Rough Idle and CEL after tune up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Idle and CEL after tune up

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 06-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
deacfire

Rough Idle and CEL after tune up

Hey everyone

So last week I decided to do a tune up on my 97 TJ (6 cylinder). Spark Plugs i removed were old but in fairly good shape.

I replaced the air filter, the plugs and wires. Used Champion double platinum plugs and champion wires. Since the tune up the TJ has been idling rough and the CEL has come on. When idling it sounds like it is misfiring and it smells of unburnt gas. Also exhaust from tail pipe, while not smoky, is a little black.

I rechecked all the plugs and wire and the plug has a nice black coating on them (after only 200km or so) and the mileage has noticeably declined.

Any idea what may be the problem? The jeep was fine before i did the tune up so not sure why is is acting up now!

deacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't use double platinum plugs in the older motors. Switch to the standard plugs and you'll be good to go.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Change the plugs. Use plain old stock plugs.

Tags
rough idle , cel , check engine light

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.