Rough idle and low RPM in drive...I need help - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough idle and low RPM in drive...I need help

Get DBA Brake Rotors From ExtremeTerrain.com!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #46
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Guys, just an update. New gasket is in, the engine is more responsive I find for the bit that I have driven since last night and today. The rough idle still remains tho :@. Does anyone know if the downstream sensors would make a difference? That's pretty much the only things I haven't done yet. I guess its one of those things...but I am still gonna try and find it. Still open to suggestions so keep them coming

Rico25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #47
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Have you tried replacing the MAP sensor?

Personally, i wouldnt replace the O2 sensors if they arent throwing any codes.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 05:44 AM   #48
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Where is the map sensor?
Unread 07-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #49
1HUNTS69
2004 LJ Wrangler 

On your post on 6/29 with the picture of the throttle body you can see the map sensor. Keep trying been looking for the same solution for my 04Lj for a couple of months now i fell like a parts changer.
1HUNTS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #50
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I hear you bud, nothing like an unending tune up...but I found something online about someone with a similar problem and they said they had to check the fuel bent hose that is right beside the filler hose on the gas cap. They advise to take he jeep for a drive and then let it sit for a couple hours and then open the gas cap. There should be a hiss sound as in opening a bottle of coke. I am going to try that
Unread 07-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #51
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cj-yj-tj-...eleration.html
That's the link to the thread...read the whole thing, it says it is for the yj but I am willing to try anything at this point. They also go on to say that it could be an exhaust issue but they describe the symptoms a lil more specifically... Good luck and let me know what u come up with
Unread 07-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #52
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So I am running out of ideas on what I can do besides driving the jeep till something dies on it. So the there is a bit of loss of power when I hit approx. 80km and the rpms drop a bit and i have to give it a bit on the gas... I don't know if it's a related issue or something different. Does anyone think I could have a faulty fuel injector?
Unread 11-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #53
OnTheFence

Did you ever resolve this??
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #54
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

No luck. Haven't found the source. I am starting think it might be a vacuum leak from my sent system. U having the same issues?
Unread 11-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #55
Mboelts
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Here is what I would start with:

1) Recheck the plugs, are any of them dirty or wet compared to the others? If they are swap them to a different cylinder.

2) Check the coil, Make sure all of the springs are lined up and attached, carefully pull the rubber boots and make sure the springs are fully seated on the rail itself, when the coil rail gets pulled off and put back on, sometime the springs can come loose from the rail or get bent to the side and not make full contact with the plug or plugs.

3) If all of that seems fine, start unplugging injectors, if you get to one where it sudden seems like the engine is running smoother, it most likely is an injector. I would then pull the injectors and try moving it to a different cylinder.

4) If all of that does not help at all, try a seafoam treatment, I know a lot of guys on here don't believe in it, but if you have a lot of carbon build up in the head might be the simplest and easiest way to clean it up.

Downstream O2 sensors will not cause a rough running engine, because they just measure the emissions coming out of the pipe. The upstream ones can make the engine run lean or rich. But if you start replacing things...please, PLEASE PLEASE only used Mopar sensors. I know they might cost you more, but instead of buying a cheap sensor and having it fail and then having to buy a Mopar one, trust me it is cheaper to do it right the first time.

Another question for you, how does the engine run when its revved? does it smooth out or is still rough up top as well?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KCCO!
Mboelts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #56
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The plugs are burning, second set since April. I have done the upstream o2's already. I guess the only thong left is to check the coil and injectors from this point on. Everything else has been done. Would a vacuum leak cause this? And do u have any videos of how to properly pull the injectors.
Unread 11-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #57
1HUNTS69
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry I didn't post this sooner but when I was on vacation in August the problem got worst and finally threw a code misfire cylinder #3. Since I had replaced plugs, o2 sensors, and cleaned IAC. The only thing left was the coil pack lucky me it was one unit and for under $100.00 it stopped all my rough idle.
Unread 11-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #58
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HUNTS69 View Post
Sorry I didn't post this sooner but when I was on vacation in August the problem got worst and finally threw a code misfire cylinder #3. Since I had replaced plugs, o2 sensors, and cleaned IAC. The only thing left was the coil pack lucky me it was one unit and for under $100.00 it stopped all my rough idle.
when you say coil pack, you mean the whole rail?

where did you get it?

I've been suspecting mine to be the culprit for quite some time now.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #59
Mboelts
2004 LJ Wrangler 

You can tell its the coil if the plugs are wet when you pull them. If they are not firing they will be coated in gas.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KCCO!
Mboelts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #60
1HUNTS69
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Got mine at napa longer warranty and same maker for mopar, and being on vaction it limted my choices for part dealers.

NAPA
Part Number: ECH IC399
Warranty:36 Months or 36,000 Miles Whichever Occurs First
LIST $119.00

Last edited by 1HUNTS69; 11-27-2012 at 08:00 PM..

Tags
low rpm , please help , rough idle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.