RPM related whine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RPM related whine

Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 11-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

RPM related whine

So the temperature has started to drop and I have recently developed a whining noise under the hood. It is related to the rpm's. It does it when driving and when stopped. I believe it is coming from something being run by the serpentine belt.

I tried turning the steering wheel back and forth and the pitch of the noise did not change, so I don't think it is the steering pump.

I turned on the A/C and off again a few times, and it seems the noise does change. However, this could have been from coincidence.

When the jeep is warmed up and driven for a bit, the whine is barely noticeable if at all.

Here is a video of the sound. I know the wind noise blocks out some of it. http://s981.photobucket.com/user/dou...ee964.mp4.html

Secondly, I have this ticking/clicking noise coming from under the hood. It is coming from the black can looking thing that is pointed to in the picture. What is this noise?

Thanks

dougiefresh131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
number40Fan
2014 JK Wrangler 

That is the evap solenoid. It will do that. Don't worry.

Pull the belt and spin all of the driven parts by hand. You'll find the noise.
number40Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok thanks.
Bump for any other troubleshooting ideas
dougiefresh131 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.