spent for sure.
Simple for your XJ rear. Brackets for your leaf springs and you're pretty much done. By the time you buy a bracket kit, move all the brackets/convert to TJ setup you're probably in the ballpark of a turnkey 44 already set up for a TJ. Nothing really gained after you have to replace the wheels (more$ ) to deal with the bolt pattern.

Front I could make an argument for considering it's a HP axle, but the TJ knuckles won't fit that either. Any way you go it's *much* more than $1400 an end to do the swap.

-R
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #13
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...Front I could make an argument for considering it's a HP axle, but the TJ knuckles won't fit that either. Any way you go it's *much* more than $1400 an end to do the swap.

-R
The JK front axles are complete with brakes and everything, so the TJ knuckles being different is no big deal.
Unread 02-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

some guy on the JU TJ forum is doing it right now.
Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #15
jays-tj
When is it enough?

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Simple for your XJ rear. Brackets for your leaf springs and you're pretty much done. By the time you buy a bracket kit, move all the brackets/convert to TJ setup you're probably in the ballpark of a turnkey 44 already set up for a TJ. Nothing really gained after you have to replace the wheels (more$ ) to deal with the bolt pattern.

Front I could make an argument for considering it's a HP axle, but the TJ knuckles won't fit that either. Any way you go it's *much* more than $1400 an end to do the swap.

-R

the Jk front is a high pinion. I haven't done the JK swap or read about the JK swap but a D44 ready to bolt in to a tj is around $2500 +/-. hard for me to belive that a shop couldn't cut and or weld the correct brackets on a jk D44 for less than $1,100.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.