Rubbing with 3 inch Lift, possible solutions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rubbing with 3 inch Lift, possible solutions?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 06-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
Krytos
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Rubbing with 3 inch Lift, possible solutions?

I'm running a Zone Offroad 3 inch lift with 33x12.5 inch tires on my 2006 LJ and after an alignment, I'm getting mild to moderate of rubbing at full lock (turning left). My tires still turn and its more of a rumbling sound and feeling than a catastrophic issue.

Looking back, I should've just bought the 4 inch lift and been done with it, but at the time, saving $60 must have felt like a good idea so yeah.

So now I'm trying to get rid of this rubbing.

I eventually want to run TNT tube fenders, I know these allow for bigger tires with less lift, but was trying to space out expenses. If these will fix my problem though, I might just pull the trigger on them early.

I think a body lift would help too, but I (personally)feel body lifts look kinda weird and would rather avoid them or keep them to an inch or less.

Would increasing my lift help? What would be needed to go an inch higher?

I'm in Miami, so most of my wheeling is trailriding or light mudding, not a lot of rocks to crawl here.

Thanks in advance.

Unread 06-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You need wheels with less backspacing or wheel spacers.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
MAMMOTH
Wooly Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 3" BDS lift (basically same company) and 33's and have no issues.
Rim backspacing is the issue.
2007 JK Unlimited - The wife's ride.
MAMMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
Dwebber18
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'll give another vote for you need wheels with the correct backspacing.
Dwebber18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
pmcjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Did you use a adjustable trackbar or redrill the hole for the stock trackbar? Sounds like the axle is setting to far to one side if its only doing it on left hand turns.
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
Actingkindaloco
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same issue, that horrible sound are the tires rubbing the lower control arms when turning all the way. You can add washers to the steering stops or change the rims. I like my rims, so I added a set of SpiderTrax wheel spacers to solve the problem.
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Have to agree with what the others are saying. Need less backspacing, or add wheel spacers. I have the same problem with the 5" backspacing on my OEM rubicon rims. I know I need 4 1/2" or less, but I just live with the tires hitting the lower control arms for now. I know not to lock the wheels.

I have a 4" lift, and am about to switch out the 33's for 35's, and will address it then.

I am wondering if wheel spacers cause premature bearing failure due to added leverage, but thinking about it, it should be the same as rims with less backsacing isn't it? Yes, I'm anal....
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

four things to search & learn about:
- backspacing
- washers on the steering stops
- bumpstop extensions
- centering the front and rear axles with brackets, adjustable track bars, and reinforcing the mount + drilling a new hole...while avoiding interference issues.

Hint: see signature.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
Krytos
2006 LJ Wrangler 

@pmcjeep, no its a stock track bar and stock mounting. Could this be a trackbar issue? Its Just left turns.

As for the spacers am I right in believing they just sit between the wheel and the hub?
Unread 06-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krytos View Post
@pmcjeep, no its a stock track bar and stock mounting. Could this be a trackbar issue? Its Just left turns.

As for the spacers am I right in believing they just sit between the wheel and the hub?
Where is it rubbing? Swaybar link or control arm? Which side rubs when turning left? With a stock trackbar your passenger side front tire should be pulled much closer to everything. An adjustable trackbar can help as it allows you to recenter the axle, but has everyone as told you stock wheels have too much back spacing to run 12.5" tires.
Unread 06-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Depends on how bad it bugs ya to what you do to fix it . When I have had that situation in the past I just sopped turning as sharp , easier on axle Ujoints anyway . If you cant stop yourself from turning it to the stops then add a washer or so to the stop so you cant do it any more if the self control method fails and if you want new wheels, here is your excuse and then their is the old reliable Spidertraxx spacers . Choose your cure.
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
SpeedJeep
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

It's already been mentioned but you're going to have to center your axles and check your backspacing. If you're still running the stock TJ wheels pictured in your profile I would start with backspacing. And since you're in Miami be on the look out for zombies.
Unread 06-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
Krytos
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Wheels are not stock, they are Pro Comps. 4.5 inches of backspacing.

As it is, I'm thinking its a track-bar issue, it only rubs going left on full lock. Theres no rubbing on the other side. That being said, I'm making a Home Depot run this weekend to buy some washers. I think 1 or 2 on each side should do it, but I might not even bother doing the side that's not rubbing. The wheel spacers look interesting, but if I can fix it with 2 dollars worth of washers, then I'm gonna go that route.

Long term solution is an adjustable track-bar and I'm gonna start looking into that. JKS and Currie both make ones that look to be pretty well regarded so I'll probably go that route by the end of the summer.

Thank's again for all the help.
Unread 06-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #14
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

4.5" is the max you can run and still have enough room for 12.50 wide tires, so slight rubbing when turning full lock is not surprising.

I have 4.5" backspaced wheels and 12.50 wide tires and I rub on the lower arms when turning full lock in either direction.

On the side that is not rubbing, I wouldn't mess with the steering stops.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krytos View Post
Long term solution is an adjustable track-bar and I'm gonna start looking into that. JKS and Currie both make ones that look to be pretty well regarded so I'll probably go that route by the end of the summer.
make sure you do your homework on the clearance issues. you will need appropriate bumpstop extensions or you'll be bashing your track bar into the diff cover or tie-rod.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
33s , adjustable track bar , rubbing , track bar , zone 3" lift

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.