Rough Idle when Cold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Idle when Cold

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Titleistprov21
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Rough Idle when Cold

Hi all,

I'm new the the Jeep community. Just bought a '99 Sahara with 127k miles. Absolutely love it!

I would appreciate any insight into my problem: When it is cold in the morning and I start er up, it has a very rough idle. Jumps from 500rpms to 1500 rpms very quickly and goes up and down like that until she warms up. and after the engine warmed up, my Check Engine light came on. I am going to run the codes today.

Even after the engine warms up, regardless of air temperature, sometimes it will idle at 600rpm, and other times it will idle around 1400rpms, but it doesn't fluctuate like it does when it is cold.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help,

-Patrick

Titleistprov21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
OutermostJeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) ? Do a search for it and see if anyone's symptoms match.
OutermostJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to Jeep forum.Clean the IAC with a good carb cleaner and you'll be fine.Post # 2 for details.Check the codes though and it will tell you exactly what's wrong.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/iac-question-489089/
Unread 11-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutermostJeep View Post
Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) ? Do a search for it and see if anyone's symptoms match.
TPS would be the problem if it did it while driving and not just at idle.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.