Rough Idle and surging engine after a battery drain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Idle and surging engine after a battery drain

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 07-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
eruji
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Rough Idle and surging engine after a battery drain

Left my jeep untouched for about 4 days, went to start it and it did the rapid clicking noise. I was able to jump start it drive it 10 miles down the road and at my first stop light the engine idled low and died.

I could start it and was able to gas it at the same time to get it pulled off the road. Then after a few more failed starts the battery was dead again. Towed back to home, replaced the battery and cleaned out the throttle body and the IAC solenoid. As i was cleaning out the IAC i accidentally pulled the plunger out of it, so the threaded part was yanked out and didnt seem to want to screw back on, meaning it was just endlessly spinning. So im assuming that is my problem. Just seems weird to have both the battery and the IAC go out at the same time.

So reassembled the semi broken IAC and clean throttle body and new battery. And now it starts but will either die after i let go of the throttle or it will surge at a very low rpm and sound like its on the verge of dying. Does that sound like an IAC issue?

eruji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Charge your battery overnight. Not an hour, not three hours... either all day or, better, overnight. The engine will either not run or barely run with a dead or weak battery. The type of alternator the TJ uses requires a good solid 12v from the battery before it can produce enough power to run the engine.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
eruji
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hi Jerry,

Its a brand new battery, that should not be an issue right?
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Whoops I missed where you said you replaced the battery. The computer gets reset after a new battery is installed so it has to relearn all its parameters. Give it a bit more time to relearn those parameters if the battery is now good.

Unread 07-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
eruji
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yes the battery is now good, no problem starting. When i try to start it, i have to give it some gas to keep it running and then i let off on the accelerator pedal and the RPM's dance somewhere between 0 and the first dot.. seems way too low. it will surge a dozen times or so then die. I have not driven it around yet because im afraid it going to stall in the street.
Unread 07-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just drive it bro. Mine did the same thing after my last battery died. The battery was only in for a few months but the battery had previously sat on the shelf for over a year (production date stamped on the side), It was out of water and went haywire. Replaced with a new one and it did this. 10 minute drive and it was running normal.
Unread 07-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
TexasTeaJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

No check engine light?

-Davy Crockett
TexasTeaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Time to replace that broken IAC.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 02:46 AM   #9
eruji
2001 TJ Wrangler 

broken IAC was definitely the issue. Here is a pic of the broken one:

I did take it out for a 10 minute drive just to confirm that the computer needed to be reset and it did still surge on a low idle. Replaced the IAC and all was well again.

Thanks everyone for their input.
Unread 07-19-2012, 03:57 AM   #10
redo4x
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Had the same problem with mine. The fps sensor would throw a code here and there and give a little trouble. My wife left the lights on at work one day and had rough idle and shutting off all the way home. The fps was throwing multiple codes, reset the computer and it ran fine. I have since then replaced the sensor and it runs great.
Unread 07-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
eruji
2001 TJ Wrangler 

redo4x, what exactly is the FPS sensor? are we talking about the same IAC?
Unread 07-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #12
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The FPS was a typo, he meant TPS sensor... throttle position sensor.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.