Rough idle and low RPM in drive...I need help - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough idle and low RPM in drive...I need help

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #31
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

what and where is a MAP sensor? and is it expensive/ hard to do?

Rico25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #32
20024BangerTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It's around 60 bucks takes 2 min to change. Google it
20024BangerTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #33
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys,
Just a little update, I found what I think is a cracked gasket on the IAC housing unit that attaches to the TB...Someone told me if I spray brake cleaner fluid on the area where I think the leak is and it changes the idle of the engine, that's probably my problem? Any thoughts?
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #34
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico25 View Post
Hey guys,
Just a little update, I found what I think is a cracked gasket on the IAC housing unit that attaches to the TB...Someone told me if I spray brake cleaner fluid on the area where I think the leak is and it changes the idle of the engine, that's probably my problem? Any thoughts?
that leak is not helping any, thats for sure. sealing up that leak might be all you need to do. cant hurt.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #35
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok guys, just a quick question. I am replacing the gasket on the housing for the IAC that attaches to the throttle body, I bought a gasket pack for it, comes with 4 sheets, but they are all for different things tho. One is for " air cleaner, one is for "oil and coolant", one for "water pump" and the last is for "fuel pump". I know this sounds stupid but I'm not sure which one would be best, I am thinking the air cleaner one. I also got the gasket in tube stuff ( high heat rated). Which one is better?
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #36
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

doesnt sound like your gasket pack includes the IAC gasket. the gasket in a tube (RTV) can be used. but there are some RTVs that are approved for use with sensors, you might look into. not sure if high temp red is approved for sensors.

A Hokie build

Unread 06-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #37
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's not for the sensor itself, it's for the sensor housing that bolts onto the T body, the IAC plugs into the backside of the housing and then the housing bolts onto the left side of the T body ( looking from the grill at the engine)
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #38
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

i would still be cautious of using an RTV that isnt sensor safe. the IAC and TPS are both very close.

A Hokie build

Unread 06-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #39
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

image-2603595898.jpg

The idle air control module at the top of the pic, that housing gasket right there is what I need to fix I think...hopefully it will stop the bad idle
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #40
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I will be...I am gonna try the sheet of gasket paper stuff first and see how that goes...thanks for the heads up tho, wouldn't have known that myself. Any thoughts on what type of gasket material I should use? I was leaning towards the air cleaner one
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #41
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

i would assume the air cleaner one would suffice.

A Hokie build

Unread 06-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #42
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would assume the gaskets are heat rated right? I feel like an idiot asking some of these questions lol
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #43
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

yes, they should do just fine.

i wouldnt use generic ones to seal the exhaust, but for the intake they should be fine.

A Hokie build

Unread 07-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #44
Mywrangler94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ah....guys..the iac is an "O" ring. Thats what seals the iac to the throttle body. Not a paper gasket. The "O" ring is the "gasket". Secondly, you say the dealership said you have a "lean" code? Lean codes are caused by a few things, mostly a vacuum leak. I would not doubt that you have an intake leak. That would cause a crappy idle. In any event, take a can of NON FLAMMABLE BRAKE cleaner, and spray down your intake manifold where it meets the head.. ANY change in idle means a leak... period. Be it a bad manifold gasket or cracked manifold......
Mywrangler94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #45
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I know the iac is a ring gasket... I am talking about the housing that connects directly into the T body, not the iac connection part. and also the car is not throwing any codes what so ever...just that it is running lean as per the comp at chrysler. Thanks for the tip tho, keep them coming

Last edited by Rico25; 07-02-2012 at 12:18 AM..

Tags
low rpm , please help , rough idle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.