Rough idle and low RPM in drive...I need help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough idle and low RPM in drive...I need help

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #16
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Update on the idle

I forgot to mention that the idle isn't constant, it comes and goes as it pleases lol. But it is there more often then not but only when in drive and stopped. I am not sure if it is my imagination, but the engine seems to have a bit of hesitation in it.... But I could just be losing my mind lol!

Thnx again for all the tips... Keep em coming

Rico25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:18 AM   #17
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I believe the upstream o2 sensors are the ones to replace.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
I believe the upstream o2 sensors are the ones to replace.
What is the proper spark plug that I should be using? I need the part #
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #19
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico25 View Post
What is the proper spark plug that I should be using? I need the part #
Champion 7034's work well...
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #20
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Champion 7034's work well...
Are those the truck plugs, Knuckelhead? I can't seem to find them. I just got the normal Champs for these things.
Unread 06-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #21
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorRenegade View Post
Are those the truck plugs, Knuckelhead? I can't seem to find them. I just got the normal Champs for these things.
Your local automotive parts store should have no problem looking them up?...
Unread 06-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #22
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Your local automotive parts store should have no problem looking them up?...

Yeah, the parts guys 'round here are generally useless. Which is strange, because Windsor and Detroit are naturally, full of gearheads. Normally just some young kid who's really only doing counter duty. I've asked and they say they're discontinued/hard to come by, which I thought was weird.

I'll have to wait till one of the old dudes are at the counter. They've never steered me wrong.
Unread 06-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #23
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, so my next move is to get champ spark plug( 7034) and replace them, and double check the ignition coil when doing so to ensure good contact. If the doesn't work then I will take out the upstream o2 sensor. Do I have to do any wire cutting or anything? Or is it just plug and play with 7/8 o2 sensor socket?
Unread 06-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #24
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Or is it just plug and play with 7/8 o2 sensor socket?
That's it.
Unread 06-17-2012, 03:20 AM   #25
mattlock1983
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie
i have a similar problem. 04 TJ with 42RLE. Engine idles around 3-400 RPM when its hot outside. Not terribly rough, but you can tell that its stumbling over itself. put it in neutral and the RPMs climb up at touch and the rough idle goes away.

Ive cleaned my throttle body replaced my TPS. IAC is next on the list to replace.

interested in seeing what becomes of this.

i would suspect that your plugs are not the proper ones; and thinking about it, that might be my problem.
When I had this problem, a computer reset fixed it. After cleaning the iac, etc.. I had to pull the battery cables off for about 15 min, to force the computer to reset and "relearn" the " new" air/fuel curve.
~2.5" Lift, LT285 MTR's, Currie HD steering, Currie Anti-Rock, Nth Oil Pan Skid, Kilby Steering Skid, Warn HS9500, Rockcrusher Diff covers, Nth Slider rear DS skid, custom bumpers, PIAA reverse lights, Tuffy Console, Uniden PC78 elite CB, Nth TT (not installed)
mattlock1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #26
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlock1983 View Post
When I had this problem, a computer reset fixed it. After cleaning the iac, etc.. I had to pull the battery cables off for about 15 min, to force the computer to reset and "relearn" the " new" air/fuel curve.
Ive reset my computer a few times since the onset of this issue. ill try a new IAC sometime soon and see if that clears it up.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #27
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Update on rough idle

Hey guys,
So I changed out the o2 sensors ( upstream) and still no luck. Any other suggestions that I can check? I still haven't done the new spark plugs but I checked the connection on the ignition coil and it seems ok. Could it be a fuel delivery problem? I know the fuel filter and pump are in the gas tank but should I check the fuel pressure or something along those lines?

Thanks guys
Unread 06-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #28
mattlock1983
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey guys,
Any other suggestions that I can check?

Could it be a fuel delivery problem? I know the fuel filter and pump are in the gas tank but should I check the fuel pressure or something along those lines?

Thanks guys
have you checked to see if it is throwing any codes?

as far as fuel delivery problems: i see that you have a 2004, and so i can assume that you have <80,000 miles. if this is the case, i would not immediately consider the fuel filter to be the problem. however, i also see that you are located in Canada, and i am unfamiliar with the fuel requirements in Canada. if you suspect that you have been using "dirty" gas, then it may well be posible that your fuel filter is at fault. however, i feel like if it were in fact a dirty fuel filter at fault, (or any fuel delivery problem) then you would notice it across all rpm bands, esp at WOT, and not just a bit of stumbling at idle. that is my $0.02
~2.5" Lift, LT285 MTR's, Currie HD steering, Currie Anti-Rock, Nth Oil Pan Skid, Kilby Steering Skid, Warn HS9500, Rockcrusher Diff covers, Nth Slider rear DS skid, custom bumpers, PIAA reverse lights, Tuffy Console, Uniden PC78 elite CB, Nth TT (not installed)
mattlock1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #29
Rico25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It is not giving any codes and when I was at the jeep dealership ( against my better judgement) the mechanic mentioned that the fuel mixture is on the lean side. Should i try the battery disconnect and the computer "relearn" the specs of the engine?...
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #30
20024BangerTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The same thing happened to me try changing your MAP sensor
20024BangerTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low rpm , please help , rough idle

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.